I could use a support buddy

Options
Hi. I'm 63 (will be 64 at the end of the month), but young at heart because I'm around college age students all of the time. I'm a professor at a major research university. I'm 50 lbs overweight and I hate that I'm in this situation. I've achieved a lot in my life, but losing weight has not been one of them. I'm in fairly good health, but if I could shed these pounds it would be amazing--even half of them! I'm prepared for slow and steady change, but I could use a support buddy. Recently I read the "Belly Fat Cure," and it made a lot of sense to me: basically low sugar and complex carbs. Eat less, move more, and drink water!

I have trouble motivating myself to get to the gym, but once I get there I'm fine. Even walking is enjoyable if I just do it! Anyone care to join me on this journey? (Note: I'm a gay man is a long-term relationship, just in case that makes a difference to anyone. All I'm looking for is honest and continued support.) Thanks, and good luck to all of you--one day at a time! Marty

Replies

• peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I wish you all the luck in the world. I will add you to my friend list. I would love to pat you on the back.
  • PST0622
    PST0622 Posts: 115
    Options
    Welcome!!! I will add you too!!! We all need support on this mission!!!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent :-)
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.. Marty!
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Hey! :) i have trouble getting up and motivated occasionally but i think of all the motivation from my friends here and it helps me get through my workouts.
  • OnlyGodCan
    OnlyGodCan Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Add me if you like
  • klineksk
    klineksk Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Marty,
    Feel free to add me to your friend list. I have been on MFP for the last 105 days and have lost 18 pounds so far. For me, making the connection between calories in and calories out has been the key. I know, no duh, but it is amazing how much more motivated to exercise I am if I know that I have a dinner engagement that night and I want to be able to have a glass of wine or a few bites of dessert, etc.
    More so than having friends on MVP, I would highly recommend an exercise buddy. You know, the person you will let down if you choose to not go to the gym or on a walk, etc. I have the 5 minute rule when going to the gym, especially on those days when my motivation is low. It goes like this.: You just have to exercise for 5 minutes and then do a mental check-in with yourself. If you still don't want to exercise, hang it up for the day. More likely than not, since you made the attempt to get there, you will continue on with your workout. I personally enjoy spinning classes and now am up to 3 times a week on these. I also swim 2 times a week and try to fit some walks in as well. I keep saying that I will make it to bootcamp but am still feeling some intimidation regarding that.
    Good luck and hang in there. Go for losing the 50, no matter how long it takes!
    Kathy
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal! :smile: