New Vegan

Options
Is anyone out there vegan? I'm pescatarian for ten plus years, but I eat vegan twice a week. I think I'm ready to try cutting out fish, dairy, and eggs for good. What are your favorite resources for recipes and information? How long have you been vegan? Is it more expensive?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    For general recipes I love Pinterest. You can search for "vegan" plus whatever you're craving and almost always find a recipe. My favorite cookbook authors are Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Terry Hope Romero, and Bryant Terry. For nutritional information, veganhealth.org is a great, evidence-based website.

I've been vegan for about ten years. I started with a two-week challenge because I thought there was no way I could do it. It wound up being not much of a challenge, so I never switched back.

Veganism, in and of itself, isn't more expensive. You can eat vegan on just about any food budget that would allow someone to eat meats, eggs, and cheeses. Some vegans do wind up spending more if they purchase a lot of speciality products or pre-made foods -- it's pretty much up to you what you want to spend. I eat a lot of beans, grains, frozen fruits and vegetables, and seasonal vegetables so I don't spend a whole lot on food.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of ideas and recipes from YouTube.

Are you going plant based or vegan? Vegan technically includes any products you use in life as well as food you consume.

There is a lot of hidden dairy and animal products which can be tough so do a lot of reading online. Vegan includes animal products or byproducts as well (so no more marshmallows, jello, etc. as they contain by products).
  • Anclote
    Anclote Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I guess plant based then.. just looking at food for now, not clothing or anything. I do already avoid gelatin after learning a few years ago how they're made from hooves..?! Gross. I think I'll continue to use honey, however. I'm just looking to make a positive change for the environment, for compassion, and for my health this year.
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Minimalist Baker is my go-to place for recipes. Everything is simple to make and I've never tried a recipe that hasn't been absolutely phenomenal!