HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE ?

Options
aka62792
aka62792 Posts: 98 Member
UNBELIEVABLY, I really did not know I was getting fatter and fatter.
Since, I never left the house or got dressed, I did not see it.

2016 WAS the year from HELL ! I almost lost my Husband, My Mother-in-Law called me 10 times a day begging me to kill her. Then she died and I had to handle EVERYTHING ALONE. I had never planned a Funeral, so it was stressful. Then my Mom died six weeks ago, I got a Breast Cancer scare, my Brother got a Kidney Transplant and I had not idea I was a WOOLLY MAMMOTH.

We were going out to Dinner for Christmas Eve and I came out of the shower and saw myself in the mirror !! I had NO IDEA, WHO THAT WAS ? I started CRYING, BAWLING and refused to go out. NO ONE had told me, hey maybe you should weigh yourself.

I'm a strong person, however, I was very stressed out last year. I guess no one wanted to add to my stress ?
Whoever, that is in the mirror, will soon be gone.

Thank you, for listening
Allison

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    11eqyr.jpg

We all choose to focus on what we want. When the blinders come off though, you see the results with people who are on MFP.

Here is hoping for a much better year for you.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Wow, No I honestly can't say that's happened to me.

Good luck to you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    When the brunt of trauma hits you in the face like this, it can happen. Glad you are here. I wish you much success on your goals and a Happier New Year in 2017.

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm Alison too!!! well with one "L"

Sounds like you had a year from hell which is something that I can understand because 2016 was my worst year ever too. I let health and fitness slide because when planning funerals and dealing with loved ones who are sick, hurting, needing attention we push ourselves to second place. Well I have decided that stopped as of yesterday. You're here, use the tools that MFP provides and get back on track. Chances are also that you see yourself as bigger than others do. Perception is annoying sometimes
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    1. We do not talk about 2016. It never happened. NEVER HAPPENED.

2. Yeah, no one wants to be the one to tell you that you've gained weight. I remember when I was getting fat I asked some friends if they thought I'd put on weight and they were like, "noooo, everher you look fine!"

3. The moment you realize how much weight you've gained is always horrid. It always seems like it has happened overnight. And I've had more than a few of those who is that fat chick in the mirror scares myself.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,497 Member
    Options
    2016 can kiss my *kitten *.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Yes. On my birthday a few years ago, we went to renew our drivers licenses. I walked outside, sure my picture looked great because my hair was great that day. I looked at my picture and it hit me like a ton of bricks. My face was huge and I realized that I was extremely overweight. I cried my eyes out and vowed to never get back to being that big.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone in not seeing. It happened to me too. My traumas and reasons why were different to yours but no less devastating and I think there are times when humans can only deal with so much and then no more.

Don't be too hard on yourself and kick that put-down self talk to the curb. Now is the time for healing and self-care. Honour your feelings around ALL that you had to cope with last year get help if you need it and don't bottle it up so you eat yourself into a worse position.

I really hope this year is kind to you and understand that what you see now may be really hard but without that insight you cannot move forward. You are obviously very brave and strong, channel some of that strength into putting your needs first.

All the best and my sympathy on the loss of your Mum, Mother-in-law too. <3
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If all you did was overeat to deal with the stress, that's really not that bad. I probably would have been in the fetal position next to the toilet drinking wine and taking bites out of a block of cheese. Kudos to you for your strength at a time when a lot of people needed you.

2017 is your year! Good luck!

Second this!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    This happened to me also. I was in my younger years. I sat around the house wearing pajama type pants and stuffing my face with baloney and cheese sandwiches. Double baloney. Double cheese. I would eat about 5 or 6 of these a day, also grits loaded with butter, and what ever else I could pack in. One day I decided to go somewhere and couldn't even pull my jeans up past my knees. That was a terrible moment. I stepped on the scale and BAM! 200 lbs. I lost the weight easily once I stopped shoveling in the baloney and cheese. But the shock was something else. It can be easy to just inflate and not even realize it.
  • VictoriaSeidel84
    VictoriaSeidel84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my condolences to you and your family.. Keep your head up hon, take it one day at a time. it wont seem so overwhelming that way. trust in the process.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Hope your big troubles are over and that you'll have more timefor yourself to heal
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    I didn't have that level of stress happen, but there was definitely a moment where I could not ignore what I had become any longer. Hang in there, best of luck making this a much better year.
  • aka62792
    aka62792 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was so
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    You had a traumatic year, I hope life brings you peace soon! <3
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    dc6088 wrote: »
    Hope your big troubles are over and that you'll have more timefor yourself to heal

o:) Ditto.....

Someone up there wanted me to read your post, and all the caring responses. <3 It makes me feel like there are plenty of people who "get it" on Chit Chat.
    Now lets show 2017 whos Boss!
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Not really, I knew I was getting fat. But then again, I am a guy. We will generally make fun of each other for getting fat and not get all butt hurt about it. I just got in shape because I was bored, all my friends were getting married, and I needed a hobby that I could do alone. So I started the gym.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your bad year. The one thing that always hold true about life is that it goes on. Therefore, so must we.

Yes I saw myself getting fat but being laid up with a broken back, ruptured colon, and a colostomy it was kinda hard to do much about it.
    So when I could start walking again (And had the colostomy reversal) I started to workout again. I still deal with issues but I am my own worst enemy in that I don't plan my own diet as I should. I have a hectic schedule and I tend to eat whatever the misses cooks which often doesn't fit my lifestyle.
    We just have to get through whatever life throws at us and keep moving forward.
    Setting your mind to it is the first and often the hardest step.
    I wish you the best.