HOME EXERCISE

Options
I have found some EXCELLENT Beginner's workouts. I do not have any equipment here. I saw a mat, do I need that ? Weights ? I saw some that look like bowling balls. PLEASE HELP with ideas for a beginner. THANK YOU

Replies

• rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    A mat will be a good thing to have for bodyweight exercise. You will also benefit from having some dumbbells (it's easier to get them in pairs) of whatever weight you think you'll be good with. Try them in the store before you buy. Also a set of resistance bands. The bowling ball shaped weights are kettlebells, there are separate exercises for those. I don't use them myself but many people on here like them a lot.

The equipment you need will depend on your current strength level. If you have beginner to intermediate strength you won't need to spend nearly as much -- you can get a 3/5/10 lb weight set, for example, a kettlebell and some resistance bands for your lower legs and stronger muscles.

Cast iron dumbbells are better quality than the concrete filled kind, but more expensive. The advantage to concrete is you can get a good range of weights for a low price, and you can also use a barbell. If you're already fairly strong you might be looking at $40 per dumbbell. They cost roughly $1-2 per pound. That's why I don't use a kettlebell -- I'd need a fairly heavy one and since I go to the gym for most training I don't feel like a $65 kettlebell is necessary.

Bodyweight exercise requires very little equipment but you may want a pullup/chinup bar if you're able to do pullups. Last thing on my mind would be a weight bench. You'll need one for bench presses eventually. If you can't do a full pushup (with your toes on the mat) or if you can only do a few then you won't need a bench for now.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    You don't need equipment to start out. Bodyweight exercises will work well for you. I would personally suggest getting the book, You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren. There is also a companion app that is quite good and very affordable. It is an excellent book and the workouts will keep you going for a long time.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    All I started with was a 4lbs set of Dumbbells... and I didn't even use them to start. I focused on cardio and body weight workouts.

I agree you don't need anything right now. As you progress slowly begin to add to a collection. Don't spend too much till you know what type of workouts intrigue you and are benefitting to your goals
  • aka62792
    aka62792 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am only on week one, so for now I am Walking. I live in Florida and have a pool, so I swim A LOT ! I did not want to go and spend BIG $$$ on things, I ultimately do not need.
  • christopherpwhitworth
    Options
    Bodywight is far the best workout. Yes read 'you are your own gym' then try and make your own routine and exercises. I use a fitball to increase core strength. In one week shed 5lbs and 1% bodyfar. And ive not even trained hard, starting that after my trip to lisbon this weekend. Keep a diary and dont train too much. Rest is good for you.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Another vote for bodyweight. Check out darebee.com for a ton of free workouts, updated daily.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I do videos at home. Most don't need any equipment, some might use a mat or dumbbells.
  • superjohn71
    superjohn71 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Head over to YouTube and have a look at Fitnessblender's channel. Loads of workout videos, most only need a mat and that's it. In fact, most of them don't even need that if you have a comfy carpet!

I'm going to sound that I'm promoting them, because this is twice I've recommended them; but I have no connection to them, I just think their workout videos are excellent.
  • aka62792
    aka62792 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I will go look, I have tile floors I need A mat. I just started, trying to walk without sounding like I am 100. I need some indoor workout. Thanks so much for your help, I NEED IT !