Carry forward calories?

Options
Hi. If I have calories left over in a day (not eating them all or gaining extra from a workout), can I collect them and save them to use on another day? Or do I have to use all my calories up in one day or lose them? I'm just thinking if I were to eat out I could save calories and have extra when I'm out.

Replies

• missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sure, you could. But why not just forget about them so you lose faster?
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Yep! I regularly "collect" calories from days I'm not as hungry or days I exercise and use them when I go out to eat or want a nice Marble Slab Ice Cream treat.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, you can. The weight-loss clock doesn't start over at midnight every night. :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends what you are asking.

MFP will not let you take a deficit from one day and apply it to the next. So you can't "move" 500 calories that you didn't use Monday and have them as part of your allowance Tuesday. Kinda too bad.

But if you look at your calories on a weekly basis, and focus less on the daily reports, this works very well. I go under and over on the day view but try to look at where I am for the week.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have an excel spreadsheet that I keep with my weekly deficient for just that purpose. "Banking" them for days where I know I'll be going out to eat or getting drinks or whatever...
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends what you are asking.

MFP will not let you take a deficit from one day and apply it to the next. So you can't "move" 500 calories that you didn't use Monday and have them as part of your allowance Tuesday. Kinda too bad.

But if you look at your calories on a weekly basis, and focus less on the daily reports, this works very well. I go under and over on the day view but try to look at where I am for the week.

Well you can, kind of. If I know, for instance, that on Saturday I'm going to have a special event and I stay 100 calories under my goal Monday-Friday, I enter a -500 calories on Saturday just for tracking purposes (to remind me that I have those extra calories). When I'm finished logging for Saturday I delete the negative calories so my weekly total doesn't get screwed up. I just find it helpful from a visual standpoint as I'm logging to see that I'm having an extra 500 calories but still within my goal. If that made any sense.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, I try to save 100-200 cals Monday to Thursday so I have more to eat at the weekend!
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    LOL! Roll over dieting.. I Love it! Dont think it works that way though. I just ignore them. I have never heard of it before. I always heard '1200 calorie diet' or '1600 calorie diet' etc etc and then if you worked out or not, there was no "bonus" calories added. 1200 was 1200..1600 was 1600. Not 1200 plus you just earned 100 calories from your walk! nonsense. So I consume the calories I say I am going to and "ignore" the calories I "earned".. How do I lose weight if I re-eat my calories! That makes NO sense at all!
  • RAinWA
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »
    LOL! Roll over dieting.. I Love it! Dont think it works that way though. I just ignore them. I have never heard of it before. I always heard '1200 calorie diet' or '1600 calorie diet' etc etc and then if you worked out or not, there was no "bonus" calories added. 1200 was 1200..1600 was 1600. Not 1200 plus you just earned 100 calories from your walk! nonsense. So I consume the calories I say I am going to and "ignore" the calories I "earned".. How do I lose weight if I re-eat my calories! That makes NO sense at all!

It really does work that way though. The way MFP is set up you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories - the goal MFP generates is based on your everyday activities and not purposeful exercise.

For instance - MFP thinks that if I am sedentary I should eat around 1440 calories a day (I'm old and short) to maintain my weight. In actuality I would lose weight because with exercise my TDEE goes up to about 1700 to 1800 a day (when I can exercise and am not nursing a bum knee).

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I look for a weekly average. The app makes this really easy. You can look at Nutrition and then change your view from daily to weekly. The only days included are days with things logged. As long as you log your whole day (not just a meal here or there) you can get an idea of how you are doing for the week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't reset at midnight...energy intake and expenditure happens on a continuum.
  • doraemon28
    doraemon28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

When you put your exercise into the tracker, it automatically adds the calories onto your daily amount. I haven't made it up. I'm just following the app!!
  • RunningMom1038
    RunningMom1038 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    doraemon28 wrote: »

When you put your exercise into the tracker, it automatically adds the calories onto your daily amount. I haven't made it up. I'm just following the app!!

And you are doing exactly what you are supposed to do. This is the way MFP was designed to work. The only thing to be careful about is to make sure not to overestimate the calories you burn through exercise. This is one reason why some are unsuccessful with weight-loss.

If you undereat one day by several hundred calories, then it isn't only okay to add them to the next day, but it would be beneficial.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    BiomedDent wrote: »
    Yeah I used to do that when I did weight watchers-saving points etc. Definitely works well for weekends!

I get the sense you don't understand MFP/Diets/Deficits much. Be careful you're not eating too little based on what you just said above.

Yeah, I just read through the replies to my confusion and still dont understand it. But then, I am a bit tired atm and I cant focus well when tired. Im sure I wont. Im just beginning this journey so Im not doing much in the way of exercise except walking a mile or two a day. I will be adding pilates in soon.
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    You can actually create a custom food for your diary, and call it "rollover from yesterday" or whatever. Give the food a caloric value of -1. Then, if you have 125 unused calories from yesterday, enter them as 125 servings and your diary will add them to your daily calorie allotment for today. Hope this helps.

I was wondering how someone above did that! Thanks
  • RAinWA
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    You can actually create a custom food for your diary, and call it "rollover from yesterday" or whatever. Give the food a caloric value of -1. Then, if you have 125 unused calories from yesterday, enter them today as 125 servings and your diary will add them to your daily calorie allotment for today. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I left out the step of what to call it! I call it "banked calories".