Weighing In Places

Options
How does weighing in different places affect how much you weigh?

Replies

• oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    evangemz90 wrote: »
    How does weighing in different places affect how much you weigh?

It doesn't. The accuracy of the scale affects how much you weigh (along with other things like what you're wearing, time of day, etc). Lots of people here suggest using the same scale in the same place at the same time of day. I personally like first thing in the morning, after I've been to the toilet and before eating or drinking anything.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates throughout the day and scales are calibrated differently/have different levels of accuracy.

If you weigh yourself first thing in the morning on three separate scales, you'd end up with three different weights since each scale is a little different.

If you stepped on the same scale at three different times throughout the day, you'd end up with three different weights because your body weight is a little different based on how much food and water is currently in your system.

If you stepped on the scale first thing in the morning and then picked up that same scale and moved it to a different part of the house and stepped on it again at the same time, you still would probably end up with two different weights because of the different types of flooring the scale is on (never put your scale on carpet if you can help it).

If you have a digital scale that you store upright when not in use, you can step on it three times in a row and get different weights because most digital scales need to recalibrate or be recalibrated each time they're moved.

If you step on a scale first thing in the morning and then get dressed and go to the gym and step on the scale there, you'll get two different weights because of the different weight of clothing on your body at the time.

Get to know your scale or the scales you choose to use. Each one has its quirks.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,104 Member
    Options
    Directly, as far as I know, lack of sleep doesn't affect your weight, but it can affect your ability to eat a correct number of calories which will directly affect your weight.

The bigger question is why you are asking these questions?
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates throughout the day and scales are calibrated differently/have different levels of accuracy.

If you weigh yourself first thing in the morning on three separate scales, you'd end up with three different weights since each scale is a little different.

If you stepped on the same scale at three different times throughout the day, you'd end up with three different weights because your body weight is a little different based on how much food and water is currently in your system.

If you stepped on the scale first thing in the morning and then picked up that same scale and moved it to a different part of the house and stepped on it again at the same time, you still would probably end up with two different weights because of the different types of flooring the scale is on (never put your scale on carpet if you can help it).

If you have a digital scale that you store upright when not in use, you can step on it three times in a row and get different weights because most digital scales need to recalibrate or be recalibrated each time they're moved.

If you step on a scale first thing in the morning and then get dressed and go to the gym and step on the scale there, you'll get two different weights because of the different weight of clothing on your body at the time.

Get to know your scale or the scales you choose to use. Each one has its quirks.

:o Did not know this! I keep my digital scale leaned up against the wall when not in use (otherwise I'll be tripping over the dang thing). I've been doing this since I got it some four years ago... I've not noticed any issues with wildly fluctuating numbers, but now I wonder how far off it might be.... If I step on it twice in a row, I get the same number. Maybe I have a model that doesn't need recalibration each time it's moved.

I suppose it doesn't matter, because I'm looking at long term trends (and weigh daily, so I'm used to fluctuations). But thanks for sharing that! If I get truely wacky numbers I'll have an idea what is wrong :D

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep does affect your ability to lose weight.
  • sims92
    sims92 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Putting your scale on a carpet or carpeted floor will make you 2-3 lbs less than you actually are. If you weigh yourself completely naked on a solid surface (like stone tile floor or hardwood floor) then you'll get the most accurate weight.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Your weight doesn't change, the measurement of your weight might.
    Think about trying to measure ABOUT "one cup of milk" with a graduated cylinder from a lab, a metal measuring cup for baking, and a soda bottle with lines marked on it in sharpie. You're not going to get the exact same amount from each measuring device, but that doesn't change the nature of "one cup of milk."

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep causes your stress hormones to elevate which causes increased hunger.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I lost 2lbs in the first week
    I did not lose weight the second week
    What happened.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

In fact, you should probably go to this thread and read all the linked threads there, to get a grasp on all the basic concepts: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Does anyone weigh everyday but only log there true weight number every week.

Yes. Well maybe not every day but frequently - only my Monday weight gets logged. I don't know if it's my "true weight" whatever that is but it is my logging day weight.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    Options

Yes. Well maybe not every day but frequently - only my Monday weight gets logged. I don't know if it's my "true weight" whatever that is but it is my logging day weight.

If you only log a single day's weight, the first day after the weekend when most people are likely to eat out or eat with relatives or otherwise splurge is probably not the most representative day to show progress.
    Consider Friday morning BEFORE potential "weekend indulgences" as your "weigh-in day".

Better yet... use a trending weight web-site or app and look at your weight level over time instead of individual weigh ins <trendweight, weightgrapher, libra-android, happy scale-iphone>
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

If you only log a single day's weight, the first day after the weekend when most people are likely to eat out or eat with relatives or otherwise splurge is probably not the most representative day to show progress.
    Consider Friday morning BEFORE potential "weekend indulgences" as your "weigh-in day".

Better yet... use a trending weight web-site or app and look at your weight level over time instead of individual weigh ins <trendweight, weightgrapher, libra-android, happy scale-iphone>

Lol - Friday is like cheating. Using your lowest weight day isn't a good representation of actual progress either. I am fine with the way I do it. I have tried various days in the past and Monday is what works best for me.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Lol - Friday is like cheating. Using your lowest weight day isn't a good representation of actual progress either. I am fine with the way I do it. I have tried various days in the past and Monday is what works best for me.

I agree with you that your lowest day is probably not "the best" representation of your progress; but, then again, neither is a day when you are likely to have an unknown amount of additional water weight in you, an amount that usually varies much faster than weight that comes from any increase or decrease of your fat levels, and an amount that could easily overshadow the progress you made all week... thus leading to disappointment and threads wondering why you can't lose weight.

From your post count you're an experienced user. There may be reasons why you do what you do, and based on your response you've thought them out and you probably like the discipline provided by the scare of seeing an unexpectedly high weight.

However many of the people who will look into this tread are considering single day a week weigh-ins because they are erroneously scared of what the scale tells them. These individuals would probably be ill served by weighing themselves on the one day of the week they are most likely to have a "local" high weight that is non representative of their general weight level.

Again I would advocate for daily measurements filtered through a trending weight website or app. But if a person insists on once a week measurements I would suggest any other day than the single day they are most likely to have a non representative high weight.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Weighing on carpet vs tiles

Carpet is going to be inaccurate b/c the floor is too soft. You always want to use a scale on a hard surface. If all you have is carpet, then try putting a cardboard box under the scale. It will help some.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I agree with you that your lowest day is probably not "the best" representation of your progress; but, then again, neither is a day when you are likely to have an unknown amount of additional water weight in you, an amount that usually varies much faster than weight that comes from any increase or decrease of your fat levels, and an amount that could easily overshadow the progress you made all week... thus leading to disappointment and threads wondering why you can't lose weight.

From your post count you're an experienced user. There may be reasons why you do what you do, and based on your response you've thought them out and you probably like the discipline provided by the scare of seeing an unexpectedly high weight.

However many of the people who will look into this tread are considering single day a week weigh-ins because they are erroneously scared of what the scale tells them. These individuals would probably be ill served by weighing themselves on the one day of the week they are most likely to have a "local" high weight that is non representative of their general weight level.

Again I would advocate for daily measurements filtered through a trending weight website or app. But if a person insists on once a week measurements I would suggest any other day than the single day they are most likely to have a non representative high weight.

As someone who weighs and logs daily, I think the takeaway is to do what works for you personally. Just be consistent is all as it is the trend, and not the individual reading, that is important.