Struggling to lose!!!

I was vegan for a while and lost no weight, recently switched to iifym. Still no loss yet. I am on mental health pills but I believe you can still lose weight on them.I want to stick with iifym any advice welcome!

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited January 2017
    All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Being a vegan and macro percentages don't matter.
  • davidpastorello
    davidpastorello Posts: 9 Member
    I forgot to mention I am into bodybuilding so macros might matter?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    What is your height, weight? How long ago did you start? How many calories do you consume per day?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Not for weight loss. In the end, you need a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • davidpastorello
    5'9 206 good deal of muscle but 29%bodyfat. Was at 185 in 2015 but thinking I can bulk as a natural bodybuilder might be a bad idea.
  • davidpastorello
    Calories vary yesterday only 1000 today 2600
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    At 29% bodyfat, you are technically obese. You have approximately 145lbs of LBM and 60lbs of fat so could use a mild calorie deficit to lose weight. Set MFP up with your stats, select your weight loss goal ( I would aim for 1lb) a week and be consistent.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2017
    No fad diet means you will lose weight - only by being in calorie deficit i.e eating less than you burn will result in weight loss.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Calorie deficit.
    Macros to personal preference.
    Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Are you doing IF? Why such a drastic calorie swing? General advice for men is don't go below 1500 for any period of time especially if you are active. Easiest course is maintain a modest calorie deficit (~500 a day?) and continue to lift to maintain current muscle mass. Don't expect to make much forward progress while in a deficit though (as I understand it.)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong: You are 206 now, and you were 185 over a year ago. Your first post mentions 'no loss yet'. I'm not sure when you started trying to lose weight?

Eating vegan is not directly related to weight loss or weight gaining, its a way of eating that indicates which food types you are willing to eat. You can eat too much vegan and gain weight, or eat too little of the wrong nutrients suffer as a result. (Such as it may take a little effort to make sure you're getting enough protein.)

IIFYM is not about avoiding any particular foods, but about making sure you get a decent balance of fat, protein, carbs. Aiming to put certain proportions on your plate for any given meal can help you balance your nutrition, but it takes an additional step - calorie counting - to lose weight.

Your body uses energy. By consuming calories, you feed that energy. If you take in a little less per day than your body needs, it takes the excess from your fat stores. And over time, you lose weight. Think of a bank account. Say you have a savings account tied to it for overdraft. You spend $2400 but only have $1900 in the bank, so they automatically take the $500 from your savings account.

Set up your profile here if you have not already, and set it to lose 1 pound per week. Log your food accurately & honestly. In 6-8 weeks, you should be down 6-8 pounds and on your way to being healthier.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    IIFYM requries setting up macros, which should start with a calorie goal that you then divide out into protein, fat, and carbs. I have no idea how you can do IIFYM without having a calorie goal, because macros are inherently about calories.