Any Turbokick instructors?

Options
Hey everyone! I'm finishing week 12 of Turbofire this week and I LOOOOOOVE IT, and have 8 more weeks to go, since I got the deluxe edition. I'm half considering taking the class to be a Turbokick instructor! It wouldn't be till November (that's the soonest/nearest they're holding it around here...), but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice on the subject! I looked on the site as well to see if there are even any classes around here I could go to, and there's nothing within miles of my city (so I'd be the only one around, if I were to do this!). Any thoughts? :)

Replies

• melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I am taking the plunge in a few weeks to get certified in Hip Hop Hustle, TurboKick, and PiYo! I love Chalene's workouts and I'm really looking for a change in my life. I am praying that I do well enough to pass all 3! I've got a couple weeks to practice.

There's a Facebook group called "How to Become a Turbo, Hustle, or PiYo Instructor" - tons of great posts on there from people considering instructing and those who are already instructors (new and seasoned). I would definitely recommend starting there.

You can also post where you live on there and see if any of the APD instructors are planning a program near you.

I'd love to know when you decide to go for it and how you liked it when you're done! I'll let you know how my training goes!

Mel
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I've been a TK instructor for over a year and a PiYo instructor since April. It's very rewarding. I love how you can choose how the class goes, and I get a much better workout doing TK or PiYo than any of the TJ or TF home workouts.

Once you get certified, I would recommend going on to getting a primary certification as many clubs require this to teach. Some places will allow you to teach without a primary, but it's best to move in that direction anyway.

I would also recommend getting some of Chalene's teachings like Cueology. It helps out a lot, especially if you have never taught a class before.

I think one of the best things about the trainings is the VIP program where you can get rounds sent to you before anyone else, and they are discounted as well. The rounds come with the music for the club where you teach as well as a live workout (like a Turbo Jam video) so you can do the workout at home or use it to practice. And of course it comes with choreography notes. Thank goodness for that, lol!

Good luck!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I was TK certified in mid-April and started teaching 10 days later. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also passed my ACE personal trainer certification in May. Will add on a group fitness instructor cert in the next 6 months.

I burn some MEGA calories while I'm teaching...and the energy from teaching the class really makes your punches and kicks SO much more powerful. I feel as though I could take on the world during that 60 minutes.

The only dilemma I have is that I'd like to start TK at a facility closer to where I live (I currently teach 30 minutes away); however, doing so takes an incredible committment b/c if I'm going to be out of town, I need a sub. There's only two other people in my city that I know of that is TK certified. One owns the gym where I teach currently (so she probably wouldn't be real keen on subbing for me elsewhere) and the other has flaked subbing at the other gym where I teach so often that I'd never consider her due to her lack of professionalism.
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Like I said, it won't be till November at the earliest, but I doubt my little town will get any other Turbokick instructors in the meantime! ;-) Thank you, everyone, for the advice! It's definitely helping me - I think once we get closer to November I may try and take the plunge :-D. PiYo and Hip Hop Hustle maybe down the line - that's actually harder to find in my area than Turbokick is, which is pretty scary!! :) I watched some the PiYo videos and that looks a little intimidating. Turbokick looks awesome and definitely more my cup of tea!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If you are the only instructor in the area, you could do something other than a gym or club...maybe get a church group together or something. There is a Zumba instructor that comes in to my friend's church and earns like $2 per person per workout to teach Zumba once a week.

This might be a more feasible option since you won't have any subs in the area, and that might cause issues working at a club or gym and say you get sick or have a vacation planned.

Just a thought. :flowerforyou:
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine runs 8-week sessions out of an elementary school. She charges a set price for the 8 week session and teaches twice per week.
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Like I said, it won't be till November at the earliest, but I doubt my little town will get any other Turbokick instructors in the meantime! ;-) Thank you, everyone, for the advice! It's definitely helping me - I think once we get closer to November I may try and take the plunge :-D. PiYo and Hip Hop Hustle maybe down the line - that's actually harder to find in my area than Turbokick is, which is pretty scary!! :) I watched some the PiYo videos and that looks a little intimidating. Turbokick looks awesome and definitely more my cup of tea!

I now have all three trainings under my belt. I just finished PiYo cert this morning and it was AWESOME! It's actually my new favorite out of the 3. I never thought I'd say that because I'm not very flexible and I haven't done much in the way of yoga or pilates - but this is sooooooo much more than that!

I personally think it will be a little easier for me to learn and cue than the other two formats. I've got several weeks of practice ahead of me, that's for sure. Cueing doesn't come easily - at least not yet!

Mel
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I'm certified in PiYo and love it! I have been considering TK and might take the plunge soon :)