Weight training for beginners to lose weight

Options
Hi all, I am new to MFP and I currently have around 15-20 pounds to lose (give or take, I am more concerned with how I look/feel and how my clothes fit than the number on the scale).

I used to do cardio for my main form of exercise, but added weight training into the mix over the past year or so. Nothing crazy, but we bought a home gym and have some free weights (dumbbells) as well.

I have been doing total body weight training for about 30-45 minutes at a time using 2x 10lb dumbbells and recently moved to 15lbs for some moves (I cannot do triceps with 15lbs yet), but I am wondering if this is enough and what I can do differently to increase calorie burn/fat burning/muscle building. I typically do this 2-3 days a week, plus cardio (usually treadmill for 30+ minutes of some variation, jogging, incline, intervals, etc). 3-4 days a week.

I am 34, 5'1" and currently weigh around 165. My comfortable/goal weight is around 145, 150 was my "OMG my pants are tight, time to stop snacking" weight, but last summer I started taking a medication that caused weight gain. As of January 1, I am weaning off of that medication (currently on half a dose and will discontinue it in a few days) and I joined MFP to track my food and activity. Thanks for your help! :smile:

Replies

• WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Get yourself on a good 4-5 day per week program and stick to it. Check out Michael Matthews "Thinner Leaner Stronger."

Otherwise, the weight lifting can become a waste of time.
  • amy4selflove
    amy4selflove Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Get yourself on a good 4-5 day per week program and stick to it. Check out Michael Matthews "Thinner Leaner Stronger."

4-5 days of just lifting or all together, cardio and weights?
    2-3 days a week isn't enough?! :blush:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I lift moderately heavy, which means I can only do 3-5 reps on the last set, and two - three days per week is plenty for me as far as weight lifting goes.

I get some form of cardiovascular activity every day - walking, gardening, yoga, swimming, etc. (Swimming and gardening is seasonal, alas.)
  • amy4selflove
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I lift moderately heavy, which means I can only do 3-5 reps on the last set, and two - three days per week is plenty for me as far as weight lifting goes.

I get some form of cardiovascular activity every day.

What do you do for lifting? How much weight do you use and how long have you been lifting?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    altmsav wrote: »

What do you do for lifting? How much weight do you use and how long have you been lifting?

How much weight depends heavily on the exercise.

I start with 1 or 2 # for bent over rear lateral dumbbell raises, which are hard:

rear-delt-raise.jpg

I'm up to 30 pounds for my last set of dumbbell chest press:

6e013dfbf95bbee98b91c3ddd5aea455.png

I've been lifting off and on since the 80s and wasted many years with high reps and low weights cuz that's what I thought women were supposed to do.
  • amy4selflove
    Options

I start with 1 or 2 # for bent over rear lateral dumbbell raises, which are hard:

rear-delt-raise.jpg

I've been lifting off and on since the 80s and wasted many years with high reps and low weights cuz that's what I thought women were supposed to do.

I don't use dumbbells for lats, I use our machine and lift pretty heavy on there, although I don't know the exact weight. I use the 15lb dumbbells for chest press, curls, shoulder press and things like that.
  • kshama2001
    edited January 2017
    Options

rear-delt-raise.jpg

I don't use dumbbells for lats, I use our machine and lift pretty heavy on there, although I don't know the exact weight. I use the 15lb dumbbells for chest press, curls, shoulder press and things like that.

I do the lat pulldown machine as well. I think 30-40-50 pounds. Maybe 40-50-60.

I hurt my shoulder over-training my front and under-training my back, which apparently is common - http://seannal.com/articles/training/rear-deltoid-exercises.php - so now have Chest & Shoulder Day and Back Day.

Unfortunately, I have knee issues, and haven't figured out a Leg Day routine yet.
  • amy4selflove
    Options
    Doing my workout now and presently using these weights on the home gym:

Lat pull down 64 pounds
    Butterfly press 40 pounds
    Arm press 100 pounds
    Seated leg curls 132 pounds
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

What he's suggesting is a "bro" split which is completely unnecessary...many people develop good physiques with full body programming 2-3x per week. You would want the foundation of your programming to be traditional compound movements or variations of them to get the most bang for your buck with isolation and assistance movements at the end.

I would definitely recommend an established program.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women." It has a lot of great advice plus a good program.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

What he's suggesting is a "bro" split which is completely unnecessary...many people develop good physiques with full body programming 2-3x per week. You would want the foundation of your programming to be traditional compound movements or variations of them to get the most bang for your buck with isolation and assistance movements at the end.

I would definitely recommend an established program.

Interesting enough, the 5 day TLS program is similar to Wendler with an extra upper day (OHP, Bench, and minor accessory work). Having said that, 5 days of lifting is a bit much for many people. It does have a 3 day full body routine and a 4 day option as well. Additionally, there are plenty of other good programs out there that is directed towards women; NROL4W and StrongCurves being the more popular ones. Below is a good like for the OP to browse.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

• amy4selflove
    Options
    I appreciate the info and will look into all of these suggestions. I'm tired of wasting my time and I'm trying to do this the most efficient way possible...plus I have a trip to Florida coming up in April! :wink:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I appreciate the info and will look into all of these suggestions. I'm tired of wasting my time and I'm trying to do this the most efficient way possible...plus I have a trip to Florida coming up in April! :wink:

Depending on how far you want to take it and how much you want to get educated on, there are several good books in that thread I posted. I am a fan of TLS and NROL, but have also heard good things about SC.
  • amy4selflove
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Depending on how far you want to take it and how much you want to get educated on, there are several good books in that thread I posted. I am a fan of TLS and NROL, but have also heard good things about SC.

Thanks so much, I just glanced at it for now but will spend more time there when I have time tomorrow. :smile:
  • kshama2001
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Thanks so much, I just glanced at it for now but will spend more time there when I have time tomorrow. :smile:

I got NROL from my library last year and ending up buying his later book, Strong. I like the principles behind both books but the workouts didn't work for me for various reasons. (I have incorporated some of the exercises into my regular routine.)

I just got Strong Curves in the mail this week but it uses so much colored ink that it is smelly (I have chemical sensitivities) and I am waiting for it to offgas before I dive into it. I may get the Kindle version. I've already read the sample of it.