Beer of Whiskey?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    HvymetalMG wrote: »
    What's better to have whiskey, straight. Maybe 6-7 oz. 8 max. Or 3-4 dark porters. Definitely not light beer so in assuming whiskey would be less calories but just making sure. Thanks

Either one would knock me out pretty well, but perhaps that's the plan!

(The best craft porters can be much higher in calories and alcohol than the generic 200kcal listed in MFP.)
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    This seems handy for craft beer lovers:

http://www.beeroftomorrow.com/calories-in-craft-beer/

Those 3-4 porters are going to have a lot more alcohol than even 8 oz of whiskey, most likely. The higher the ABV and the maltier the beer, the more calories it's going to have.

That said, I hate whiskey, and 6 oz of it would knock me on my *kitten*. Between the two, I'd be tipsy after the beer but flat-out hammered after the whiskey. I'd go for the beer, and I still wouldn't drive. If you're going to drink that much, please be safe and smart!
  • RosyTea
    RosyTea Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I seldom drink, but when I do I opt for whiskey as it tends not to bloat me the following day and makes for a good sipper.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    The easiest rule by far for calories in beer:

kcal = abv% * 2.5 * fluid ounces

So a 12 ounce pour of a 6% abv beer would be 6*2.5*12=180 kcal
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Gin and tonic. Bailey's Irish Cream in coffee. Jack Daniel's, neat. I have celiac disease so beer is no go, but occasionally a hard apple cider is in order.
  • Muldoon432
    Muldoon432 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A 12-ounce serving of Guinness sets you back 125 calories - so 500 calories for 4.
    One shot of Jameson's (1 oz) is 69 - 72 calories depending where you look so 8 would be about 560 calories.
    Honestly there is little difference but I think there is more nutritional benefit to Guinness - but I doubt that really enters into this discussion.
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The continuation of this thread is really making me want a drink. I wound up skipping them all last week and drinking water as I watched the game.

Maybe this week it will be one of these options.

Thanks!