A prime example of how modern media is making the world dumber...

Options
From the very front and top of the homepage of one of Australia's main "reputable" news sites:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/the-20-foods-that-contain-no-calories-revealed-including-apples-strawberries-and-watermelon/news-story/158367ba3eaf0372b60a33be83282569

From the actual doctor cited in the article, on the actual Mayo Clinic site:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/expert-answers/negative-calorie-foods/faq-20058260

It's no wonder people are confused and struggling with health and weight loss. So much utter bulldust.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Believe it or not, most doctors get very minimal training in the principles of nutrition, so they're not always the best source for nutrition info: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Wow, that really is a bad article isn't it!

They state that zero calorie foods almost certainly don't exist, and that:

“The bottom line: Following extreme diets that promote eating only a few foods can cause you to miss out on important nutrients.
    The key to successful weight loss is adopting a healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced diet and regular exercise.”

but then go on to give a list of "zero" calorie foods anyway. Starting with apples, apricots, beetroot.... which they have already identified as low calorie not zero calorie.

I guess a headline that says "adopt a healthy lifestyle with balanced diet and regular exercise" won't get them any clicks.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Believe it or not, most doctors get very minimal training in the principles of nutrition, so they're not always the best source for nutrition info: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/

Oh but the whole thing is, the article says a doctor from the Mayo Clinic said there were 0 calorie foods and when you go to his article on the Mayo Clinic site, it says nothing of if the sort. It's just awful reporting.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect anything more from news.com looking for clickbait!
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    The Harvard School of Medicine is currently conducting a study on the effectiveness of detox tea. :|

I don't see anything wrong with that, if you never study woo remedies then you'll never have evidence that they don't work. There have been lots of studies into eg homeopathy which are useful for that exact reason.
    At some point, you have established beyond a credible doubt that the woo is woo. You don't need further research to demonstrate that. All you do is take up valuable, limited research dollars that could be used on something useful instead, that might actually save some lives.

This is especially true when the modality under investigation lacks even reasonable prior probability from basic science. What does "detox" even mean here?

So no, we need no further research into homeopathy or "detox tea" or acupuncture or reiki or any other such nonsense. It does no one any good. Yet more negative results will not convince believers.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I read the article on the site and realise it had been just lifted from The Sun which I think might be the second most bull *kitten* paper after The Daily Mail especially in the UK

The Sun is still boycotted in huge areas of the country after they had a car crash of reporting about the Hillsborough disaster

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/26/how-the-suns-truth-about-hillsborough-unravelled
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hospitals and doctors are worse, people trust them to know what they're talking about. If these people weren't obese to begin with they'd get there is short order following this.

• Alatariel75
    Options
    Hospitals and doctors are worse, people trust them to know what they're talking about. If these people weren't obese to begin with they'd get there is short order following this.

OMG.... hahahaha wow.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Doctors get very minimal training in nutrition, and nurses even less. A friend of mine has been an RN for over 30 years, and talking to her about diet/nutrition is like watching the Dr. Oz show while reading Women's World magazine at the same time. I'd trust her to give me a shot, suture my wounds or put a field splint on me if I broke a bone, but I sure as hell won't listen to a word she says about diet/nutrition. It makes my head hurt from facepalming so many times while listening to her.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    The Harvard School of Medicine is currently conducting a study on the effectiveness of detox tea. :|

and i bet the tax payers are footing the bill lol
  • IWantToFloat
    IWantToFloat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to hear all this. I've dealt with some really ignorant doctors about weight, diet, and nutrition. The latest was my doctor wanted me to lose 100 lbs in roughly two months. I've had other doctors applauding 500 or less calorie restriction diets I put myself through because "look at how much weight you lost, it's great". The list goes on.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    I am so glad to hear all this. I've dealt with some really ignorant doctors about weight, diet, and nutrition. The latest was my doctor wanted me to lose 100 lbs in roughly two months. I've had other doctors applauding 500 or less calorie restriction diets I put myself through because "look at how much weight you lost, it's great". The list goes on.

A lot of doctors seem to have this attitude that losing weight is the goal, and the method doesn't matter as long as you get to the goal as fast as possible. It's quite scary.
  • IWantToFloat
    IWantToFloat Posts: 31 Member
    Options

A lot of doctors seem to have this attitude that losing weight is the goal, and the method doesn't matter as long as you get to the goal as fast as possible. It's quite scary.

So scary. If I developed an eating disorder like anorexia, they'd probably not even mind unless I was outside of a normal weight range.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

So scary. If I developed an eating disorder like anorexia, they'd probably not even mind unless I was outside of a normal weight range.

You're scarily right. Many, many doctors use an underweight BMI as a diagnosis tool for anorexia nervosa. So people who have all the mental signifiers of a diagnosis go undiagnosed, and untreated, until they've caused themselves physical harm. The opportunity for early intervention is lost, and recovery is all the more hard.