Second opinion!

Options
I'm looking for a second opinion on my calorie intake.

Background Stats: I'm 5'9" and 27 years old. I started out at 168 pounds in April, currently weigh 160 (have been as low as 156). My goal weight is around 150 pounds. I work out with a personal trainer doing circuits 2x a week and go to a spin class or run on my own (30ish minutes of intervals) twice a week. I also walk approximately 4 miles a day just going about my day walking to work, etc.

Question: The nutritionist at my gym told me that I need to be around 1400-1500 calories (40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein) to lose weight. I can sometimes do that, other times I feel like I'm going to eat my arm off. The issue I'm having is that I'm good all day, end up hungry, and blow it at the end of the day.

Is 1400-1500 really what I need to be eating to get to my goal weight? I'm thinking about upping my calorie goal and actually sticking with it but I don't know if that's going to work. Any opinions welcome

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    4 miles a day is about 8,000 steps. That puts you somewhere in the upper end of the "lightly active" range before adding any exercise. If I punch your stats into a TDEE calculator (scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/), it says a good calorie target for you (assuming 3-5 hours/week of "moderate exercise") would be 1900 calories/day. Sounds like 1500 is likely low - especially if it leaves you wanting to eat the whole house.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Put your stats and goals into MFP and see what it gives you. Try that calorie goal while logging your exercise for four to six weeks and see if you start seeing the results you're looking for.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Try experimenting with what you eat. For example, if I don't get enough protein, I'm starving. Others find that carbs fill them up, and others need to ensure they get enough fat or fiber to feel full. Have a look at your macros, if you're short somewhere, that might be the place to start.
  • CM016
    CM016 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 1640 calories a day if I put that I'm "lightly active." Does that sound right? Anyone with similar stats who can chime in?
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    CM016 wrote: »
    MFP gives me 1640 calories a day if I put that I'm "lightly active." Does that sound right? Anyone with similar stats who can chime in?

what did you put for loss rate? it needs to be. 5 with so little to go plus you'll eat back at least half your exercise calories which isn't included on mfps NEAT number of 1640

the 1900 number quoted is TDEE.. includes exercise calories
  • CM016
    Options
    That was 1 pound a week, I never "eat back" calories. I used to and found it was too easy to overestimate how hard I worked out
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    CM016 wrote: »
    That was 1 pound a week, I never "eat back" calories. I used to and found it was too easy to overestimate how hard I worked out

that's why most people eat back half to deal with that exaggeration. personally I use TDEE which was that 1900 number for you someone calculated
  • CM016
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks. I might try out 1700 and see if that works without going over?
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Try upping your protein before calories to keep you fuller