Beware: Cough med calories

Options
lsmooney1
lsmooney1 Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I took a dose of nyquil cherry cough syrup just now and then wondered what the calories might be. In the database I found that one! dose (30ml) is 93 calories. I can't believe it This cost be a banana, or a grahmn cracker, or half a can of tuna, etc. Never again, I would rather take a pill or just cough, lol.

Replies

• Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    how about a cough drop and a vitamin C tab?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Try going easy on yourself and shifting ti maintenance mode if you're not already until you're better.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    If you're using cough syrup, chances are that you're not going to feel like eating much anyway. Take it easy and feel better soon.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    if im sick i eat at maintenance or dont even count calories. Its actually better to give your body as many calories as possible (its usually hard to est when sick) to have the strength to fight off the bug/virus.
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    FYI guys & girls, OTC products are NOT labeled in the same fashion as food products by the FDA. OTC ingredients are listed ALPHABETICALLY & NOT quantitatively like food products. For instance, one can not be certain exactly how much sugar is in 1 serving of cough syrup.
  • lsmooney1
    lsmooney1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was just shocked at the amount of calories in a little cup of liquid. There are sugar free cough syrups and other relief measures that I will take in the future. This cough and cold hasn't dampened my appetite and I really wanted that banana ;)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I seriously doubt this since a teaspoon of sugar is only 15 calories. Doubt The active ingredient is making up the remaining calories.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    I seriously doubt this since a tablespoon of sugar is only 15 calories. Doubt The active ingredient is making up the remaining calories.

A teaspoon of sugar is 15 calories - so a Tablespoon would be 45. A dose of Nyquil is 30mL, which is about two tablespoons (90 calories if all sugar).
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt this since a tablespoon of sugar is only 15 calories. Doubt The active ingredient is making up the remaining calories.

A teaspoon of sugar is 15 calories - so a Tablespoon would be 45. A dose of Nyquil is 30mL, which is about two tablespoons (90 calories if all sugar).

Don't forget that liquid Nyquil also contains 10% alcohol by volume.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    i also get the sugar free products, doesn't seem to effect me weight loss..that is surprising how many calories ...never knew that!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    on a related note alkaseltzer = sodium. learned that with their cold medicine and a 5lb water weight jump the hard way.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Gummy vitamins also have calories. But personally, I don't count them.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    [1] If you are sick, don't worry too much about calories - concentrate on feeling better.
    [2] Check the label on the actual meds - some database entries are way incorrect.
    [3] If it is indeed ~90 cal/oz, then I would guess it's a formula with (a LOT of) alcohol.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »

Don't forget that liquid Nyquil also contains 10% alcohol by volume.

Right - just demonstrating that a dose of Nyquil could indeed be 90 calories. One poster above thought that wasn't reasonable.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    really????? How often are u going to be taking cough medicine?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't take cough meds enough to know the dose is 30ml. I'm an idiot. Thanks guys for pointing it out
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    We have unlocked the cause of the obesity epidemic...cough syrup.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Ask the pharmacist about cold medicines for diabetics. No extra sugar needed.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I would never have thought to look up calories in cough syrup. I am curious where exactly the calorie count comes from. I had to check my bottle since I've been struggling with a cough and all it mentions is 92 mg of sodium. The ingredients list saccharin sodium, sorbitol, and sucralose, but no sweeteners of caloric significance. No alcohol either. I have a bottle of Nyquil Severe Cold & Flu and am in the US.