Starvation mode?????

Options
So, this is the first time I've tried to diet. I am a waitress at an extremely busy place and I am always moving for up to 9 hours straight. I never cared about what I ate and I maintaimed my weight , now that I'm being careful about what I eat I'm feeling the difference. My only worry is that my calorie counter says I'm way below because of what I burn off at work. Is this ok?????

Replies

• funguykk
    funguykk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you read about the concept of calorie restriction or intermittent fasting, you will know that "starvation mode" is BS. No negative effects will be noticed up to almost 36-48 hours of pure fasting. All that matters is calories in vs calories out at the end of the day which is why MFP is an awesome tool! I don't eat for 16 - 18 hours of the day and there are a lot of fitness people who do the same.

What do you use as the calorie counter? I ask this because tools like Fitbit (and a few others) over estimate the calories burned using step counter along with any other activity you add it. You will need to correct that.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating, and what is your MFP calorie goal before and after your exercise calories?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    This post is on the weight loss thread, so I am assuming that your "first time to diet" has the goal to lose weight, specifically fat. All you have to do is eat in a caloric deficit. If you have <25 pounds to lose, the generally recommended daily deficit for fat loss is 250 calories. The bigger the deficit, the more you will feel it and the higher the muscle and bone loss.

If you have >25lb to lose, a 500 calorie daily deficit is usually tolerable and healthy. That's roughly 1 pound/week fat loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Here is an article about starvation mode: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

My favorite!
  • sarahjndg
    sarahjndg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    On average I eat about 1100 to 1400 calories a day and my goal is 1880. I am a waitress at an extremely busy restaurant and I am constantly moving around for up to 9 hours a day 5-6 days a week
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    sarahjndg wrote: »
    On average I eat about 1100 to 1400 calories a day and my goal is 1880. I am a waitress at an extremely busy restaurant and I am constantly moving around for up to 9 hours a day 5-6 days a week

What do you have your activity level set at? Do you have it properly set to reflect your active job?
  • candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I remember my first time on mfp and everyone was all about starvation mode. How things change
  • sarahjndg
    Options

What do you have your activity level set at? Do you have it properly set to reflect your active job?

Yes, and I don't even enter my full shift on there
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I remember my first time on mfp and everyone was all about starvation mode. How things change

I've been here a year. The purge of "starvation mode" was underway when I started. It seems to have diminished in intensity in recent months.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Yeah, I'd never even heard of "starvation mode" until I started frequenting the forums on MFP. I'm always curious how newbies come in worried about it, and where they hear it from.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

If you have your activity level set to "active" (or "very active", I can't remember the wording), which you should because of your job, then you don't enter your work as additional exercise. The calorie count MFP gives you takes account of your normal activity level when working out your daily allowance, so you should only add in any other deliberate exercise that you do over and above your work.

Set up your profile correctly and eat the amount of calories it gives you. :) If you're on your feet all the time you should be eating more than 1100 calories.
  • 1RogueRunner1
    1RogueRunner1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth
  • emilygduran
    emilygduran Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That seems like a really low calorie intake. I serve part time, maybe 15-20 hrs a week, and even eating 1600 was too little for me at one point.
  • sarahjndg
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

If you have your activity level set to "active" (or "very active", I can't remember the wording), which you should because of your job, then you don't enter your work as additional exercise. The calorie count MFP gives you takes account of your normal activity level when working out your daily allowance, so you should only add in any other deliberate exercise that you do over and above your work.

Set up your profile correctly and eat the amount of calories it gives you. :) If you're on your feet all the time you should be eating more than 1100 calories.

Thank you
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Here is an article about starvation mode: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

that picture tells a good story , most likely if you dont look like him ,, you have a different reason to not losing weight .

thanks for posting that

good luck