How to cut junk food?

Options
13»

Replies

• laburto
    laburto Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I struggle terribly with sweet foods. I haven't had much sugar in the last month and a half and I think it's because I've started eating Pure Protein bars. While they aren't ideal food, I think the thought of having sugar (they only have 2 grams of sugar) helps me out. I don't even crave sweets anymore, and I'm now becoming able to say "no" when people offer it. Which is unreal!

Thanks for sharing!
  • laburto
    Options
    I would slowly cut down your servings. Start with every other day, then 3 days a week, then 2, then only on Sunday or something. You can also put your junk food in zip loc bags and divide them throughout the week. You can also search for alternatives, pick whole grain chips instead of regular, etc. or if you can't stay away from those snacks, earn them. Do as many push-ups/squats/jumping jacks as the calories you're going to eat right before. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice!
  • laburto
    Options
    laburto wrote: »
    I am trying to cut out junk food such as chocolate, icecream, fast food, etc. What is one way to start this without craving it, and has anyone lost any weight by doing this? I have been working out and I have lost 40lbs so far but I would like to lose about 20-30 lbs more. I think I am plateau right now. Any suggestions?

I'd say ease into it. Instead of cutting it out completely just eat it less often.

As for the plateau I'm not really sure. You might need to lower your calorie goal after losing 40 lbs. A smaller person doesn't need as many calories as a larger person. Depending on what types of workouts you are doing you might also try switching to something new and different or increasing intensity of what you are doing now.

Yeah I agree. Thanks!
  • laburto
    Options
    I am trying to cut out junk food such as chocolate, icecream, fast food, etc. What is one way to start this without craving it, and has anyone lost any weight by doing this? I have been working out and I have lost 40lbs so far but I would like to lose about 20-30 lbs more. I think I am plateau right now. Any suggestions?

If you have been working out, and you have cut out must junk food and lost 40lbs.
    I would think you already have a valid game plan.
    Carry on.

Yeaah I've lost 40 lbs by only going to the gym..eating healthy is hard for me..but I would have lost more if I did eat healthy lol
  • laburto
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I started over four years ago...I made small, incremental changes over time...adding more of this and eating less of that. I eat very well for the most part and have treats here and there. I usually finish the evening off with some dark chocolate. Fast food has never really been an issue for me as I'm kind of a food snob and have never enjoyed fast food...I do love pizza and we have a pizza day every couple of weekends. We usually have ice cream as a family on Saturday.

Awesomee thanks for sharing.
  • LaurenBraddy
    LaurenBraddy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    OP...at the risk of incurring the snarkiness of a whole lot of MFPers who feel like CICO is all that matters, and starting a snit-storm of debate and comments about just wanting to sell you stuff. etc., blah, blah, blah...I will say this anyway:

Whole30 is a "short-term nutritional reset, designed to help you put an end to unhealthy cravings and habits, restore a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, and balance your immune system." My girlfriend and I are on Day 8 of the 30 day program and we are feeling amazing already. Ask me...

The protocol is laid out in great detail on the website. If you want to buy the book for more in-depth info, it's not unreasonable, but you don't need it. At least take a look - whole30.com - and decide for yourself.

So for whatever it's worth, take it or leave it. Anyone who wants to engage in debate about Whole30, go ahead...knock yourself out. I won't participate...I chose a course and I'm on it. You do you...

Awesome I will take a look at it! Thanks!

Im on day 7 of the whole30 program. It's not primarily for weight loss as it is designed to be a cleanse (but the weight is coming off quick). I second what pp said. I feel AMAZING. i have more energy than I ever remember having. And I didn't catch the latest cold that knocked the rest of my family out.

As to sweets, by the third day I was over it.

• Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I love frozen fruit bars, like outshine strawberry or pineapple. I also adore Greek yogurts with dessert flavors likes strawberry shortcake, key lime or Boston creme pie. I try to identify my cravings and find something similar. Also telling yourself "I can eat one small scoop of ice cream after dinner after 5pm" helps. If you tell yourself what your going to do beforehand it can really help you from getting stuck in binge mode to satisfy a strong craving.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    stop buying it ....
  • laburto
    Options
    stop buying it ....

Easier said than done lol
  • laburto
    Options
    NewMeFor17 wrote: »

Why?

To lose more weight
  • laburto
    Options
    Mini_Medic wrote: »
    I love frozen fruit bars, like outshine strawberry or pineapple. I also adore Greek yogurts with dessert flavors likes strawberry shortcake, key lime or Boston creme pie. I try to identify my cravings and find something similar. Also telling yourself "I can eat one small scoop of ice cream after dinner after 5pm" helps. If you tell yourself what your going to do beforehand it can really help you from getting stuck in binge mode to satisfy a strong craving.

Thanks! I will try that.
  • laburto
    Options
    OP...at the risk of incurring the snarkiness of a whole lot of MFPers who feel like CICO is all that matters, and starting a snit-storm of debate and comments about just wanting to sell you stuff. etc., blah, blah, blah...I will say this anyway:

Whole30 is a "short-term nutritional reset, designed to help you put an end to unhealthy cravings and habits, restore a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, and balance your immune system." My girlfriend and I are on Day 8 of the 30 day program and we are feeling amazing already. Ask me...

The protocol is laid out in great detail on the website. If you want to buy the book for more in-depth info, it's not unreasonable, but you don't need it. At least take a look - whole30.com - and decide for yourself.

So for whatever it's worth, take it or leave it. Anyone who wants to engage in debate about Whole30, go ahead...knock yourself out. I won't participate...I chose a course and I'm on it. You do you...

Awesome I will take a look at it! Thanks!

Im on day 7 of the whole30 program. It's not primarily for weight loss as it is designed to be a cleanse (but the weight is coming off quick). I second what pp said. I feel AMAZING. i have more energy than I ever remember having. And I didn't catch the latest cold that knocked the rest of my family out.

As to sweets, by the third day I was over it.

Nicee good to hear!
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Two things help me:

1. Making sure I have healthy snack alternatives. (I personally tend to have a salty tooth, so I resort to pickles, ranch&carrots, eggs, etc.)
    2. I don't go cold turkey, I more ease into it. I allow myself to indulge a couple times a week, as long as I keep it reasonable and I do well the other days.

I hope this helps! :)
  • TexasBridgett
    TexasBridgett Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the other posts but here's my two cents. Just stop. I have the biggest sweet tooth and always find myself over indulging but if you can make it through the first week your sugar cravings subside tremendously and the longer you go, the sweeter the food gets and the less you can tolerate. I've found the same to be true with salty junk food (like chips and fast food). I've done whole30 before (and am currently doing it again because I feel so much better eating that way) and when I've reintroduced junk food, the smallest quantity will make me sick because of the added sugar or salt.

I always think, "do I really want to die or have health issues because I couldn't stop eating crap? How ridiculous is that!?" Whatever you need to use for motivation, right?
  • TheBetterBecky
    TheBetterBecky Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've lost 132 pounds and kept it off for 3 years. I say don't cut it out. Anytime you cut something out you want it more! What I did was say I can have 3 bites of cake at a Birthday party or if I craved cookies, I ate one. Not every day and not at every meal. You know why? Cause if you try to cut out all sweets you have to be willing to do it the rest of your life or you will gain it back. Eating carrots only and being miserable will make you quit. It has to be something you can do the rest of your life. So eat healthy. Eat lean meat, whole grain carbs, a little fruit, veggies, BUT have that cookie once in awhile.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Great answers!!!!! Thanks for urge surfing site!
  • Braddlzz
    Braddlzz Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I broke my coca cola addiction cold turkey

Was drinking 6 cans per day every day

I got the sweats, shakes, lost fine motor skills, couldn't talk, headaches, blindness it was crazy

I got off the drug ice however so I knew I could do this - all I can say is straight will power!!! You got this
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut out sweets and junk food cut out sweets and junk food.

But I would be more concerned with monitoring your intake if I were you. I've seen so many posts since I've been here that go similar to this, "I cut out soda, candy, etc. but I still haven't lost any weight". Even if you cut out junk food and sweets if you aren't in a calorie deficit you aren't going to lose weight.