Starting over

Options
I'll try to make this short/sweet.

35 almost 36 years old female. 5'6". Morbidly obese. Starting weight 308 lbs. Lost 40 lbs then everything came to screeching halt when diagnosed with cancer. Between stress and treatment. I'm now back to 300lbs. Still morbidly obese and still wanting to loose weight.

The short of my weight loss from the prev. year. Doctor had me on Phentermine 37.5mg and that was alongside my epilepsy meds Topiramate 25mg 2/day. Including a water pill due to waterweight/odema. He had me on 800 cals a day or less. And I lost all 40 lbs on this. Weighed everything I ate with digital scale. Cut out all breads. Drastically cut down my sugar. For awhile was walking 1 mile a day. Then cancer diagnosis.

Found that if I even ate up to 1000cal a day, I would not loose a thing.. 6-8 weeks go by and nothing. Drop back down to 800cal a day and my body would start loosing again. (this was all with walking 1 mile a day and some very light weight training) I have fibro so I try not to over do myself or I'm stuck in bed for a few days.

Well I had to stop all meds (minus BP/topiramate) when cancer diagnosis came. Due to stress and treatment I didn't stick to 800 cal a day. I went up to 1500 - 1600. I am now back to 300lbs. And also I don't walk 1 mile a day anymore. I also quit the phentermine, as when he switched me to a new one (same part of phentermine family) I suffered tachycardia and it scared the dickens out of me.

I want to loose weight without that drug. I don't want to be dependent on this. I naturally have high BP probably in part due to my weight and little exorcise. I understand that is all on me. I accept that, but phentermine just makes it worse. And I know when I come off that drug again, I'll just gain wait back.. again like I've done now. (btw.. according to myfitnesspal. 1550 is my ideal cal. per day. Yet I gain so badly on it. I'm not sure why. I stopped logging myfitnesspal when I was in treatment because I was rarely home, and instead kept it in a notebook. I had to weigh things because nausea was never good, and it really limited what I could eat. But I had to up my calories so my treatments were easier to handle.

But I need to loose this weight. I don't want to die, and I'm tired of doctors blaming everything wrong with me on my weight. I have a cold (your weight causes your immune system to be bad) I twist an ankle( if you weighed less you would be less likely to fall/twist your ankle) And the list goes on and on. I'm tired of being looked at like everything is just because of my weight. So if any of you kind people out there can help I would appreciate it.

I'm looking for like minded people who need to loose 200+ lbs. who don't mind sharing healthy meals. I have tried to get my GP to let me see a nutritionist but they keep denying to refer me, saying they are able to assist me well enough. They also want to keep pushing phentermine on me. So I'm having to take this into my own hands so to speak. I'm on disability.. so i can't just go to a nutritionist as with medicare you have to be referred. Or I would have already gone down that road. Anywya.. enough about me. if you don't mind friending me.. I could so use it.. and if you don't mine letting me see how you do your meals I would appreciate it. Google only helps so much and I hate to eat the same thing every day. Thank you!!

Replies

• mrskcreations
    mrskcreations Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm so sorry for all that you have been through. I would love to be your friend and support you and help you.
    I'm a new mom who's 5' and wanting to lose the pregnancy weight, and the weight I had on before, about 50 lbs.

I did a lot of study about losing weight before I got pregnant and found out some cool stuff that may help. One, I found two fitness bloggers that are excellent in explaining how to eat right. Bakingmadgymaddict and Joannah Soh. You can find them both on youtube.

Basically they talk about how to eat to fuel your body and how losing weight is 80% eat meticulous and only 20% training. Joanna talks about the 3 basic body types and what to do for each one in terms of how to balance protein/carbs/fat and what kind of exercise to do. I found out that I'm a mesomorph. Lozza from Baking has excellent protein packed meal plans.

Another thing I've learned from experience is do not take your calories too low. The human body, even at my short height, has a BMR of 1200, anything less than that and you're hurting yourself. Also, if you go too low then your body stores fat rather than burns it because it goes into starvation mode.

For me it's really hard since my maintenance calories are in the 15-1700 range. So I only get a small deficit even if eating right. However, last fall I ate right and did 0 exercise and was able to take off 15 lbs in 2 months approx. over Thanksgiving.

I hope this helps some. I'm going to send you a friend request if you like. You're welcome to view my diaries.
  • RefocusedPowerhouse
    Options
    Hey girlie :-) No worries, its day by day--being better than yesterday. Put all of that behind you---all we have is right now. We know where we are---Now its time to put in the work! (With awareness comes change---(Wildly Alive) We got this! I'm sending you a friend request. I am starting from ground zero too so I totally understand and can tell you right now---I'm focused on getting better, stronger, faster through daily POWER MOVES! Let's get it girl!
  • tichondria
    tichondria Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I'm trying.. yesterday I only ate a little over 1000 cal. I know that sounds low, but every doctor i've been to wants me low due to being morbidly obese. My stomach hates it though.. I'm hungry lol, but i know it's because my stomach is stretched out and used to me just sitting all day and eating 2 big meals with some snacks in between. Now instead I'm back to weighing absolutely everything and working on shrinking my stomach even if a little. I'll deal with the hungry feeling for now.
  • Nireedk
    Nireedk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Did your dr put you on the 5 meal plan? Versus the 2 big meals you were talking about?
    The Phentermine and Topiramate are hard to handle for the first week - at least for me - it wrecked my sleep, but after that I'm doing fine with them and even if I miss a pill, I'm ok. The Topiramate at dinner helps me not eat/drink anything after dinner.
    My prescribed diet is 1100 cals - 5 meals per day. Nothing after dinner. 3 30-minute exercise cardios a week.
    Another key is this saying: Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper. Then nothing after dinner. When you wake you will be starving for breakfast.
  • mgutierrez3h0
    mgutierrez3h0 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    tichondria wrote: »
    I'll try to make this short/sweet.

35 almost 36 years old female. 5'6". Morbidly obese. Starting weight 308 lbs. Lost 40 lbs then everything came to screeching halt when diagnosed with cancer. Between stress and treatment. I'm now back to 300lbs. Still morbidly obese and still wanting to loose weight.

The short of my weight loss from the prev. year. Doctor had me on Phentermine 37.5mg and that was alongside my epilepsy meds Topiramate 25mg 2/day. Including a water pill due to waterweight/odema. He had me on 800 cals a day or less. And I lost all 40 lbs on this. Weighed everything I ate with digital scale. Cut out all breads. Drastically cut down my sugar. For awhile was walking 1 mile a day. Then cancer diagnosis.

Found that if I even ate up to 1000cal a day, I would not loose a thing.. 6-8 weeks go by and nothing. Drop back down to 800cal a day and my body would start loosing again. (this was all with walking 1 mile a day and some very light weight training) I have fibro so I try not to over do myself or I'm stuck in bed for a few days.

Well I had to stop all meds (minus BP/topiramate) when cancer diagnosis came. Due to stress and treatment I didn't stick to 800 cal a day. I went up to 1500 - 1600. I am now back to 300lbs. And also I don't walk 1 mile a day anymore. I also quit the phentermine, as when he switched me to a new one (same part of phentermine family) I suffered tachycardia and it scared the dickens out of me.

I want to loose weight without that drug. I don't want to be dependent on this. I naturally have high BP probably in part due to my weight and little exorcise. I understand that is all on me. I accept that, but phentermine just makes it worse. And I know when I come off that drug again, I'll just gain wait back.. again like I've done now. (btw.. according to myfitnesspal. 1550 is my ideal cal. per day. Yet I gain so badly on it. I'm not sure why. I stopped logging myfitnesspal when I was in treatment because I was rarely home, and instead kept it in a notebook. I had to weigh things because nausea was never good, and it really limited what I could eat. But I had to up my calories so my treatments were easier to handle.

But I need to loose this weight. I don't want to die, and I'm tired of doctors blaming everything wrong with me on my weight. I have a cold (your weight causes your immune system to be bad) I twist an ankle( if you weighed less you would be less likely to fall/twist your ankle) And the list goes on and on. I'm tired of being looked at like everything is just because of my weight. So if any of you kind people out there can help I would appreciate it.

I'm looking for like minded people who need to loose 200+ lbs. who don't mind sharing healthy meals. I have tried to get my GP to let me see a nutritionist but they keep denying to refer me, saying they are able to assist me well enough. They also want to keep pushing phentermine on me. So I'm having to take this into my own hands so to speak. I'm on disability.. so i can't just go to a nutritionist as with medicare you have to be referred. Or I would have already gone down that road. Anywya.. enough about me. if you don't mind friending me.. I could so use it.. and if you don't mine letting me see how you do your meals I would appreciate it. Google only helps so much and I hate to eat the same thing every day. Thank you!!

I take zonegran for epilepsy that makes you lose weight till your body gets used to it. It took mine about four months but by that time I had lost all the weight I needed to and I didn't struggle to keep it off without exercise just eating normal portions well you know what's recommended. After my pregnancy I gained 45 got a prescription of phentermine 10 days ago and have lost ten pounds. I only take half a pill though and it works for me. I'm not sure if it's the combination of zonegran and phentermine but I don't feel the bad side effects like insomnia or jitters.