Bipolar/Mental Health Meds and Weight Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    sarsather wrote: »
    Anyone had positive or negative experiences while on Effexor?

Weight, or mental? If mental, this drug nearly killed me. It gave me major suicidal impulses, and it was the worst drug to come off that I've ever been on.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I hope you are better and I wish u can check out some nutritional plans that don't affect hormones as much. Just read upon keto and see how u like it
  • trudie_b
    Options
    I hope you are better and I wish u can check out some nutritional plans that don't affect hormones as much. Just read upon keto and see how u like it

Low carb can be a massive depression trigger for some people (others find it helpful), so approach with caution.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Bipolar type 2 here. I'm on sodium valproate (epilim). I think it's called depakote in America.
    I gained back 12kgs after reading starting it. However I'd rather my sanity or close to it than the weight loss.
    Now that I'm at therapeutic level and ave the go ahead from my psychiatrist I have started counting calories and going to the gym again.
    Slowly but surely I'm seeing results. Give it time lovie.
    Sending hugs
  • trudie_b
    Options
    Bipolar type 2 here. I'm on sodium valproate (epilim). I think it's called depakote in America.
    I gained back 12kgs after reading starting it. However I'd rather my sanity or close to it than the weight loss.
    Now that I'm at therapeutic level and ave the go ahead from my psychiatrist I have started counting calories and going to the gym again.
    Slowly but surely I'm seeing results. Give it time lovie.
    Sending hugs

Bravo you. I had a friend whose life disintegrated because she was so afraid of gaining weight (long term anorexic) that she refused meds for her bipolar. Even though she knew that if her bipolar could be better controlled, her eating disorder probably would be too. It was so sad.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to all!
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I had better luck when I wasn't consuming any alcohol. Just seemed that drinking was like throwing gasoline on the weight gain fire while taking meds.