Frustrated with maintaining

Options
I thought alcohol was hindering my weight loss, so I'm doing dry jan as I thought it may help as I drink a lot. I have had no alcohol, reduced my calorie intake to 1300 and increased my exercise. I have stayed at 11 stone 6 for 10 days! What's the point :( I'm 5 ft 6.5. I wanna get to 10 stone 12 but this is so disheartening. May as well of kept drinking wine! What can I do :(

Replies

• trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It takes a while for changes to show up, and it's only the 11th today.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. I don't typically see results for 2-3 weeks.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but weight loss isn't completely linear for anyone.
    I'll go weeks and weeks sometimes without a loss, or I'll even gain, and then within a few days it all drops off.
    You really just have to be patient.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm always down on the scales after drinking because of the dehydrating effects of alcohol. I wonder if your body is better hydrated now which would mask any weight loss? I suggest recognizing that changes in water weight make progress in fat loss very difficult to measure using scales in the short term and using how well you've done sticking to goal, how nutritious your food has been and how active you've been as your sole indicators of whether you have been successful. If you treated yourself right for those 10 days, you deserve a pat on the back, regardless of what the scale says. Keep going, you'll be you did.
  • eissacf25
    eissacf25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Usually when I start (again), I find the first week I drop all that water weight and then I stall out for a few weeks. This time around, I have been slowly losing and some days the scale doesn't move up or down - so I understand your frustration. I am now 10 days into my new plan and this week I finally dropped 3 lbs. Just be patient! You also don't have to cut out wine all together (unless you are an all or nothing kind of person). I still have a glass most nights, I just reduced it from a bottle and make sure I log it :wink:
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Be consistent and patient and it will catch up.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm doing dry January also...but only because someone told me that I wouldn't be able to do it. lol.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Agreed, keep up doing what you are doing. Be diligent in your logging and accuracy, but remember any time you change your diet your body takes time to adjust. Are you getting enough fiber? Are you eating a lot of sodium (pre-packaged/frozen/fast food meals)? Are you drinking enough water? All of those things can affect how much water your body holds, and a new and tougher workout regimen can also cause your body to retain extra water. If you keep with it though the drop will happen once your body adjusts. Alcohol doesn't really make a difference as long as you're logging the calories contained in what you drink.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Its the reduced calories/higher exercise which will get the weight off. Check you are logging accurately - do you use a food scale?(If not that will be the problem!)
  • n_green_l
    n_green_l Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do use a food scale for everything now... normally when I cut back I see a result and once I got to 11 6 (I was 12 stone 8) I've found it even harder to shift the weight and thought alcohol would be the thing to cut back. I'll keep going, thanks for your comments