Cottage Cheese Hack!

Options
lisapisa81
lisapisa81 Posts: 68 Member
I used my stick blender to blend plain cottage cheese until smooth (the blender fits right in the tub). Then I stirred in about 2 tbsp Johnny's Garlic Spread seasoning (definitely not low sodium but that's not my primary concern), and I had an instant garlicky delicious dip! I dipped celery in it and it was tasty enough to keep me from unhealthy snacking over the weekend.

It gets better as it sits in the fridge and the garlic powder opens up. I also used it as a dressing on my salad today by thinning it with a little water! I think next time I'll thin with milk so that it is a little creamier.

Not sure why I didn't think of this before so I thought I'd pass it on to anyone else trying to get all their recommended protein, that's not a huge fan of plain cottage cheese. Anyone have good ideas of what else I could mix in?

Replies

• lauraanesie
    lauraanesie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This sounds really good! I will try this. I would maybe mix in some herb seasoning, I like to do that with a lot of stuff :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Is any old chopped garlic and salt a suitable sub for the Johnny's?
  • LaRuu78
    LaRuu78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea! I'm definitely trying it today. I'd be tempted to try some sort of taco seasoning in it.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've used cottage cheese as a chip dip since I was a kid. Extra yummy with green onions or chives added! I also blend it before using is lasagne if i don't have ricotta cheese handy.

Love the pudding idea! I've done that with greek yogurt but not cottage cheese. Might have to try with pistacio mix...
  • lisapisa81
    Options
    Is any old chopped garlic and salt a suitable sub for the Johnny's?

it's also got parmesan cheese and "mediterranean" spices in it...you could probably skip the parmesan but if you added some italian seasoning i bet it would taste pretty close.
  • lisapisa81
    Options
    abbi1017 wrote: »
    Sounds yummy, I'm going to try it.

Another great hack:

Add a tablespoon or so of sugar free chocolate pudding mix (power not mixed pudding), to a 1 cup of cottage cheese. It may sound gross, but it is not! You will have a yummy, creamy chocolate dessert, without the guilt.

oooh that does sound great, especially if i blend up the cottage cheese first!
  • grandma2traven
    grandma2traven Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been blending a frozen banana, 2 T. Cool Whip, little water. It's so good! Like ice cream!
  • LookingBusy
    LookingBusy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I blend cottage cheese, then add honey and cinnamon. Sort of a dessert dip. Or spread on toast.

I've also blended it in to waffle batter and biscuit dough.
  • Weightwatcher6314
    Weightwatcher6314 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I put low fat cottage cheese in my oatmeal. About a quarter cup. It sounds wierd but is really good and the protien helps to cut the carbs.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    When we were kids my mum used to blend cottage cheese and then add some ranch dip powder for us to dip vegetables in. Haven't had it since the 80s, but I remember it being good!
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    abbi1017 wrote: »
    Sounds yummy, I'm going to try it.

Another great hack:

Add a tablespoon or so of sugar free chocolate pudding mix (power not mixed pudding), to a 1 cup of cottage cheese. It may sound gross, but it is not! You will have a yummy, creamy chocolate dessert, without the guilt.

this sounds really interesting to me. I have tried having savory Cottage Cheese but didn't care for it. Have you tired other flavors?

Did you just stir it in or did you put it in like a blender?
  • jpena412
    jpena412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank for the tip! was trying to decide on some healthier choices for the football game this weekend. I think I will try this one out! surprisingly even my husband who isn't a huge cottage cheese fan said it sounds pretty good
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    jpena412 wrote: »
    Thank for the tip! was trying to decide on some healthier choices for the football game this weekend. I think I will try this one out! surprisingly even my husband who isn't a huge cottage cheese fan said it sounds pretty good

Just out of curiosity, who are you rooting for this weekend?
  • karleeggarner
    karleeggarner Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    great tips! I really struggle getting all my protein in and I have been trying to talk myself into trying cottage cheese again. I think that chocolate pudding powder might do the trick for me to tame my chocolate craving while getting in more protein! awesome!

I'm going to keep following hoping more people share their cottage cheese hacks!
  • Mokikki
    Mokikki Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks
  • ecj1031
    ecj1031 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I add Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix, better than the sour cream version to me. Also use cottage cheese in when I make quiche, yummy.
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Sounds yum thanks for sharing I am trying this with Greek yoghurt too!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese - sweet or savory. I just had it this morning for breakfast with grapes and bananas. I've never put it in my oatmeal, but will have to try that one. I also love to eat it with tomatoes and cucumbers with a little salt and pepper. Yum!

I have some powdered PB2 (powdered chocolate peanut butter) that's just sitting in the fridge. I bet it would be good blended with some cottage cheese! Maybe add some frozen cherries and stick it all in the freezer and see what happens. Chocolate cherry dessert. <3

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    jpena412 wrote: »

Just out of curiosity, who are you rooting for this weekend?

wroqtjvd1ak8.jpg