WARNING: This is gross, but I need some runner advice!!

Options
In the last couple weeks I've started running again. One of the issues I've had since I started running in high school is with my toes. I get blood blisters under my second toe nails. They hurt so badly and eventually they cause my toe nails to fall off. I poke the blisters and drain them as much as I can, but it really sucks. Am I the only runner out there that this nastiness happens too?

I've always kept my toenails very trimmed and pretty, but it's really not pretty when they're purple and trying to fall off...YUCK!!!!

HELP ME!!!!

Replies

• cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i wonder if you're wearing the wrong size or style of shoe? maybe get properly fitted for athletic shoes and see if that helps at all. because that sucks!!
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    i wonder if you're wearing the wrong size or style of shoe? maybe get properly fitted for athletic shoes and see if that helps at all. because that sucks!!

That's what I am thinking...
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Run, don't walk and get fitted for shoes. Sound like wrong size / to small toe box.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i have heard about that kind of thng with runnners, and yeah i would say re-assess your shoes
  • Bellum24
    Bellum24 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    you can try wrapping corn pads on them, this will relieve the pressure and may stop the blistering.Do not use corn ointment or lotions or anything like that as it doesn't seem that you have them and the lotions/ointments kill the healthy tissue.
    (I went with my mom to a podiatrist appointment last week, and she has a similar proble with her pinky (baby) toe so maybe this will help for you)
  • lisapickering
    Options
    No you're not alone!! I have lost a couple of toenails, although none in the past few years. Yeah, it could be your shoes are too small, or the toebox isn't big enough... or you could just be unlucky! Likely the shoe size though.
  • jennykling
    jennykling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Our feet swell as we run so I agree with all the others that you probably need a bigger shoe. Go to a running store that has you run and tells you what shoe would work best for your foot.
  • betam
    betam Posts: 16
    Options
    I concur about the size issue. Check out a specialty running shoe store. They are so very helpful! I went for the first time a few months ago and it was like night and day! The extra money for a good pair of running shoes is worth it!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I also think it's a problem with not enough room in your shoes (particularly the toe box). I get the same blood blisters, and it's usually when my toenails aren't as trim as they should be, i've worn through my shoes (too much mileage) or I need to go up a size/switch shoes. Running store...go and go fast! Running store...NOT sporting goods store!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have heard this happens many many many times from people that run so you aren't alone for sure. I run and it hasn't yet happened to me so I don't know what causes it.
  • skinnylove912
    skinnylove912 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started running. Then my Mom's friends (who is an avid runner) told me that the best shoes for a runner are tennis shoes that are specialized for running and are a little too big. They shouldn't feel like clown shoes but they should have enough extra room to where when you run, your toes don't hit the end of your shoes. If you are worried about spending a lot of money on shoes that are just for running, like was, don't worry, if you're dedicated to it you will get your money's worth out of them because they male running so much more fun, easier, and will absorb some of the shock you get when you take a stride (this will help your knees)
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Oh good lord, my toes are so hideous it looks like a horror show inside my shoe. I used to be so embarrassed I wouldn't wear sandals. Now I say the heck with it. I ran a 50K ultra marathon yesterday. Every toenail on my left foot is trashed. I mean, not just black and purple, nasty bruising around the whole nail on some of them and bad swelling. The right foot always fares a bit better, just two discolored nails. Road running can be tough on nails but trail running can masacre them!! Not a whole lot you can do about it. In some cases, a larger shoe or a shoe with a larger toe box will work. Trimming your toenails as short as possible may help too. It is, unfortunately, one of the things we have to live with. Some people are blessed and don't have the problem. I'm NOT!! :ohwell:
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Its probably has something to do with the shoes your wearing.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I can only echo what has been said by others here, get a proper shoe fit. And the best place I have found to do that is a locally owned running shoe store. Those folks are usually runners also. They know what they are doing, and they will take their time with you and see to it you are in the right shoe. And while you are at it, check out some socks and maybe some inserts to go with the shoes. I have found good results on my feet by using a brand of sock called Balega, so you might want to ask about them. At a local running store, you may end up paying a little more than at a larger chain store, but in my opinion, it's worth every single penny. Good luck and happy running!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I just bought a huge box of Johnson and Johnson blister bandaids for toes and fingers, and they stayed on for an 11 mile run.

I am piggybacking your thread but ... I have a similar problems only just a bit weirder. My toenail is fine, but I keep blistering my second toe at the tip. This only started since I finally gave in and went UP a size in shoe to the 11 that I should be wearing...

I used the bandaids this week and it was slightly better, but my 2nd toe looks just horrible - the nail is however perfectly fine.
  • tjalt
    tjalt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You definitely need new shoes and GOOD SOCKS!!! Running socks are worth every penny! Also, an any run longer than 6 or so miles, I coat my feet in non-petroleum jelly. I suffered thru my first year of training for half marathons but this year while training for a full, I coated my feet and WHAT a difference! And only one small blister after the 26.2 :)
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Blisters and toenail loss are NOT normal. Running shoes should not fit like other types of athletic shoes your foot needs space. As the others have said, I suggest getting a fitting from a reputable running store. Prices for shoes at these specialty stores tend to be high but you can always find out what shoe/size is best for you than find last year's model on-line cheaper. Good luck and get to the store ASAP! :0)
  • theemstress
    theemstress Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I hope you're careful when popping the blisters, you risk infection! I used to get blood blisters too and have lost a number of toe nails..the love of running marathons can be painful! At some point along the way though I've switched to a comparable shoe by a different shoe brand and haven't had one since. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself. Good luck!
  • kelseyannxo
    Options
    nope, i get the same thing! my second toe nails always fall off after taking a season off from running. i find that it always happens after prolonged periods of not running, and then after i continue for a while, it helps, but my toenails are already on their way to falling off by then :/ i found that when i invested in new shoes, it helped. i would try looking into a new pair of running shoes (usually expensive for good quality ones, obviously, but so worth it. makes all the difference in the world.)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I've had way more gross running related incidents than missing toe-nails! I haven't had my 2nd toe nail since 2008 when i stared running hardcore. Switching shoes does help but I still lose my toe-nails from running 20+ miles a week.