Veggie Gains. Help!

Options
Ok so at the moment im trying to build muscle in order to get some shape. Ive done some reading and have seen that 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fat seems to be good macros for my current weight. However, im struggling to hit the protein. Im going to start having two scoops of powder rather than one but even then im not hitting the mark i need to. Anyone got any advice? (I also avoid cheese and dairy in general mostly)

Replies

• hamshor
    hamshor Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Go for 60/20/20
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Tofu, quorn, beans
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Quinoa,beans and pulses,eggs,nuts. Impact whey protein (admittedly dairy based )has 23g per scoop.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    tempeh, hummus and some breads are higher in protein as well
  • Jw0287
    Jw0287 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Beans or legumes. Like Cuban black beans and rice. Will help with carbs an protein.
  • iServant
    iServant Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As others have said, Beans, Nuts, Protein Powder are good sources. There's high protein breads too if it fits your carb intake.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Are you vegan or vegetarian?

i have a comprehensive list of good protein sources for both, but i don't want to type it all out if you don't eat dairy/eggs.

Let me know if you're interested and i'll send you the list!

P.S. i'm a lifelong vegetarian and know the struggle!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok so at the moment im trying to build muscle in order to get some shape. Ive done some reading and have seen that 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fat seems to be good macros for my current weight. However, im struggling to hit the protein. Im going to start having two scoops of powder rather than one but even then im not hitting the mark i need to. Anyone got any advice? (I also avoid cheese and dairy in general mostly)

You probably don't need 30% protein, what are your stats?
  • rainbowbow
    edited January 2017
    Options
    hamshor wrote: »
    Go for 60/20/20

why? what reasoning? seriously....

It's possible she doesn't need 30%, but i just wanted to say for vegetarians and vegans they generally need more overall "grams of protein" to account for incomplete protein sources and to acheive the same levels of amino acids as meat-eaters. This is especially the case for the amino acid lysine.

In my experience 30% usually ends up falling within the .8-1.2 grams per pound lean muscle mass as well.

not saying this is the case HERE, just i'd say in general this happens to be the case.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Go for 60/20/20

It's possible she doesn't need 30%, but i just wanted to say for vegetarians and vegans they generally need more overall "grams of protein" to account for incomplete protein sources and to acheive the same levels of amino acids as meat-eaters. This is especially the case for the amino acid lysine.

In my experience 30% usually ends up falling within the .8-1.2 grams per pound lean muscle mass as well.

not saying this is the case HERE, just i'd say in general this happens to be the case.

Op needs roughly 78-112g of protein based on her other thread; this is based of of 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight.
  • rainbowbow
    edited January 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Go for 60/20/20

Op needs roughly 78-112g of protein based on her other thread; this is based of of 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight.

Perfect. :smile:

This is close to what i aim for (90-105g).
  • hamshor
    Options
    Go for 60/20/20

20% ends up fallling within 0.8-1.2 grams per pound lean muscle.
  • hamshor
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Go for 60/20/20

This
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Go for 60/20/20

How did we come to that conclusion without knowledge of her total calorie goal? Was that posted somewhere else?
  • hamshor
    Options
    Go for 60/20/20

How did we come to that conclusion without knowledge of her total calorie goal? Was that posted somewhere else?

How much calories do you eat during a bulk?
  • carinamaria91
    carinamaria91 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, sorry for the late reply i was trying to reply individually but still havent figured out how to? Anyways @rainbowbow I'll call it plant based as to not offend. I am mostly plant based but there are still somethings i have dairy in but to be honest it is mostly sweet stuff! Eg chocolate cake etc when i eat that. Other than that i use alternatives. My calorie goal during my bulk is about 2220 however ive fallen short on this every day. (I have my diary open i think so people should be able to see it) I think ive listened to the you shouldnt eat more than 1500 a day for so long that i cant get into eating 2200 ive not logged a weekend yet though so that might change then ha. I have worked out my macros on various sites taking into consideration working out 5x a week and having an active job too. They all seem to say 40 30 30?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey guys, sorry for the late reply i was trying to reply individually but still havent figured out how to? Anyways @rainbowbow I'll call it plant based as to not offend. I am mostly plant based but there are still somethings i have dairy in but to be honest it is mostly sweet stuff! Eg chocolate cake etc when i eat that. Other than that i use alternatives. My calorie goal during my bulk is about 2220 however ive fallen short on this every day. (I have my diary open i think so people should be able to see it) I think ive listened to the you shouldnt eat more than 1500 a day for so long that i cant get into eating 2200 ive not logged a weekend yet though so that might change then ha. I have worked out my macros on various sites taking into consideration working out 5x a week and having an active job too. They all seem to say 40 30 30?

Your diary is closed. Go here and set to public.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

And honestly, you can keep you macros at the MFP setting. 50% carbs, 30% fats, and 20% protein is more than enough. If your bulking goal is 2200, you need to hit that number every day. Dont' listen to the nonsense that you have to eat clean or cut out xx foods, it's poor advice and will only make it more difficult for you to hit your calorie goal. And if you can't hit your calorie goal, you will never gain. Use the link I posted in my first post to help you out. Adding fats (like nuts/butters/avocado) is a great way to add calories.
  • carinamaria91
    Options
    Thanks @psuLemon
  • carinamaria91
    Options
    It should be on public now!
  • RosyTea
    RosyTea Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Silken tofu can be added to smoothies and soups for a creamier taste but also helps to boost protein. I have started adding protein powder (Vega Protein & Greens) to my smoothie in the morning as well as having my protein shake around lunch because the extra 21g really makes a difference in my count for the day. Protein pancakes can also add a huuuge boost to your protein intake depending on how high the serving (I will link the recipe I use below). Chickpeas are very dense in protein, you can roast them and add them to your salads, throw them in soups, or make a yummy bean salad with them and a variety of other beans (beans are also high in carbs and are fairly calorie dense). I like to snack on tempeh, and will often have 4-5 cups of spring mix topped with a half or whole package of tempeh depending on my workout that day. PB2 is also a good addition to shakes (especially if you make chocolate ones) it gives a boost of 5g of protein in 2tbsp. You can also use a natural nut butter for a boost on protein, fats and calories. I have fallen in love with tofu and my most common dinner is a broccoli tofu stir fry, I throw in 1-2 cups of broccoli, and half a package of tofu sauteed with a small onion, garlic, ginger and a bit of soy sauce.

I excluded anything including eggs, but I do eat them. Slipping egg whites into my smoothies and shakes has given me a strong boost on protein, as well as eating 2 hard boiled eggs for a snack during the day.

Here is the recipe I use for my protein pancakes, I replace the cream with coconut milk. You can used mashed banana to replace the eggs in it, though the protein content will drop if you do so.
    http://www.tasteaholics.com/recipes/quick-bites/low-carb-pancakes.

Good luck! :)