Garmin Fenix 5 - GPS watch

Options
2»

Replies

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    My enthusiasm is waning. The 5x is going to be even bigger and heavier than the 3HR. 98 grams! That's over a pound sitting on your wrist. I'm not a big guy so the 3HR is really pushing the limit for me.

The 5x looks great but other than the topos there isn't that much I'm excited about. I'm not an ultra distance guy so another couple of days of battery life isn't a huge deal. Pairing with Bluetooth chest straps is nice but I already have an HR-run. More colors? Meh. And that charging configuration seems like breakage waiting to happen.

I may feel like differently later, but the size is really turning me off.

In the video the Garmin representative says the 5X is the same size as the Fenix 3 and that the others are smaller than the Fenix 3.

Got it, and my math was way off! I'm going to wait and see what it looks like but knowing me I'll pull it the trigger.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    DCRainmaker posted this comment to his site:

As noted, it’s not going to work for most wrists to charge on the wrist (unless you have a hole in your wrist). I pressed Garmin a bit on this, agreeing that it seems like a short-sighted move considering the focus of the watch.

In a nutshell, their answer was two-fold. First was the focus on trying to make a single standardized cable across all watches. They’re just as frustrated as the rest of us with having a new cable watch watch. The goal of this cable is to be *the* standard Garmin charging cable…period. By removing the clasp design, they can more easily do that, since it won’t change watch to watch.

They’re aware of the issue with Ultra folks, and noted it was hotly debated internally. Their challenge is how to accommodate something that they think is probably far less than 1% of users (I’d agree, looking at the numbers, it’s not even a fraction of that).

I suggested perhaps coming out with an accessory charging clip designed to be worn. I’d’ guess than any person doing that type of endurance event won’t substantially mind paying $10-20 for an accessory charger that’s well designed to be worn while in an event.

Finally, note that the charging cable does look much like the Fitbit Surge cable. Except, it’s a crapton better at staying put. It snaps it place quite firmly, and i was easily able to swing it around vigorously like a lasso/fan, and it didn’t fly/fall off. If that’s any consolation.
  • _bigtone
    _bigtone Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Having read the DC Rainmaker comparision's between the fenix 3 that I have now and the 5, I really don't see any need to upgrade. Which is disappointing as not only did they 'skip an iteration' (can't see why?), I love buying tech! :(
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    _bigtone wrote: »
    Having read the DC Rainmaker comparision's between the fenix 3 that I have now and the 5, I really don't see any need to upgrade. Which is disappointing as not only did they 'skip an iteration' (can't see why?), I love buying tech! :(

Unless you want a smaller one or the topos(that's me) I agree there isn't much need to upgrade.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    This is definitely on my grocery list. My 920xt is amazing, and I have an Apple Watch 2 which might have been amazing but 3rd party apps just aren't coming through with fitness stuff. So...planning on selling both to offset the insane cost of the 5x. I was going to be buying an actual bike computer (like the 820), but I think this will pretty much be 1 solution device...especially b/c I don't really use enough smart watch features to make something like my Apple Watch 2 useful enough. As a triathlete, I can't listen to music during races anyway, so music controls are pointless, and I typically go to my phone after I see a text alert or phone alert now on my Apple Watch. And I really want wrist HR...as I have never liked wearing chest straps...or any other straps.

@_bigtone They skipped the iteration because of this from DC's post: "Oh, one last thing. Wondering why there’s not a Fenix4? That’s because the phonetic pronunciation of that in Chinese roughly translates to ‘fast rise to quick death’. Not exactly the starting point Garmin wanted to begin with."
  • version50
    version50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Love my F3 Sapphire. Best watch I've ever owned and Garmin has definitely roped me in as a customer of their stuff.

I just don't see a compelling need to go with the F5, though. The F5 and F5S takes away screen real estate, which my 'old guy' eyes desperately require during a run or bike race. The F5X is definitely cool, but even bulkier than the current F3, which already looks a little too big for my skinny wrists.

I thought I would upgrade to the F5 (just read that "Fenix Four" is equivalent to the word "Death" in Chinese, so it got dropped as an iteration by Garmin marketing), but I think I'll take that $700 and apply towards an Edge 520 and some new running shoes.

For those that pre-ordered - what was your compelling reasons?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I haven't pre-ordered yet (because it isn't available at REI yet) but my list of compelling reasons is above in this thread.

I forgot one thing on the list. The F5X will need a faster processor and faster memory to be able to use maps. It takes an eternity to save an activity or load a course with my F3 HR. My ancient Edge 800 does these things instantly. The F5X should be better in this regard, I expect. That wouldn't be enough to part with that kind of money, but the rest of the list is above.
  • version50
    version50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you look like a hard core mountaineer, so I can see why you'd want better map capability. I'm jealous! I wish we had equivalent geography here on the East Coast.