How many grams in a cup or bowl?

Options
Exactly how many grams are there in a cup or bowl measure of myfitnesspal?

Replies

• roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Everything weighs differently, so a cup of "x" isn't going to weigh the same as a cup of "y".
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    There is really no way to know. It will be different for different foods. That is why you need to use a food scale and weigh your food in grams.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    A bowl of rice is going to weight a heck of a lot different than a bowl of rice crispies. It's not an easy answer.
  • amy4selflove
    amy4selflove Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Get an inexpensive food scale and measure your servings. Put the bowl on the scale, tare it to "0" and then add your items to get the reading.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Please get a food scale and do not use measuring cups.. You will never get your intake down without a scale.
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but a cup and a gram aren't in the same category. A cup/bowl is a measurement of volume, a gram is a measurement of weight. Going with the trend of the rest of the thread, a food scale is your best friend! Hope that helps!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Its kind of like asking how many leaves are on a tree. It depends on other variables so there is not a single correct answer.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How big of a bowl? And a bowl of what and how full is the bowl? A bowl isn't a unit of measurement and grams doesn't convert to cups or bowls.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

That's not a conversion you can do...you can't take a volume measurement and convert it to weight...you need to get a food scale.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Get a scale.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

That's not a conversion you can do...you can't take a volume measurement and convert it to weight...you need to get a food scale.

If it's water and you are using the metric system you can. I love the metric system.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    SCALE!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    A cup of ball bearings weighs more than a cup of feathers. Buy a scale.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    invest in a food scale
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    You have to ignore entries with serving sizes of "bowl" "cup" "slice" etc. Search for your item with 100g tagged on or ounces .. ie "blueberries 100g" "tomato soup oz"
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Gram is a measure of weight. Cup is a measure of volume. Bowls are serving dishes and have no reliable standard measure.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Also, not all bowls are the same size, so this question is impossible to answer. I have 3 different sized bowls in my cupboard, salad, soup and desert. Regardless of which one is being used, I zero it out on my scale, and then weigh my food in grams.