The Nutritarian Lifestyle for Health

Options
I think his approach is the best paradigm of what we should be eating for optimal health. Foods high in micrinutrients,anti oxidants, fiber, low growth hormones . Refined grains, processed foods, and meats are the antithesis of that.

https://youtu.be/RwF3BfbZdLU

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I include all of that in my diet.

Even the antitheses, in moderation.

Works for me.
  • illyasHodrick
    illyasHodrick Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Works for me.

I have a very all or nothing personality. I can't have any of that stuff in my house or I'll eat it. I have had far more success setting that boundary in the past year than I have had with moderation. My taste buds can't handle how jazzed up most foods are now.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Works for me.

I have a very all or nothing personality. I can't have any of that stuff in my house or I'll eat it. I have had far more success setting that boundary in the past year than I have had with moderation. My taste buds can't handle how jazzed up most foods are now.

Good job finding what works for you! *high five*
  • illyasHodrick
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I prefer a large amount of growth hormone in my food.

*double bicep*

It's great at building biceps, Aging and cancer.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

*double bicep*

Not much we can do about aging, nutritarian diet or not. Lots of countries out there with low access to "Refined grains, processed foods, and meats" that haven't uncovered the fountain of youth.
    I have a low tolerance for fearmongering, so I cut that out of my diet :)

Me, too!
  • illyasHodrick
    Options

*double bicep*

Not much we can do about aging, nutritarian diet or not. Lots of countries out there with low access to "Refined grains, processed foods, and meats" that haven't uncovered the fountain of youth.

Not true. It does accelerate aging and cancers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4095988/
  • illyasHodrick
    Options
    I have a low tolerance for fearmongering, so I cut that out of my diet :)

Fear mongering? More of a wake up call. We have a health epidemic in this country. Trillions wasted in diet related health care. 99.9% of it preventable. It'll get worse In the coming decades. That's not fear mongering, that's reality.
  • illyasHodrick
    Options

*double bicep*

Directly from the abstract of your study:
    Studies in mammals have led to the suggestion that hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemia are important factors in aging.

You can include your "antithesis" foods without inducing hyperglycemia/hyperinsulinemia. Diabetes is a medical condition that is obviously going to take a toll on your health in more ways than one, especially when paired with obesity, sedentary lifestyle, and poor diet.

However, you can maintain a balanced diet and healthy weight while still including refined grains, meat, and processed foods. The key is understanding dosage and context and finding a balance that works for you.

The mammals in the study did not have hyperglycemia. Every time you eat the 'antithesis ' foods, you rev up those genes and hormones. Moderation kills.

Btw, what's moderation? It's very subjective, and will change depending on who you talk to. People are terrible at being moderate if our health crisis is any indication.
  • illyasHodrick
    Options
    Also I'm talking about health, not weight. You can be 5'10 150lbs and still have any diseases.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Meh, I'm in optimal health and I eat all sorts of 'processed' foods, as well as meat. I'm very happy with how I eat and I'm in excellent health with a bmi of around 21. I'm doing things in a way that's been sustainable for almost 4 years now and will continue to be sustainable for the next 40 :)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Also, Dr. Fuhrman charges people money just to get access to many of the things on his website, which is 'interesting'. I have read his book though, which I borrowed from the library, and yeah-not impressed :p
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

*double bicep*

Studies in mammals have led to the suggestion that hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemia are important factors in aging.

You can include your "antithesis" foods without inducing hyperglycemia/hyperinsulinemia. Diabetes is a medical condition that is obviously going to take a toll on your health in more ways than one, especially when paired with obesity, sedentary lifestyle, and poor diet.

However, you can maintain a balanced diet and healthy weight while still including refined grains, meat, and processed foods. The key is understanding dosage and context and finding a balance that works for you.

The mammals in the study did not have hyperglycemia. Every time you eat the 'antithesis ' foods, you rev up those genes and hormones. Moderation kills.

Btw, what's moderation? It's very subjective, and will change depending on who you talk to. People are terrible at being moderate if our health crisis is any indication.

Moderation as usually used on these forums means meeting your nutrient goals with mostly nutrient-dense foods while incorporating foods that you enjoy without exceeding your calorie goals. If you're doing it this way, it's hard to overeat any one thing to the point that it impacts your health.

If you're maintaining an overall healthy diet, having a Twinkie once in a while will not hurt anything, nor will a beer, a cookie, a glass of wine, a frozen mac & cheese - you get the idea.

It is clear that with the obesity epidemic that people are bad at moderating intake, but that includes intake of all foods.

Vilifying a certain food or food group is just not rational. Overall intake needs to be monitored for both weight and health.
  • illyasHodrick
    Options

*double bicep*

giphy.gif

The glycemic index.
    The American public.
  • illyasHodrick
    Options
    Also, Dr. Fuhrman charges people money just to get access to many of the things on his website, which is 'interesting'. I have read his book though, which I borrowed from the library, and yeah-not impressed :p

You can't get everything for free. Lol
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I thought "nutritarians" were people who only eat nuts.