I've reached a plateau. I haven't lost anything in the past few days. What Should I do?

Options
How do I overcome the plateau? I haven't lost any weight recently? What should I do?

Replies

• BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    In the past few days? As in 2 or 3 days? That's not really enough time to class anything as a plateau. Give it a couple weeks :) you'll start losing again
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Patience and persistence is the key.

What is your goal rate of loss?

What is your mfp-generated daily calorie goal?

How well are you doing at accurately weighing and recording your food?
    Are you completing each day near your daily calorie goal? Under? Over?

How much water are you drinking after your last meal?

MFP doesn't mention the timing of water, but I've found that for me a quart, 32 oz, of water consumed after my last meal each day prevents salt-caused water retention with my daily weigh-in.

You have all the female-related special problems of menstrual bloating and water retention which no amount of internet trickery can fix. Just be patient.

Are you using a weight averaging app like Happy Scale for IOS or Libra for android?
  • GemmaM_x
    GemmaM_x Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You haven't lost weight in the past few days? Relax. It's normal for me to lose, then gain over a few days, then lose, then a gain...

Patience.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Patience. You are not going to lose weight every day, or every week. The human body is not that efficient, as to take what you do today and make it immediately visible tomorrow. At any give time, there is a variance of easily 3-5 pounds in 'water weight' which is influenced by sodium, stress, sleep, muscle fatigue/repair, TOM/hormones.

Accurately & honestly log your food/drink intake, eating at a deficit, and over time you will lose weight. Give it a week or 2 or 3. The scale should move if you're logging accurately.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    A few days is absolutely not a plateau. Patience grasshopper.
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Carry on! I only lost 100 grams from the 3rd of Jan to the 10th, but look at my trend - it's going just fine. Weight even goes UP some days...it's all normal.

34dkkft.jpg

• Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My longest plateau, when losing 75 pounds in 18 months, was six (6) weeks. Yup - 6 whole weeks without losing a pound.

HOWEVER

I was measuring chest, belly, hips and saw the inches still melting away, so I plodded on with diet and exercise until the plateau was finally over.

Hang in there!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It's not a plateau until its been 2-3 weeks. Weight is not like sand in an hourglass that drizzles out of you at an even daily rate.