Large weight variations

Options
2»

Replies

• Elsiebeane
    Elsiebeane Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    Use an app (I use Happy Scale). You log daily, but it removes the daily fluctuations and tells you whether you're really gaining or losing over the long haul.

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't heard of that site. :smiley:
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Libra does. I keep a record of TOM in there.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Weight loss is not linear. Weight is not stable, it fluctuates. Your fluctuations are well within "normal" ranges.

Keep doing what you're doing.

PS- My best fluctuation was 17lbs up over a weekend which went within 4 days.

I am always amazed by people who have fast rebounds from upward fluctuations like that. When I have an uptick in water retention due to something I've eaten it takes several weeks for me to get back to normal (e.g., going up 4 pounds on a high carb/sodium day takes around 2 weeks to recover, 8 pounds over Christmas/New Years week takes all of January to recover.)

What I have found is if you want to get rid of the water weight quickly and it is from eating a lot of carbs and sodium, drink a lot of water. It sounds counterintuitive, but drinking water will help you normalize the water balance within your body. You can also do some cardio (nothing too intense) to use some of the glycogen, but I would not suggest that unless you actually have a weigh-in for some reason.

For the record, you CAN drink too much water and screw up the electrolyte levels, but that is pretty difficult to do in practice. Between the bathroom runs and the lack of desire to drink ANYTHING else, you would literally have to force yourself to go down that path.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use the monthly average method, weigh in every day first thing in the morning.
    Take the last 28 days ad all the weights togehter then devide by 28,
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Weight loss is not linear. Weight is not stable, it fluctuates. Your fluctuations are well within "normal" ranges.

Keep doing what you're doing.

PS- My best fluctuation was 17lbs up over a weekend which went within 4 days.

I am always amazed by people who have fast rebounds from upward fluctuations like that. When I have an uptick in water retention due to something I've eaten it takes several weeks for me to get back to normal (e.g., going up 4 pounds on a high carb/sodium day takes around 2 weeks to recover, 8 pounds over Christmas/New Years week takes all of January to recover.)

What I have found is if you want to get rid of the water weight quickly and it is from eating a lot of carbs and sodium, drink a lot of water. It sounds counterintuitive, but drinking water will help you normalize the water balance within your body. You can also do some cardio (nothing too intense) to use some of the glycogen, but I would not suggest that unless you actually have a weigh-in for some reason.

For the record, you CAN drink too much water and screw up the electrolyte levels, but that is pretty difficult to do in practice. Between the bathroom runs and the lack of desire to drink ANYTHING else, you would literally have to force yourself to go down that path.

Would this be extra water on top of regular water? I get in a good amount of water simply because I like it (it's my "go to drink") and because I am thirsty a lot. Between plain water and coffee and iced tea, I get close to 200 oz. of water per day.