Needing a little support

Options
Okay, here comes my Debby-Downer soap box moment (aka I need some support). Today was yet another day of completely sabotaging my good intent and really hard workout. I was so hungry in the morning that I ended up using all my cals by noon. Needless to say, I couldn't starve the rest of the day, but I did snack way more than necessary. I tell myself tomorrow will be another day for me to give MFP a go, and I really really really hope I can stick with it. My primary goal isn't to lose weight (although I wouldn't mind letting go of 10 or so pounds). Rather, I'd really like to become a mindful eater. Since starting grad school food just seems way to convenient and satisfying in the moment. C'est la vie.

So, I've made my intended meal plan for tomorrow. That's a good start, right? Any suggestions on my diary for tomorrow would be great =)

Replies

• GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    I looked at your food diary for today, and all though you went over your recommended calorie limit for the day, the food you ate was still mostly on the healthy side. I wouldn't look at today as a downer at all. Maybe you were a little off, but not too bad. Just realize when you wake up in the morning that it is a new day that will be filled with new challenges and opportunities, and do your best!
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    And feel free to add me as a friend if you would like, as well.
  • Skaren
    Skaren Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I log food before i eat it...it shows me what the consequence is going to be of what is on my plate in front of me. I have also made my diary public so people can look at it and give feedback.

I too am trying to be a more mindful eater....:smile:
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    here's what i do. i eat 5 meals a day. not three meals and two snacks but five meals. most of my cals are for breakfast when i eat about 450 cals and then after that i eat every 3 hours and my meal cals are around 250 to 300. i just made a new menu but you can take a look at my diary from last week. dont look at this past week it was a total goat you know what. eating every 3 hours keeps your metabolism burning constantly and also prevents you from getting too hungry. i'm never hungry during the day and when i wake up for breakfast i am normal hungry as in "yeah i could eat something" as opposed to OMG I HAVE TO EAT NOW!!!!. lol

I think spreading your cals out more and eating smaller meals more often might help you be more mindful and never let yourself get so hungry that you eat too much. i eat at 5:30, 10 am( that's too long, im going to change that to 9 am) noon, 3 pm and 6 ish. that last one depends on how long my workout is. i workout after work at 4:30. im still revving from the meal i ate at 3 pm so i'm not hungry, and then by the time i'm done and it's dinner time, i get the benefits from eating soon enough after a workout and not being totally ravenous. you could try that and see if that works for you
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Sophie, I think outlining what you will eat ahead of time can be helpful. Also having standby healthy foods that you like is a great idea. I love Quaker chewy granola bars, and at 100 calories they are satisfying without being a diet sabotage. Baby carrots and 100 calorie microwave popcorn bags have also gotten me through. Another option if you accidentally eat your calories early - add some more exercise to earn more calories!
  • sophiessweets
    Options
    All your tips and suggestions are very helpful. I like the idea of spreading my meals out a bit more. I already work out for an hour to an hour and a half a day with moderately high intensity so I don't want to add more because I'll wear myself out (been there, done that). I feel like for all the work I put in at the gym, I don't show in appearance. I'm not overweight, but I know I could look and feel better if I could just mind the snacking. Why is this so hard!?
  • efarester
    efarester Posts: 158
    Options
    Have you ever tried Shakeology? It is a meal replacement shake - has 70+ ingredients and you can add whatever fruits etc you like to it as well. I have been using it regularly for about 4 months or so and it has helped reduce any sugar cravings and give me energy. I struggle with getting solid meals in during the day - so this helps me to guarantee I get some of my protein, fiber, vitamins, etc.
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    All your tips and suggestions are very helpful. I like the idea of spreading my meals out a bit more. I already work out for an hour to an hour and a half a day with moderately high intensity so I don't want to add more because I'll wear myself out (been there, done that). I feel like for all the work I put in at the gym, I don't show in appearance. I'm not overweight, but I know I could look and feel better if I could just mind the snacking. Why is this so hard!?

I don't see exercise logged most days, even when post-workout food is logged. If you're going hard 1-1.5 hours per day and not logging it, you're undereating and it's no wonder you feel ravenous. Maybe you could try logging and eating those calories for a while, and then see how you feel.