Hand grip when lifting...Ouch

Options
Hi all

I had 8x PT sessions before Xmas and we started doing the stiff legged deadlift (although from the numerous videos I've watched its more like the American Deadlift - is there much difference? Anyhow!) I got to weight 45kg which I loved except my hands hurt and I felt my grip was failing me, like my fingers literally go stiff for around 30seconds after the workout, I tried chalk but didnt really help, we tried under/overhand grip too but that didnt help either, my PT said this will get better over time as my grip strentgh will improve but I feel I can lift more but my hands just wont let me - any tips??

Replies

• KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It just takes time to build grip strength and until it does, and you start building some callouses it's gonna suck. Good grip exercises are farmers walks and holding the last deadlift of each set at the lockout for a few seconds before setting it down.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Where are you holding the bar? In the palm of your hand or across the knuckles?

n90y4ln8ttx1.jpg
  • cogirljb
    cogirljb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen. At 135lbs my hands hurt, my grip was crap and I thought there was no way I could lift anything heavier. Someone told me to pause when I needed and readjust my hands and then continue. That seemed to help a lot, I've also started doing pullups (assisted) but that seems to have helped too!! I'm now at 155lbs with no issues with my hands or grip :))
  • mcouey84
    mcouey84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This exercise/tool is excellent for forearm and grip strength...for the life of me I can't remember the name...

Wrist-Forearm-Blaster-Grip-Strength-Training-Foam-Handles-Rehabilitation-Tool-with-125kg-Weight-Bell_nologo_600x600.jpg

A few years ago I made one with a length of cotton rope tied to a dowel rod and small plate (2.5 or 5#)...worked like a charm!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Buy a pair of straps.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    it just takes time. i'm sure you can lift more than your hands will allow, we are only as strong as our weakest link. just keep doing it. i woudlnt recommend straps, not necessary. your hands can and will get very strong
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I use straps. I don't want to be a powerlifter and don't care about grip strength.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Your hands will get used to it. I still have days on high rep sets where my hands ache afterwards, but my grip strength keeps pace nicely with the rest of my strength.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    KMAF00 wrote: »
    I feel I can lift more but my hands just wont let me - any tips??

if your hands go actually stiff - can't extend your fingers - afterwards, that seems a little unusual. not the same issue as the skin-deep problems most newbies have until calluses form.

i'm not sure what might help, other than the usual stuff for muscle cramps - magnesium, potassium, calcium. and fwiw, i did a three-month project where i resolved to use only those spring-grip clips on the bar, instead of the snap-on collars. it did make my left hand a whole lot stronger, b ut i ended up with this weird thing where my right hand can't figure out how to manage those clips. the angle feels backwards with the right hand.

mind you, i've always had a grip like a strangler, so i'm not sure how helpful that is. the magnesium/potassium do seem to help, but maybe your trainer is right and it's just a matter of growing your strength.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I use straps. I don't want to be a powerlifter and don't care about grip strength.

i care about grip strength, i want to be able to open jars when i'm 70
  • michaelroberts90475
    Options
    Could always try a hook grip. Thumbs will be sore, especially after the first time trying it, but it does help with the feeling of the bar rolling out.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

i care about grip strength, i want to be able to open jars when i'm 70

And using straps will prevent you from going that? Nonsense!

I'm 66 and use straps AND gloves and I've got enough grip strength to pinch carry 35# plates in both hands and open any jar in my pantry. LOL!!!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Could always try a hook grip. Thumbs will be sore, especially after the first time trying it, but it does help with the feeling of the bar rolling out.

Hook grip is the devil.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

Hook grip is the devil.

Agreed. Almost tore off my thumb nails doing hook.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    it just takes time. i'm sure you can lift more than your hands will allow, we are only as strong as our weakest link. just keep doing it. i woudlnt recommend straps, not necessary. your hands can and will get very strong

Agreed.

You are very early in your lifting career. I wouldn't use straps at this point. I'm not saying never to do it but I wouldn't do it this early.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Are you using the thinnest bar available at your gym? I ask this because my gym has two types of bars, one is significantly thicker than the other and a real kitten to hang on to.
    I've found heavy dumb bell and cable rows etc to be helpful for grip strength (plus good back work!) I would probably choose grip assistance in the form of rowing over some of the more grip specific exercises you could do.
    I was struggling with my grip a few months ago as I was just starting up deadlifts after a significant amount of time off, and after some patience, my grip has now caught up extremely well.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Keep working on it. Grip strength will catch up fairly quickly.
  • kmaf2018
    kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice, I will just bear with it until my grip starts to strenghten!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Invest in gloves or straps. Both can aid with grip. I have something similar happen to me every upper body day - my ring finger of my left hand crunches down uncontrollably and the rest of my hand goes numb which makes it really difficult to grip. This lasts like 2-6 hours. I have Lupus, so there's a reason behind the occurence, but I've found that a good pair of gloves helps. I need to get wrist straps because I have a major issue with deadlifts. 110 fixed bar is my max because the regular bar is too wide for my tiny hands and the spasm goes insane whenever I try.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how fast grip strength develops, it's a major thing in pole!! I know chalk is used for lifters but have you tried any aerial grip aids such as I tac or dry hands? Also callouses are your friend