Looking for vegan friends?

Options

Replies

• csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @NewGemini130 i couldn't figure out how to add friends either! Boo. Y'all feel free to add me. ☺
  • JaneN2010
    JaneN2010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a long time vegan, new to MFP! Feel free to add me :-)
  • LittleBoBeep9
    LittleBoBeep9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan of over a year and vegetarian of over 6 years. Those processed things will cause you to have HIGHER blood pressure. Eat things like curry or turmeric, and lower sodium. Vegetables, brown rice, stir fry, etc. are all good choices, just don't rely on replacements too much, but in the beginning they are okay, and you ca have one of these things a day maybe. Also, idk how to add people yet, but feel free to add me!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Dr. McDougall is a quack and his prepared foods in the stores are, ironically, really high in sodium. His information seems good, in theory, but there are many other great sources for vegan information and nutrition. I'm vegan, so please feel free to add me as a friend!

Dr McDougall also claims to have cured incurable diseases on his website

Like which?
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi, vegetarian 15 years, vegan for.. 3? wow time does fly, I try to eat healthy but I don't judge :B feel free to add but please be active and comment and stuff. I'm an ethical vegan btw, so you can have ur oreos and coke, I care not :P
  • Megatron032
    Megatron032 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! New to MFP and 12 year vegan. I'd love some vegan friends!
  • madamedk
    madamedk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have decided to become vegan after 22 years being vegetarian, would love some ideas, inspiration, encouragement etc and am happy to dish it out too :)
  • aikilady
    aikilady Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Although Dr. McDougall is a little bit far out with some of his ideas and to extreme on some of his views, he also has a lot of good information for those wanting to transition to a starch-based or plant-based diet.
    One needs to just keep an open mind when listening to his stuff or reading his books, use your own head and throw out what you don't like.
    I personally eat about 90% plant-based, so not a strict vegan or vegetarian but, anything is better than nothing when it comes to blood pressure and health you can still improve your numbers by going mostly plant-based.
    I'm 34 years old and my blood pressure is 102/68. My entire family history is full of high blood pressure, stroke, heart disease and diabetes. When my grandmother was my age she was already on two different blood pressure medicines.
    I credit my athletic active lifestyle coupled with a plant-based diet for my excellent health.
    Also for what it's worth, most people who go against the grain of traditional medical advice are viewed as quacks. I have been helped by a few "quacks" in my lifetime, such as naturopathic doctors or maso -therapists when the medical community was not able to help me.
    Keep an open mind and don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, although McDougall is a bit weird and I don't buy into everything he says he's got a lot of good advice if you're looking to lower your blood pressure.
    For weight loss purposes, what you eat doesn't matter, only calories. But for your internal health (blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes) what you eat absolutely does matter.
  • ahrengirl
    ahrengirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am working on transitioning from SAD to vegan. My challenge is I travel a lot for work. Lots of entertaining and dinners out with customers.
  • erinjbeall
    erinjbeall Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Vegan here! Would love new vegan pals :)
  • jackilync
    jackilync Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I've been vegetarian/mostly vegan for a year and just went totally vegan on the 1st.
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Vegan tooooo!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the DASH diet/guidelines? DASH (dietary approaches to stop hypertension) isbusually recommended for those who have high blood pressure and has a pretty high success rate. I highly suggest you look into this.

Not really sure being vegan could help, and have never heard of it helping high BP before, but if you think it will help, no harm in trying.
  • karinaknight
    karinaknight Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Vegan of two years here! Feel free to add me!
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Vegan here! I'd love more vegan friends :blush:
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    kzooyogi wrote: »
    Vegan here! I'd love more vegan friends :blush:

I should add that high blood pressure runs in my family. Last time I went to the doctor, between my blood pressure and heart rate, the NP asked, "Are you an athlete?" I don't recall what my blood pressure was, but my heart rate (this appointment was at 2:30 pm) was 62 bpm.

My family also has congenital high cholesterol. As a vegan, I don't consume any cholesterol, but my total cholesterol level is still close to the upper limit. However, my HDL (good cholesterol) is very, very good, and my ratio of HDL to LDL (bad cholesterol) is very high, which is what they look at more closely than the total number.

• ABVeganRunLift
    ABVeganRunLift Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Vegan here for 6 months in Boston,MA! Feel free to add me!
  • violetta5345
    violetta5345 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi. Plant-based diet here. Feel free to add me!
  • emmyed2015
    emmyed2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Looking for new vegan friends so anyone feel free to add me!
    I've been vegan for 5 years and vegetarian for 10 years before that.
    Not sure if it's related to vegan, but just had a checkup - cholesterol, blood pressure, fasting sugar levels, iron, and B12 are all looking great.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure won't be affected unless your high blood pressure is directly related to diet. Sorry! I am veg and it really didn't affect my BP, still have to take pills.