Bulking/too much protein?

Options
LewisClinch97
LewisClinch97 Posts: 2 Member
I'm 5,7, weigh 137lb and am 12% body fat. I'm currently been bulking for a week and have put on 1lb which is my weekly goal. This app has told me to eat 3070 which I do most days (some days I'm a little under and some days I go over). I seem to struggle putting on weight, I've gone to the gym for two years now and still weigh roughly the same, so does anyone have any tips for bulking for someone my size? Also my protein goal is 153g but on most days I'm getting in around 220g of protien, is this way too much for someone my size? Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    What's your age and are you new to weightlifting? I do think that's way too much protein.
  • LewisClinch97
    LewisClinch97 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    19 years old and have been going to the gym for two years now, though I'd say I've been lifting seriously for a year.
  • mcouey84
    mcouey84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    "1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (2.2 g/kg of BW) per day has been a bodybuilding rule of thumb for decades. Higher levels of protein intake, usually in the range of 1.2 – 1.5 grams per pound of body weight (2.6 – 3.3 g/kg BW) per day, are commonly recommended when “cutting” to lose fat."

-Google, Muscle for Life

I've used this (above) as well as 2 grams of carbs per pound of body weight for bulks over the last 15 years.

I'd say you're taking too much in at your current weight...
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    I would consider replacing a lot of the 220 grams of protein with carbs. Being around 153 grams of protein is fine for bulking. The carbs will help fuel the workouts. The excess protein will just turn to carbs. And protein is more expensive then carbs. Save your money. And enjoy the extra food.

Stick to a good lifting program. Be consistent in what you are doing. Try to gain on average about 1lb per week. Add in foods like ice cream to get to the calorie goal if you struggle getting in all the calories. Keep record of your progression in lifts, weight and measurements. Have a plan and stick to it. Lots of luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're not gaining weight then you're not eating enough calories.

Yes, I think your protein is excessive.

Carbs are king when you're bulking.
  • ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a question: if he's required to eat 3070 calories a day, wouldn't 220 g of protein just be about 29% of this total daily calorie goal? I thought 35%C - 35%P - 30%F was pretty much a standard stetting? Or is the point in this case that he should lower his entire daily calorie goal?
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    Two books you can get online that has all the information you need.
    Eric Helms
    The Muscle and Strength Pyramid Training
    The Muscle and Strength Pyramid Nutrition
  • ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Two books you can get online that has all the information you need.
    Eric Helms
    The Muscle and Strength Pyramid Training
    The Muscle and Strength Pyramid Nutrition

Thanks for the tip, will definitely check those out!
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    You are welcome! :)
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    ieroen wrote: »
    I have a question: if he's required to eat 3070 calories a day, wouldn't 220 g of protein just be about 29% of this total daily calorie goal? I thought 35%C - 35%P - 30%F was pretty much a standard stetting? Or is the point in this case that he should lower his entire daily calorie goal?
    Percentages aren't always particularly useful. I have been on 6000 calories bulks, and if I had set my protein goal to 35% of that, I would have had to eat 525 g of protein. That clearly would have been way above what I needed.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Percentages aren't always particularly useful. I have been on 6000 calories bulks, and if I had set my protein goal to 35% of that, I would have had to eat 525 g of protein. That clearly would have been way above what I needed.

I agree with your thoughts on percentages but am interested: how much do you weigh and are you extremely active. Many people throw round high calorie intake bulks on here as if it's a bragging right.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

I agree with your thoughts on percentages but am interested: how much do you weigh and are you extremely active. Many people throw round high calorie intake bulks on here as if it's a bragging right.

That was nearly 20 years ago when I was 230 lbs and very active. Eating that much is uncomfortable, time consuming, and expensive. It was not enjoyable and nothing to brag about; that is just the reality of what it took to gain at the time. The point of my post was only to illustrate the limitations in setting macros as percentages of total calories.