Suggestions on meals for someone who doesn't eat veggies really!?

Options
2»

Replies

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Growing up I never ate a vegetable other than potatoes and corn. In fact I never had broccoli until I was at my in-laws and didn't want to be rude, and I didn't care for it at all. Now, about 80% of my diet is vegetables and I love them. Roasting them was a game changer for me. My advice is to try many different types, different seasonings and different cooking methods. Hopefully, you'll for one... or many that you love.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Try putting vegetables in stir fries, soups, or on a sandwich. You'll probably never love them, and won't be able to eat all of them, but you can easily increase the amount you eat by cooking them in ways that taste better. I'm not a huge veggie person myself but now eat a lot more than I ever thought I would.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Just eat your vegetables. They fill you up with a small amount of calories. Just do it. You can buy them frozen in steampacks that you just toss in the microwave - already seasoned and everything. They've made it really easy to incorporate veggies into a diet. Just eat them. Your post said you don't really eat them, but it didn't say anything about not liking them...so just start incorporating them into your diet.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    you can add them to omelettes and scrambles as well, chopped finely and cooked a bit first before you add the eggs. add a little cheese too and it will further mask them.
  • hesavesme94
    hesavesme94 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have found spaghetti squash to be tasty! Pretty easy to make and ver similar to spaghetti! Cut the squash in half and brush with olive oil, season if you like. Bake with the cut half face down at 350°F until tender. Scrape the inside of the squash with a fork, scoop unto bowl and top with tomato sauce. When I was on nutrisystem, this would have been an entirely "free" meal. I topped it with some of the meatballs I got as part of my food and it was delicious!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm making yakisoba tonight, it's not completely authentic, but loaded with veggies. Even my veggie hating husband is excited for his favorite Japanese street food https://eatlaughcraft.com/2014/01/12/beef-yakisoba/
  • FlippingFins
    FlippingFins Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I always struggled with vegetables. As others have said, it was mainly a case of learning how to prepare them to my liking. I discovered that I like them to still have their crunch, unless I'm cooking them into something where it doesn't matter so much. So, if I'm eating them as individual vegetables, I buy fresh and cook them just enough (or leave them raw).

I also make a Filo parcel. I use two sheets of Filo pastry and add to it a mashed-up mix of butternut squash, mushrooms, broccoli and red onion, with a tomato-based sauce. For this, I use frozen vegetables as they're cheaper and easier to store, and it doesn't matter as I plan to cook them and mash them thoroughly anyway. The crunchy texture of the Filo pastry makes it very satisfying, whilst the vegetables and sauce all blend together and become a very tasty filling with no specific flavour standing out enough to get noticed. That's roughly 500 calories for a very hearty meal that tastes much less healthy than it is. Personally I do use a prepared tomato pasta sauce (roughly 1/3 of a jar for two people - it doesn't need a lot), but you could do it even healthier by using a tomato sauce without any additives of any kind at all.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    You could always branch out into interesting and different veggies like jicama which when peeled and sliced or cut into fry-like shape is juicy and crunchy and is really yummy dipped in cinnamon (like a juicy apple, but very low calorie), or maybe you'd like fennel bulb which has a slight black licorice/anise flavour and can make a yummy chopped salad with a fruity vinagrette like raspberry.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Anecdote: When I was 4 years old, my (vegetarian) mother took my to a carnivale, where I asked her to buy me some fish sticks. They were so terrible, but my mother didn't allow me to waste food, and she made me finish them.

Those fish sticks were soooo terrible, sooo terrible, that I did not touch fish again until I was 21. And then, I had to teach myself to like it over time, each small bits here and there, burying it in other foods that I liked, lots of spices so I wouldn't taste the fish taste.

Now, a few years later, I like fish more than any other protein. Absolutely love it.

There are a lot of fad diets out there with varying results, but the one thing that pretty much the entire world agrees on is that vegetables are absolutely vital for your health. It's very much worth developing a taste for them, and it may take some time. As you develop the taste, make sure to pair them with your favorite foods. Your taste will develop quickly.

Anyway, learn some good recipes. One thing you can do is try chunky soups -veggies reduce a lot with cooking, so you can end up getting a lot in there without even noticing. I recently made a sausage based soup that my vegetable-hating boyfriend loved. Here's the recipe:

In a large heavy pot, I sauteed chopped bacon until it was rendered (if I had to make this soup again for myself I would skip the bacon and just use a light oil)
    I removed the bacon pieces and left the fat in the pot. I sauteed onions in it. When they were clear and translucent, I added lamb sausage and alpine sausage. When they were cooked, I set the meat aside in a plate with the bacon, and I added large portions of navy beans, canellini beans, chopped carrots, butternut squash, celery, a bit of sweet potato, and half a head of savoy cabbage. I simmered for one hour, and then added the meat back in.

When I served the soup, I filled the bowl with thinly chopped black kale. Then i ladled the soup over it, and it wilted with the hot soup and reduced into the soup.

Each bowl of this was jam packed with vegetables, but it had the sausage taste, too. Each very large bowl had 260 calories and 20 grams of protein, too.

Soups are generally a great way to go to get lots of veggies because you can layer lots of flavors before adding the vegetables.