psycological tools

Options
ive been using my fitness pal for about 10 days now and i think its one of the most excellent tools for recording weight loss, nutrition, fitness, goals and knowing there are other users on the same boat willing to encourage each other gives practical help. but im wondering if there are any psychological "tools" you use along the journey? things like diaries or visual reinforcements that help you to succeed? id love to hear what some other people do

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm huge into goal setting and also like journaling. (When I read about SMART goals I realized it was pretty similar to some of the things I'd been doing naturally.)

With weight loss, things that helped me psychologically was approaching it as a serious of changes, analyzing what was working and what I was struggling with, and setting long and short term goals and process goals.

For example, one issue I have is thinking that one particular food decision matters. So for me (not everyone) it helps to aim for a specific goal with a time in mind (I know I won't get derailed if I don't totally hit it or have to change it). That allowed me to think "if I keep up with this by next October when I'm doing X (to make it seem really real) I will be able to wear some outfit or be down a certain amount of lbs," stuff like that.

But it is also important to have shorter term goals, so I'll set something really foreseeable and make sure a lot of the short term goals are process goals (things you control, like "I will work out 3 times this week" or "I will eat vegetables at all meals" or "I will hit my calorie goal." When I do that I feel satisfaction hitting each little goal (even just closing out my diary on target each day or every day for a week) and that really helped.

Motivational goals based on DOING things have always helped me too -- training for a race or other things that require work. Strength goals to some extent, but I have less of a sense of how fast improvement can be made, so that's harder for me.

I used the journal for, among other things, working on emotional eating (when I wanted to eat I forced myself to write about it first), and doing a brief overview of the day to see what worked, what I needed to work on. I also tried things, but wasn't necessarily super attached to them -- I learned that for me snacking makes it harder, so I still to 3 main meals, that being tired makes it harder (so now I know to anticipate that and if hungry I try having coffee or just telling myself it's mental).

Just a few thoughts -- I do think this is an interesting topic and am curious what others say.

Oh, another thing that I think a lot of people would disagree with but I found helpful: I had a stack of jeans of the same brand (one I like, not that expensive) in different sizes. Fitting into the next pair down always felt like a reward.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I use cognitive/behavioral techniques to deal with sabotaging thoughts and behaviors. This helped me manage alcohol, as well as food.

This book on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for overeating was available in my library system, so perhaps yours as well.

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)
  • lindscro2
    lindscro2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new myself, but I typically keep a diary just laying it all out there. If I have a craving for something I shouldn't have, I will put it in there and my feelings about it, including WHY I want it, what I could have or do instead, and how I felt once I resisted it (always good once the initial craving has passed!). This helps me when I get another craving by allowing me to go back and read the end result, which is pride most of the time.

Also, I like to look at old pictures of myself when I was healthier and think about what I will do when I get to that point again.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I use mantras. Especially when I don't feel like working out. My avitar is one of my go to's.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I got a Jawbone (activity tracker) in October; I switched to Fitbit Charge 2 a few days ago (the band on the Jawbone wore out, and their customer service is nonexistent). If you don't use it, it's an expensive paperweight; that said, I seeing my step, distance, floor, active time, and calorie burn goals each morning, and finding ways to hit those. I lost about 10 pounds in the two months I had the Jawbone, thanks to increasing my activity to hit my step goals, and I am even more active with the Fitbit, as it gives me more goals to hit each day.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Get yourself around as many people as possible who are trying to lose weight.

I would also get some sort of activity monitor that syncs with MFP. I have a Fitbit One, and there's a graph that shows calories in vs calories out. As long as I consume less than I burn, I lose weight.

It also helps if what I'm eating is "quality". The better quality of food you have, the more of it you can have. Things like Pasta Fagiole soup (like an Italian chili), sirloin steak's, green beans, tomatoes, grilled chicken, etc.

One other thing I do is I have a dorm fridge in my laundry room with water, yogurt, cheese, apples, etc and a "snack box" next to it with 100-ish calorie snacks in it - pretzels, Jif-to-go, protein/fiber bars, peanut butter crackers....etc. That way I have a safe zone to get a snack and don't have to go to the kitchen where all the other stuff is.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I kept some of my old skinny clothes around, and made it my goal to fit into them. Doing so is incredibly satisfying. So is getting rid of my fat clothes.
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    i forgot one main one!

i try to keep up with the "photos only success stories" and the "non-scale victories" threads on here when i'm feeling discouraged.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1167854/photo-only-success-stories#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1275030/whats-your-most-recent-nsv#latest

Second this!

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Some things I've used effectively are goal setting, mantras or self-talk, visualization (imagining my craving as sort of a monster and picturing me bigger than it and able to defeat it), and the ability to empty my mind while doing cardio and focus on problems I'm having so I can work on and analyze them. I don't journal, but I solve a lot of the world's problems when I'm running. Those problems include those I encounter while dieting.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Habits, attitude and environment go hand in hand.
    I plan my meals and aim to eat 3 or 4 regular meals every day. I wait until I'm hungry before I eat.
    I shop with a list.
    I only buy food I intend to eat.
    I cook a lot from scratch.
    I only eat food I like.
    I use "the hunger scale".
    I have short term behavior goals and long term result goals.
    I weigh myself every day, record it, once a week I calculate the week's average, and take action if the numbers are trending towards the upper part of my goal weight.
    I use mantras like "I can eat anything I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time", "I choose food I can eat to satiety", "food should taste good, but not too good", etc.
    I think of myself as a normal weight person who does "normal weight things" - I move every day, I don't eat continuously, I don't eat after I'm full, I don't eat just to eat.
    I actively tune out negative thoughts - like worry about not eating "healthy" enough or not getting "enough" exercise.
    I aim to get enough sleep.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I only use one psychological tool. I told myfitnesspal in my Settings that I wanted to lose 0.5 lb per week. It gives me a calorie target of 2130. I eat far less than that because in fact I want to lose 1 or 2 pounds per week. However, letting mfp display that "2130" gives me cushion to go substantially over my aggressive calorie goals from time to time without facing the red numbers of failure.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I read once to keep a list of non food related rewards for each goal you meet, but to keep the goals small. So I set goals at 5-10lbs intervals and ranged the rewards in value from thing like buying new uderweat that fits better (a bit ridiculous I know) to getting a pedicure , new jeans, etc. Ultimately I'd like to get a fitness related photo shoot done when I hit my goal weight - just so that I have proof that I did it! Lol. (I've been in shape before but have no pics! I find seeing myself look fit helps keep me motivated)

Also saw on Pinterest the idea to visually resent weight loss in some way. Maybe having two jars - one with a marble for each lb you want to lose and the other jar for lbs lost. Yhen each week when you weigh in, you move thr marbles over. It helps to keep track of how far you've come. I keep it somewhere I see it regularly.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I print out inspiring quotes and post them around my work area where I see them and think about them all the time.
    I've kept a journal since the beginning. I use a sturdy sketchbook. I put anything in it--weigh ins, progress pics, event pics, comments from others, fitness accomplishments, etc. Whatever inspires me. This has been key to reminding me of where I've come and the amount of progres Ive made. I love looking back through it. I honestly believe that having this willl help keep me on track during maintenance because I will never forget where I started and the progress I've made. If you prefer,, you could keep something similar digitally.