StrongLifts 5x5

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I started back to lifting four years ago with Starting Strength which is similar, but in a 3x5 format which I found to work better for me when I was dieting. I ran it for about 6 months before switching over to 5/3/1.

My biggest issue was that with squatting 3x per week and deadlifting 1-2x per week, my legs were shot for much of anything else and I wanted more out of my fitness than just being able to squat a lot of weight. I did 5/3/1 for awhile and then met my trainer who is also a cycling coach and I lift now primarily in support of and to cross train my cycling.

I was 38 when I started...42 now.
  • stan9280
    stan9280 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I did SL 5x5 for about 6 months last year when starting out. The gains were great but the plateau hit and I had to change it up. I still subscribe to the lower rep/higher weight philosophy and have added some bicep and back work to my workouts. The squats 3x per week were a killer at the beginning but my legs got stronger and way more defined! I got stronger and saw the difference in my legs, shoulders, arms and chest.
    I'm 47 and would recommend SL 5x5, along with proper nutrition, if you're looking for a place to start.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stronglifts is just a rip off of starting strength. You'll probably stall quick on SL by eating at maintenance. Also doing 5x5 is going to make you lift less weight on your sets than 3x5 would. If you want to get strong as fast as possible then do Starting Strength. It's the gold standard for linear progression. There are also starting strength coaches all over the US as well as online if you really want to nail down the mechanics of the program.

Also keep in mind that these programs are for beginning strength athletes, not aesthetics. If you care about aesthetics then you will probably want a different program or to add a little bit of assistant exercises on your off days. Mainly if you're on one of these Strength programs for a long period of time you'll start to see that your upper chest, arms, abs and calves will be under developed in comparison with the rest.
  • cogirljb
    cogirljb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've used it for several months now and am completely amazed at the strength I have added!!! I have also added a few of the add on lifts the app has, in the last month month or so, absolutely love it!!!
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Never been stronger than I was when doing 5x5 or 5x3, despite them being beginner programs. They are great for keeping you focused on strength and gains-- something i lost once I moved to routines focused on periodization, etc.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Will be starting SL5x5 next week, I'd like to know other than strength did you notice any changes to your bodies, like firming up?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Madux1818 wrote: »
    Will be starting SL5x5 next week, I'd like to know other than strength did you notice any changes to your bodies, like firming up?

No guarantees but, if you are eating at a caloric deficit on a high protein diet and are working out 3x's/wk per the program, you should lose weight (mainly fat) and should see some muscle toning w/in 3-4 months which should become more noticable as you begin to lift heavier weights until you plateau at around 6 months.

From there on, you will need to change to an Intermediate program in order to see further strength gains and corresponding physical changes.

Good luck!
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

57d91ed96c6166ede4c687a425153f196335.jpg
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I think a lot can be said for the diversity of training in this thread. One aspect that gets overlooked is what is best for you personally. But one most important ascpect is consistency. Whatever programs you pick stick to them.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

57d91ed96c6166ede4c687a425153f196335.jpg

Wowza! Hot hot hot!

• robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you.