Has Anyone tried Jenny Craig

Options
I'm looking for feed back about Jenny Craig and I was wondering if anyone has tried there program I have a meeting with them on Monday I'm looking for other ways to help with my weight loss goals that I would like to meet by the end of the year.Please feel free to add me as a friend or message me as well.

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    No. The meals look gross.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    No. The meals look gross.

Yep. I really considered it once and then looked at the meals online. You would think they would have a better marketing person who could at least make the photos look like their food is edible and slightly appealing.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    i tried it about 15 years ago and it was just too expensive for me at the time...i did it for about 3 months and i dont recall having an issue with the food at all. i found the people supportive, however i didnt learn portion control or anything as it was all prepackaged and preplanned meals for me. Again, this was a LONG time ago, not sure how it works now.
  • CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Expensive processed foods. Eat real, healthy foods in moderation and within your calorie count. You don't need to pay for a program to lose weight.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I haven't but know several people who have and lost weight then gained it all back plus some. You can diet on your own and build a program that fits your needs without spending all that money. Plus you can create a diet that you can LIVE with.
  • aka62792
    aka62792 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for feed back about Jenny Craig and I was wondering if anyone has tried there program I have a meeting with them on Monday I'm looking for other ways to help with my weight loss goals that I would like to meet by the end of the year.Please feel free to add me as a friend or message me as well.

• aka62792
    aka62792 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I did try Jenny Craig and I would say NO, DO NOT GO THERE. The main aim of this company, is to put you in Bankruptcy. Food is AWFUL and is not included in Membership. If you need a little extra, I have 2 Friends who did VERY well with Atkins. Good Luck !
  • Athomemermaid
    Athomemermaid Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I tried it about a year and 3 mths ago. I did for only a month. It was crazy expensive having to buy their food then fruit veges dairy etc on top of that + my partners foods. Cooking the meals was easy but then seeing my partner eat nicer food was hard! Some meals were yum and some were terrible. I think the breakfast was usually best. I lost some weight but then I found mfp.

It was a good starting point for me to see how much one should really eat + I've still got their menu plans etc so if I'm feeling like things arnt working out I do refer back to them.

I suggest using mfp.. it's free, loads of knowledge here + yum recipes.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Jenny Craig for a few months. I'm finding my problems just followed me there. The food is very expensive ($150/week) and is ok tasting. I don't really care about the taste so much, I just need something to stuff in the hole. But it is just as easy to cheat on JC as it is on any other diet.

The best part is having to weigh in front of someone each week. A couple of the counselors have been helpful a few times, but mostly they don't do much. The couple of times I got a good one, it did help. Having someone to review your upcoming week with you and come up with strategies is helpful for sure.

But in the end, if you go off plan, you're off plan, be it JC, WW, MFP, or whatever.
  • KBKomar
    KBKomar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have had wonderful success with Jenny Craig! I began the first week of Nov. and am 1.8 lbs from my goal which was 20 lbs. I've tried WW, Nutrisystem, even Medifast. The weight started off , I'd hit a plateau, then gain it all back pluse some extra lbs. Jenny Craig has finally been the recipe I need. I truly like the food and am excited to not have to cook, just add my favorite veggies and fruit to the meals. My consultant is fabulous and is a wealth of knowledge. She is encouraging while also being a realist. The goal is to substitute my own meal prep little by little while maintaining my new weight. Yes it is expensive ($140 each week) but if I add up all the other programs that I've failed at.... it is more than worth how I feel getting this weight off in a healthy way and keeping the scales going down while beginning to cook again for myself.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It works if you follow it because it creates a calorie deficit. Of course you can do that on your own and learn how to actually maintain your weight loss if you just use the tools on this site.

The problem with these programs, aside from the cost, is that you get used to just heating up their pre-packaged foods and don't really learn what to do when you hit your goal. This is by design of course, because once you start gaining again you'll remember how easy and fun Jenny Craig was.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I haven't but know several people who have and lost weight then gained it all back plus some. You can diet on your own and build a program that fits your needs without spending all that money. Plus you can create a diet that you can LIVE with.

This^

Learn good eating habits. Build your own program and it will help you keep the weight off.

If you do meet with them ask about your maintenance strategy. You need a plan in place before you get to goal.
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I did it for a long time because back in the day I paid for a lifetime platinum membership. So I have been on and off with it. Last time I did it was about 5 years ago and I lost about 28 pounds in 3 months. I didn't find the food to be that bad. The pros are that you don't have to think about cooking or what you are going to eat. The cons in my opinion outweigh the good. They give you a menu that rotates every month so after 1 month you will be eating the same meals over and over. It gets boring quick. It is expensive. It is all processed food that you heat and eat. The menus are all a set number of calories from what I remember 1200 or 1500 per day. If you have a small amount of weight to lose it may be worth it to you. If not I really would think about starting yourself with your TDEE and take it from there.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ds41980 wrote: »
    I did it for a long time because back in the day I paid for a lifetime platinum membership. So I have been on and off with it. Last time I did it was about 5 years ago and I lost about 28 pounds in 3 months. I didn't find the food to be that bad. The pros are that you don't have to think about cooking or what you are going to eat. The cons in my opinion outweigh the good. They give you a menu that rotates every month so after 1 month you will be eating the same meals over and over. It gets boring quick. It is expensive. It is all processed food that you heat and eat. The menus are all a set number of calories from what I remember 1200 or 1500 per day. If you have a small amount of weight to lose it may be worth it to you. If not I really would think about starting yourself with your TDEE and take it from there.

Someone in an earlier thread suggested using a rotation of regular frozen meals instead (Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers). That way you aren't locked into a subscription if you really hate the food.
  • GeorgiePie88
    GeorgiePie88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law has been on it for a few months and looks great. She does note, however, that it's quite low in protein. She says it works for her because she hates cooking, so it's her way of eating healthy-ish meals without having to cook. It basically replaces your grocery bill, which is expensive anyway (at least in New Zealand).

I personally wouldn't go on it because I love to cook too much and I'm trying to learn how to plan meals in a healthy way (that is sustainable). But what doesn't work for some may work for others - to each their own.

In other words, if you hate cooking and your weekly grocery-shop is already expensive (as it is in many countries), it could work for some people.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Wife did that a while back. Food was expensive and it tasted like cardboard. She lost weight, then quit buying expensive, bad tasting food and gained it back.

We've both been maintaining for 15 months after dropping 55 pounds apiece, eating food we make from the grocery store.
  • amyb108
    amyb108 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started, and as fast as I started, I am done. I stupidly bought 3 weeks of food. Some is Ok, most is blah. I will keep the food around the house for lunches at work, but I signed up with them and curves, and Monday I am going to tell the "counselor" that I am not buying anymore food. It is expensive, and I don't have time to add a salad, veggies and so on. I can make healthy food, I just have to do it. I would say count calories, and exercise and leave Jenny Craig alone! The deserts are yummy though!