I Think I've Fallen and I Cant Get Up

Options
I have fallen off the wagon. I have been under stress the last couple of weeks and have resorted to the dreaded stress eating and indulging in a few more adult beverages than I normally would. Yesterday I just flat out didn't care what I ate. It wasn't like a binge feeling, just didn't give a fluck about calories or logging or any of it. The food part actually wasn't terrible once I logged it (the alcohol not so much). MAN! Where has my control and motivation gone!!! I don't want to gain back the weight I've lost and I want to meet my goal! MUST.GET.UP. The struggle is real folks.

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It was only a day. Dust yourself off and start again. Find strategies to deal with the stress besides eating. Also mix hard alcohol and diet soda.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I try to walk off my stress or take my emotions out on my weights or getting physical in some way vs eating. 2016 was an extremely stressful year- But I knew losing my progress or gaining wasnt going to make me feel any better.

Mind

Matter

<3 Live to fight another day.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It really is a decision. Once you are really ready to make a change, you'll make it. It's hard not to listen to the kid in you (for me, it's the food addict in me) that wants what they want when they want it and that's right now. Addict doesn't care what I eat or when I eat it as long as it's GOOD.

Usually once I decide to log EVERYthing - good, bad, or ugly - that helps a lot. There are days when I fall off the wagon big. Sometimes I log it, sometimes I don't - but the fact of the matter is - I'm human, I'm going to stumble and fall. If I can control the fall, great. If I can't, so be it. Once it's over - move on. No beating myself up about how bad the fall was. It's in the past. Nothing I can do about it, but move on.

FOr what it's worth...
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    You've pushed your life alert button and here we are:).

Only thing you can do it get back on track. IF you didn't go too overboard you can always deduct 100 calories for a few days to make it up.

Learn from your mistake i.e. how you handle a stressful situation and what could help next time not go off the rails.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its a day.

its called life.

one day is not falling off the wagon.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You CAN do this. Get on up, right now!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    cebreisch wrote: »
    It really is a decision. Once you are really ready to make a change, you'll make it. It's hard not to listen to the kid in you (for me, it's the food addict in me) that wants what they want when they want it and that's right now. Addict doesn't care what I eat or when I eat it as long as it's GOOD.

Usually once I decide to log EVERYthing - good, bad, or ugly - that helps a lot. There are days when I fall off the wagon big. Sometimes I log it, sometimes I don't - but the fact of the matter is - I'm human, I'm going to stumble and fall. If I can control the fall, great. If I can't, so be it. Once it's over - move on. No beating myself up about how bad the fall was. It's in the past. Nothing I can do about it, but move on.

FOr what it's worth...

Great post
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel like this but I think you are striving for perfection.

It's admirable but likely to make you feel terribly miserable and a failure for not meeting unrealistic standards. Stepping away from this all or nothing approach could give you peace and insight.

If you struggle with controlling your intake due to emotional stress then get help from counseling or do whatever you can to relieve yourself of the burden and start having a more rational and healthy relationship with food.

In the case of weight loss goals, this is terribly important, as the disordered relationship with food bleeds over into all or nothing behaviour around dieting.

IMO nothing good comes from this as the desire for perfection. Those with the highest of expectations confined within rigid guidelines of Good V's Bad (around food or behaviour) are going to be the ones who suffer with guilt, yo-yoing and fallling off the wagon.

Please don't be so hard on yourself. It's not the end of the World.
    I wish you all the best.
  • sksaustin
    sksaustin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the original post and all the responses -- I had an unusually bad day yesterday myself, and needed to know that I'm not the only one, and all the responses reminded me that mistakes are a human characteristic. I will take the advise to pick myself up and move on.
  • Walkergirl74
    Walkergirl74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing today. I ate fast food for the first time in 11 days and it tasted awful- but I ate it. I also drank a diet soda- it tasted like chemicals. I have eaten fast food daily and drank 2-3 diet sodas a day for the last year. I will start a new day tomorrow and remember that my splurge wasn't so satisfying.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have fallen off the wagon. I have been under stress the last couple of weeks and have resorted to the dreaded stress eating and indulging in a few more adult beverages than I normally would. Yesterday I just flat out didn't care what I ate. It wasn't like a binge feeling, just didn't give a fluck about calories or logging or any of it. The food part actually wasn't terrible once I logged it (the alcohol not so much). MAN! Where has my control and motivation gone!!! I don't want to gain back the weight I've lost and I want to meet my goal! MUST.GET.UP. The struggle is real folks.

I always find I need to allow myself to blow out every now and then.

Trying to get perfect adherence every single day? Sometimes you dont see it coming but it just grinds me down.

Its not that often I feel like indulging, or think "*kitten* it - Ill just have what I want" so when I get that urge I tend to indulge it.

Then I make sure afterwards Im back on plan. Thats the key.

This isnt supposed to be a diet, rather a lifestyle. So if 95% of the time you are on point, that other 5% really isnt going to ruin anything. And, for me, that 5% makes the other 95% possible.

Dont beat yourself up, just get back on plan and keep on keeping on
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. One day is nothing in the grand scheme of life.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback you guys!

I've been so diligent the last several months. I've logged, I've lost.

We are in the process of buying a house and the stress of it all is wearing on me. I had a talk with myself and refuse to let all the hard work I've put in for months now be ruined. Back at it today!