question for those who workout first thing in the morning...?

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I go to bed around 9:00, up at around 4:30 or 5:00, stretch and foam roll, empty the dish washer and brush my teeth/wash my face/tame my hair and other bathroom essentials, then hit the treadmill or go outside for a run, depending on the weather. All I have is some water before leaving. Come back, shower, and start breakfast for everyone else. I don't eat until much later in the day since I IF. If I'm lifting that day, I do it later in the afternoon.
  • sijaeabc
    sijaeabc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I work out (usually elliptical) right after waking. I usually don't eat until afterward (I get nauseous exercising after eating) but I play it by ear and if I feel particularly starving or worn out I'll take a few swallows of something to tide me over.
  • Bites_2017
    Bites_2017 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I drink water during the night. Sometimes up to 1.5L. I get up at 5:45 and I'm out the door for a run at 6 am. I much prefer cardio after 'fasting'. If I haven't gotten 8 hours of sleep (which I rarely do), I'll go back to bed after showering/drinking water for 2-3 hours, then get up and eat breakfast... it's like the run never even happened!
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Gym opens at 4am, and I try to get there then. I do some sprint intervals on the treadmill then a spin class. Then I lift. I get up early to get it all done before work. I get up around 3ish. Bed around 10pm, but I've always needed less sleep. (I do sleep in on weekends).

Always work out fasted. I have coffee when I get home. Eat something by 8am.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I just sip coffee prior to running in the morning. Food makes my stomach feel gross during my run.

I'm an evening snacker so I never go to bed hungry. It is probably why I can run without any issue in the morning. If I woke up hungry I might feel differently.
  • lun4wub
    lun4wub Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to get up very early to workout and I would do it on an empty stomach. It didn't bother me or cause any problems. And it felt great to get my workout out of the way first thing. I haven't really had to get up very early in a long time. But I have been thinking of getting the habit back.
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Up at 3 am, have a cup of milk with a scoop of protein powder, in the gym 4:00-6:30 am, then home to get ready for work and have breakfast at 7:30 am.
  • slinky_shaz
    slinky_shaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    you guys are inspiring! thank you.

i've worked out in the evening every night this week but finally got my *kitten* up this morning! i've had a quick small coffee and am about to hit it!
  • slinky_shaz
    slinky_shaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    sorry to bump this thread up again but i just wanted to thank all of you who inspired me to actually switch my workouts from evenings to first thing in the morning.
    i'm on my second week and i'm LOVING it!!

it's transformed my days so much! the thought of going back to night time works outs is just..... err no!!
    i'm happier, bouncier and have gained time in my evenings to be with my new husband. we got so used to me exercising at night, this new time is amazing!

thank you!!! ☕️
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I actually drink most of a cup of coffee before working out in the morning, then eat breakfast after. I feel too full working out on a full stomach.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    In the mornings, I go for a run without eating or drinking anything, and after peeing (this works best for me as after 4 kids running is dicey with anything in my bladder). Not back up to distance yet but never more than 5 miles even when I am. That is at 5 or 5:30, then home and stretch and get ready for work.

Other things, that don't involve bouncing - yoga or lifting - I do in the evening or late morning if it's a day off because I am stronger at those times of day. Tried the early morning yoga class but it left me groggy - running or Jazzercise, both of those are great for me for getting more energy for the day. There is a 5:30am jazzercise class, I loved that for waking up, but it's just too far out in the suburbs and my $ are going to the yoga right now.

So hooray for cardio in the morning, fasted.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I swim first thing on empty stomach, then have breakfast after - kudos to all you 'up at 4am' crew! I thought I got up early at 6:10am, in pool by 6:50, swim til 7:40 generally then jacuzzi, shower and breakfast, before work at 9am. But don't think I would even be able to move at 4am!!

but yeah, cardio before anything is ace!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:15. Shake at 4:20. In the pool swimming 4 miles at 5:05.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    I swim first thing on empty stomach, then have breakfast after - kudos to all you 'up at 4am' crew! I thought I got up early at 6:10am, in pool by 6:50, swim til 7:40 generally then jacuzzi, shower and breakfast, before work at 9am. But don't think I would even be able to move at 4am!!

but yeah, cardio before anything is ace!

Shake before swim. 3 hard boiled eggs at the office when I get there.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 5:30 to work out and all I have is some coffee. I have zero appetite that early.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    After 6 hrs of sleep, I'm up at 5:30, workout from 6-7, protein shake, shower, breakfast, work by 8.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I get up 5:20am to work out. I don't eat before, or directly after. Drink water during my workout if I feel the need. Eat breakfast around 10 or so.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Up at 430, at the gym from 5-6. No food or drink except water or coffee until a few hours after I'm done. I prefer it that way. It makes me nauseated to work out with food in my stomach.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 4.15.
    Up and dressed and teeth brushed
    At the gym by 4.30
    5min run on the dreadmill
    45-60 minutes of Strength training (5x5)
    Shower and dressed for work.
    Start working at 6am.
    First break is at 9.30 which is when I have something to eat
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Yay good luck with your morning workout! I definitely believe it's personal preference so whatever works for you is awesome. I drink a couple glasses of water, then run or hike, and when I get home I make break fast :) almost always eggs with bell peppers, yogurt and a banana. . . So no I don't eat before working out. . .ever, but always after!