Quinoa - best way of cooking it

Options
wedjul05
wedjul05 Posts: 472
I've had it a few times now but the last time turned me riight off it to be honest. I made it too stodgey and the thoughts of eating it again! But the times before that, I loved it. Have a bag in the fridge and want to get back to eating it.

So any tips on cooking it? Anyone got any nice recipes for it?

Replies

• pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Are you rinsing it before you cook it? You have to rinse it or it will be bitter!!
    Instead of water cook it in chicken or vegetable broth then toss with fresh chopped parsely or other fresh herbs.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Probably not the healthiest thing to do... but my housemates and I love quinoa lasagna. Cook the quinoa. Mix with spagetti sauce/vegetables/cottage or ricotta cheese. Put in pan. Top with mozzerella. Bake til hot. SO SO GOOD!
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Make sure you wash your quinoa......put in a bowl and swish, swish with water and then put in a fine strainer and drain rinsing until the water runs clear. Put 2 cups of water and 1 cup of well rinsed quinoa into a pot and bring to a full boil. Put a lid on the pot and turn off heat.......leave for 30 minutes. Makes a yummy fluffy pot of quinoa......which you can do countless things with.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I made Quinoa for the first time the other night. I cooked it in Vegetable Broth with mushrooms, carrots, and onions. Came out pretty tasty!
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just about any recipe that calls for rice can use quinoa as a substitute.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite quinoa recipes:

yield: Serves 4 to 6 as an entrée or 8 as a side dish
    Quinoa, though technically a seed in the herb category, has traditionally been considered a valuable member of the grain family. A sacred source of... more ›
    Ingredients

1 1/2 cups quinoa (small disk-shaped seeds)*
    1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed if canned
    1 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
    1 1/2 cups cooked corn (cut from about 2 large ears)
    3/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
    2 pickled jalapeño chilies, seeded and minced (wear rubber gloves)
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander

For dressing

5 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste
    1/3 cup olive oil

*available at specialty foods shops and natural foods stores

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Quinoa-and-Black-Bean-Salad-12245#ixzz1S7BvdR4u
  • scottppa
    scottppa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    We get the quinoa you don't have to rinse and we have an inexpensive rice cooker. 2:1 water:quinoa ratio, cooks up quick! We add garlic powder and parmesan cheese and it tastes great as a side. We also like adding golden raisins, parsley, and toasted pine nuts -- we found that recipe in a book called "Cook This, Not That!"
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    We get the quinoa you don't have to rinse and we have an inexpensive rice cooker. 2:1 water:quinoa ratio, cooks up quick! We add garlic powder and parmesan cheese and it tastes great as a side. We also like adding golden raisins, parsley, and toasted pine nuts -- we found that recipe in a book called "Cook This, Not That!"

We also have a cheap (but great rice cooker). Will try it out in that so. Like the sound of the goldne raising and toasted pine nuts thru it.

Like the recipe for mango and black beans too. Suppose the possibilites are endless really and what dressing you use are endless too.

Will have to print some recipes out so and add to my cookbook. thanks all
  • Demoneia
    Demoneia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Recently I found a quinoa cookbook, with over 300 recipes! Did you know you can make cake with quinoa? The book is called "Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood" by Patricia Green, and Carolyn Hemming. It goes for about $18 on Amazon. I'd really recommend this book if you are planning on cooking this great grain.
  • Heather3186
    Options
    saving for later, thanks for all the info!