Rest days/Listening to your body

Options
Hi all,

So this morning I got up at 3 as usual to do my exercise routine (an hour of exercise bike complimented with some kettlebell stuff), then I normally run to the station the long way (about 3km) and then get off a few stops earlier than I need to for another jog to the office (just under 5k). Then I walk a ton more the rest of the day, easily rack up over 30k steps a day.

But the last couple days have been a slog, I haven't had a rest where I do nothing for months now and today my legs just feel heavier than they did yesterday so I got off the bike after 10 mins of poor peddling. I'm thinking instead of jogging just walk it to the station etc. Problem is, I haven't done this before and am worried now that I won't be able to eat as much today as I haven't 'earnt' any extra calories despite most likely still being able to get at least 10k steps today.

So my question is: Do you guys take rest days and when do you know if your body is "lying" to you? As in you can push on but your body/mind is saying 'just relax today, do nothing' without it becoming a regular thing?

For the record, I am a male, mid 20s weighing 57kg.

Thanks

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    yup, i take rest days. they almost always worry me while i'm doign it, and i almost always find myself stronger when i do go back. they're worth it, especially when i find myself getting into that what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-me fog.

will power is overrated, if you ask me . . . or at least, it's only as good as the ways you use it. there's nothing actually beneficial about driving yourself into the ground.
  • ishmallow
    ishmallow Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you're just not feeling it and that's OK. You don't want to injure yourself now do ya??

Try to find the source if you can, it might not just be your routine but sleep, energy levels, etc. I used to have some off days in the gym but since preparing with pre workout snacks I take to work ( meal -> trail mix -> fruits ), plenty of water, and a pre workout energy drink I've been feeling like a beast.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Rest days are pretty important for peak performance, imho. Gosh, if I worked out hard 7 days a week I'm almost sure I'd be too tired all the time to really get all that I could out of a workout which doesn't work out in your favor in the long run. Take a day, maybe two, and schedule in a rest day every week. That way you still have the discipline but are letting yourself rest.
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I am just worried that I'm not pushing through like j used to/making up excuses to do less and that will become the norm - of course will try to make it not be the case.

Another question, how do your appetite's fare on days off? Hungrier/same/less hungry? That's myvother concern that I won't be able to control my intake. Doing the extreme cardio I did daily I could eat anything but wouldn't till the evening where I would have a meal for 4 people in 1 go. I'd like to think less exercise in the morning = less hungry but is that too simplistic?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    miratps wrote: »
    Problem is, I haven't done this before and am worried now that I won't be able to eat as much today as I haven't 'earnt' any extra calories despite most likely still being able to get at least 10k steps today.

Thanks

You're not trying to lose weight, are you?

• miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    miratps wrote: »
    Problem is, I haven't done this before and am worried now that I won't be able to eat as much today as I haven't 'earnt' any extra calories despite most likely still being able to get at least 10k steps today.

Thanks

You're not trying to lose weight, are you?

No, maintain. I know technically I should be at a higher weight but I fear that will be a slippery slope for me to going back up to a large weight.

I've got into a habit of:

Crazy amounts of exercise in the morning (poor jogging) AND day (hours of walking during the day)
    Eating a ton at night so I'm fueled for the morning

It's stupid I know and something had to break to get out the cycle but wanted to do it on my terms, not my body/mind either packing it in for me or playing tricks on me.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I normally take a rest day every week, plus a day where I still work out but at less intensity. I neglected to rest over the holidays, only Xmas day off, & it has caught up with me; knees are quite sore, & a head cold is trying to take hold. Had to leave gym early on Tues due to a family emergency so didn't complete workout, took yesterday 100% off, just nursed myself a bit. Feeling better this morning, will see if I feel good enough to go to my normal Thursday routine. I will add that stress levels have been very high last week to 10 days (huge spate of burglaries & property damage in neighbourhood) & I'm sure that works on me too.
    I'm maintaining as well, on rest days I still weigh measure & track as normal. I don't go crazy on treats, but I do enjoy my life. Take it easy on yourself...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how many cals do you eat per day? generally there isnt such thing as over exercising, its under fueling that is the problem.

that being said, given your exercise routine, i would have 1 day a week where i just walked/ran to work, without all the additional exercise first.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm currently signed up to a daily exercise challenge. But I have set myself a minimum target for the challenge, which is a ten minute walk. That's my rest day. I will have one or two of those a week, but I end up doing doubles during the week just because my hobbies are energetic (dancing)
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Your body won't play tricks it's learning to read the signals. Presuming you eat evenly through the day so you have no really high of energy then a few hours later no energy you're probably not that far off. Simply measuring your weight and tracking it will give you a good idea if you need to up the amount or decrease. Some people measure everything they eat exactly I personally don't and have being between 65 to 73 kg since leaving school. When trainin I eat more as I'm hungry and need the fuel and when I have it easy Im not as hungry so do t eat as much. Food is to be enjoyed in moderation. Always remember you can easily increase or decrease the amount you eat
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have at least two rest days a week normally Tues and Fri but I still walk at least 2.5 miles on those days (as that's my commute for work). I think there's a difference between your body hurting and your mind just trying to convince you not to go out so I try to listen to my body rather than my head! If I can feel a niggle somewhere (usually in my legs) or sore after a race but it's a planned exercise day, I will normally just try and go at a slower pace or do a bit less distance or if it's an actual concern I will totally rest that day and maybe see how I feel the next day. There is no sense in continually pushing your body every single day. Having said that I do think it's good to push your limits on some days i.e. try to get to work a little bit quicker than yesterday if your legs are feeling good!

In response to your hunger question, I actually feel less hungry after exercise so I try to eat about the same every day but maybe have a snack like a banana or some nuts before a run. I found it much easier to stick to calorie intake once I started looking at my calories over a week i.e. one day I might be 300 under and the next day I would be 300 over but it balances out.

I would agree with TavistockToad that maybe you could just walk to work on one of the days without the pre-exercise.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 rest days a week then when I'm really struggling to get the sessions done I will be ready for a recovery week of having easy sessions. Which aids the recovery process. Doing nothing can be wrong. What you want is to get the blood pumping around the body flush out any toxins but feel it's extremely easy
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I don't schedule rest but I take it if needed. If my resting HR is increasing, if my performance is suffering, or if I feel like I'm getting sick, I'll take one. If none of these things happen I'll take one anyway every 10 days or so and do some yoga.

I might also take a rest day if life happens and the schedule requires it but this is pretty rare.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Rest, and probably eat more even thought you haven't "earned it". One day of eating some extra calories isn't going to break you, it will most likely help you with recovery. Heck take a couple days off.
    I find it difficult to have off days myself, but when you are experiencing anxiety about missing workouts or not doing enough, that's a bad sign.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Doing 30k steps a day is a lot! That is around 5 hours of exercise (average step/hour is 6000 according to the FitBit site).

Either back of walking/running so far for a while or increase calories.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I rest after leg day, mainly cos I'm sore! but I try to walk around at least, in the week I take 2 days "smoother", I do stuff like dancing or cardio boxing, only on Sunday I do NOTHING, well normal walking of course haha
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    When I finally learned to start taking rest days I stopped getting injuries so often, and I started noticing gains in strength and endurance. I think my first six months with MFP I exercised seven days a week with no rest days. I'd try and alternate walking, weight training, elliptical/cardio, but I never took a break. I was too used to the extra calories I earned each day. At the end I managed to injure myself pretty seriously and was down twice for several weeks. I then cut it back to six days a week and did just fine all of last year, and this year I have cut it down to five days a week. It seems to be a perfect schedule for me at the moment. I'm starting to see muscles grow that weren't before, and I'm starting to notice more strength gains. My suggestion is drop your schedule to include 1-2 days a week rest, you'll thank yourself or it later. If nothing else it gives your muscles time to repair and recover.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion but rest days are part of an overall healthy plan. Not something that exists on the "outside" of it.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important, especially if you are going as intense as you are. I lift 4x a week and I appreciate my rest days because I can come back and do my workout with adequate strength and I am not risking injury.

As for the hunger thing...it's pretty individual. I find I am hungrier on my rest days. My theory is that my body is recovering and wants/needs the food.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not eating a bag of cookies or something a few extra calories should not tip the scale badly on a rest day.