Heat/Sunburn-Related Water Retention

Options
Machka9
Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
Just a little story ... a cautionary tale ...

It's been "summer" here since December 1, but it has been very chilly and rainy with the exception of the occasional day here and there. Last weekend we had our third and fourth days where it actually felt like summer. The temperature got up into the high 20s!!

So I spent some time on the local beach on Saturday and some time cycling and generally quite a bit of time outside enjoying the heat.

Sunday morning, I stepped on the scale ... and I had gained 2 kg!!

I knew I had eaten a bit more than usual on Friday and Saturday, but maybe only 500 cal/day over maintenance. That's not enough for a 2 kg gain!

It was my husband who suggested it was probably water retention, and said that he noticed the same thing. He works outdoors and if a day has been warm, he says he gains a bit of weight. As soon as it gets cool again, he loses it.

Sunday was hot again and of course I spent time outside ... and Monday morning, I was the same weight. Still 2 kg up. And Tuesday morning again.

But in the last 2 days, all of a sudden I've lost about 1.5 kg. Coincidentally, my sunburn has also eased off into a tan. :)

It's a reminder that all sorts of things do affect our weight loss, and that water retention can get you when you least expect it.

Flights
Salt
Female cycles
Heat/sunburn

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I always know that vacation will do that to me...heat and flights are both bloat inducers! I'm envious of your summer weather! winter here...snow and rain!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing but yes, it makes sense that the scale would reflect the heat as well as all the other things that factor in to it fluctuating.

It never ceases to amaze me why and how spikes in weight happens and I've been in maintenance for several years. We went out for my sons birthday at the weekend, I ate a lot of meat, much more than usual as it was a mixed grill (lamb cutlet/steak/chicken/bacon/pork - small portions of each but still a LOT of meat)... the scale reflected that for 6 days! it must have really replenished my glycogen stores LOL (I knew I'd only gone over maintenance cals by 500 on that day)
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    A sunburn for sure affects weight. I had a burn on my legs this past summer and was up about 3 pounds until the burn subsided. It's not surprising; my sunburns tend to feel a little swollen, so it makes sense that it adds water weight.
  • Machka9
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I always know that vacation will do that to me...heat and flights are both bloat inducers! I'm envious of your summer weather! winter here...snow and rain!

Well ... we haven't had much of a summer, nor are we likely to. Cool and rainy again today. But that's how I ended up sunburned ... I forgot all about sunscreen on one of the rare nice days. Haven't used it since a trip to Queensland last April!

Anyway, happily, the water weight is still dropping off.

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Hehe, did Tassie finally get summer? I'm sorry to hear you got sunburnt, I know it can be hard when it's not really hot most of the time and it catches you unawares. I'm usually pretty careful but got a bit sunburnt when I had a few hours off in Sydney after work recently and it was hot outside when I'd been inside all week.
    We will be having another hot weekend in WA again, I'd happily send you a few degrees from here once it gets over 35c or so :)
    And interesting to note that link to retaining more water - I know I'm certainly more puffy in my feet and fingers when it's hot anyway so it might have been to do with the increased temp too.
  • Machka9
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Hehe, did Tassie finally get summer?

Yes ... for 2 whole days in a row! :)