Healthy Diet But No Progress One Month In

Options
2»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    " I've been trying to eat healthy lately (yes I've had a few slip ups) but I am not losing weight. "

There is your answer. A sensible calorie deficit at your size is 250 calories per day. A few slip ups in a month replenishes all the calories you lost on your few disciplined days and you are altogether eating at maintenance.
    Work on understanding why you slip up. Quantify your slip-ups. Control your slip-ups. Reduce the frequency of your slip-ups. Drink more water and get plenty of sleep. You'll lose weight.

^^ great reply
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. Weigh all solids in grams ("about the size of your palm" could be three ounces, could be six, the world will never know), liquids with measuring spoons. Peanut butter is a solid - weigh it. Try that for a few weeks.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I ate "healthy" and worked out regularly for like 10 months with absolutely no weight loss. It's easy to maintain your weight eating healthy, it takes being in a calorie deficit to actually lose weight!

Start actually weighing and logging all your food and pay attention to your macronutrients too.

Once I started using myfitnesspal to actually track calories (not just track my weight) it actually worked.

Just do it.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    as others said "about the size of your palm" is certainly not a measurement on any scale I've seen...you have no idea how many calories you are eating - start with that.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Just got back from being in vacation, that's why the big blip recently...

But can you see what a difference it makes?? I don't know why I just used myfitnesspal to track my weight and not calories for so long, but I finally started tracking and logging my food and the results started coming immediately! When you don't track calories you tend to eat at about maintenance level, even if it's healthy food choices.
  • AGetsFit1
    AGetsFit1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Morning!
    I do not have a food scale so I will go ahead and purchase one when I go out tomorrow. You guys are right, I need to stop giving in to the occasional slip ups (goodbye for now sushi, IHOP, and teriyaki!). I go off of what google tells me is a good portion size, but I'll start measuring.
    Also, overnight I surprisingly lost a pound! It's the first I've lost since I began this journey! I'm so happy right now!
    I think that answered the majority of responses that I've gotten.
  • AGetsFit1
    AGetsFit1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh also I'll start using this app more often. I only started this app like five days ago, so there isn't much history to my account stuff yet
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Morning!
    I do not have a food scale so I will go ahead and purchase one when I go out tomorrow. You guys are right, I need to stop giving in to the occasional slip ups (goodbye for now sushi, IHOP, and teriyaki!). I go off of what google tells me is a good portion size, but I'll start measuring.
    Also, overnight I surprisingly lost a pound! It's the first I've lost since I began this journey! I'm so happy right now!
    I think that answered the majority of responses that I've gotten.

There's nothing wrong with these things but yeah, they can definitely be calorie bombs! I was shocked at how high calorie IHOP was when we went a few months ago-I'd rather have a pizza or something for that chunk of calories :p
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Oh also I'll start using this app more often. I only started this app like five days ago, so there isn't much history to my account stuff yet

Log every meal, every snack, everything (as or before you eat it is best, not after the fact). Enter your stats and set your goals, stay within the calorie goal you are given, get that digital scale.

You don't need to necessarily give up foods you like- that's the beauty of calorie counting you can fit those in if you want to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You think you're eating 1300 - 1400 calories per day...but my guess is that you're not...unless that's your maintenance...if you're maintaining weight, guess what? You're eating maintenance.