Which one is better cardio: jogging or bicycling?

Options
I've really started to dislike and get bored of jogging.

So I've started riding my bike, but i feel like although 20 minutes of moderate bike riding is equal in calories burned to what I was burning while jogging, i feel it might not be doing as good of a job.

So which one should I stick with? should I just go back to jogging?

Replies

• j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I dont think either is better. Whats good is what you enjoy and keeps you motivated. and its always good to change it up sometimes.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Do the one you enjoy and try not to stress too much about how many calories you are burning ;)
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Both...lol
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I dont think either is better. Whats good is what you enjoy and keeps you motivated. and its always good to change it up sometimes.

I totally agree with this... also maybe you could alternate! Neither is better or worse, you may burn more running, but I don't know that either unless you're wearing a HRM... I guess do whatever makes you move! The main thing is to do something!!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Well, i think bicycling is less injurious to the body. Lower impact and all. It always made me feel great. It got me places. I had legs like iron when I biked (middle ear issue... bad balance... had to give it up). Want more of a work out, do a little shopping and add some weight to the return trip.

Have fun I'm so jealous. I miss it.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Which ever one you will do is the better one. That being said jogging you are putting more pressure on your body so you will usually be burng more calories per hour but if you have any issues with your knees bike would be better for you.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options

what she said
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer jogging over biking. I have a hard time believing that you are losing weight while sitting on your butt. I can't stand the people at the gym that sit on the bikes and slowly peddle while reading. But i guess anything is better than nothing!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The one you enjoy and you'll stick with is what's best.

Jogging typically burns more calories. Cycling is lower impact and easier on your joints.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If you don't think biking is burning enough go faster! Or go find some hills. Use a big gear to go up them.
  • kysue1029
    kysue1029 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good to know...thanks for asking!
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I do both. I probably have more of a true passion for cycling, but I also really enjoy the feeling of accomplishment that running gives me. I also believe that at least for me, running is making me a better cyclist. As far as calorie burn, I think that all depends on how long or how fast you go. Yesterday morning I ran a little over 8 miles and burned about 1300 calories. (I am a guy, and I weigh 207 pounds, thus the slightly large amount of burn.) This morning, I rode about 27 miles and burned over 1500 calories. The run was about an hour and a half, the ride was almost two hours. Since I am somewhat of a cycling addict, I get this sort of incredible high a lot when I ride, rolling through cornfields, listening to the wind and the birds, smelling hay fields and honeysuckle, etc. But there are also incredible highs to be had from running. I really would not want to make a choice between one or the other, but again, my personality leans toward the bike. Like another poster suggested, maybe mix it up a little, and whatever you find is your passion, pursue it with gusto, like there is NO TOMORROW! (Even if it is neither biking nor running, but something totally different.) Good luck and good health to ya!
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    Perhaps speed up your cycling or travel on more hills to burn more calories if you feel its too easy?
  • JDucl
    JDucl Posts: 1
    Options
    It really depends on what works for your body and what you like. I personally haven't found any form of cardio that sheds weight, especially around my midsection and gives a flatter tummy, than jogging/running. Whether it's an intense 30 minute run or interval training run or a longer 60 - 90 minute walk/run, it's what works best for me.

Your joints and knees also play a role in what might be better since for some, running can cause achy joints, shin splints and pain in the knees over time. If you try running as a main source of cardio, try to find a better surface other than cement, sidewalk or pavement to run on such as sand, grass or on a treadmill. You'll be less likely to get injured that way.

Biking can also be good, especially if you're really sweating and working hard such as in a spinning class. I think it's all about what you put into your cardio session and how hard you work while doing it that matters.
  • AnaBackwards
    Options
    It really depends on what works for your body and what you like. I personally haven't found any form of cardio that sheds weight, especially around my midsection and gives a flatter tummy, than jogging/running. Whether it's an intense 30 minute run or interval training run or a longer 60 - 90 minute walk/run, it's what works best for me.

Your joints and knees also play a role in what might be better since for some, running can cause achy joints, shin splints and pain in the knees over time. If you try running as a main source of cardio, try to find a better surface other than cement, sidewalk or pavement to run on such as sand, grass or on a treadmill. You'll be less likely to get injured that way.

Biking can also be good, especially if you're really sweating and working hard such as in a spinning class. I think it's all about what you put into your cardio session and how hard you work while doing it that matters.

I think i might like jogging more if i did it on a softer surface, maybe. I just don't have any soft surfaces around here to use. i work out outside instead of at a gym, so it's hard to find a place that accommodates :(
  • AnaBackwards
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I've decided to just alternate in between and every time i get bored of one, i'll just switch :)