Anyone else lost weight on long term steroids

Options
I also have been diagnosed with Addison's Disease with hypothyroidism about 25 years ago (I will be 62 in March). I take 20 mg. Hydrocortisone and .05mg prednisone. I didn't know that some could take one or the other (though I often cut my prednisone to reduce bloating when I eat salty foods).

It is so rare that I haven't ever talked to anyone with Addison's. I have struggled with my weight too-more in the middle than when I was younger but my hips and thighs share it as well. I would love to stay in contact and see if we can support each other in weight loss.

Thanks!

Replies

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I don't have Addisons, but I have SLE, Behcets Disease and Fibro. I've been on long term Prednisone for almost 9 years now. It's awful...and it makes it REALLY HARD to lose...but not impossible. Just don't compare your journey to someone else's is what I've had to learn. It's always going to be much harder for us. But we can definitely do it!
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My 16 year old son has Addisons (and type 1 diabetes). He takes Prednisone and Florinef for Addisons. The steroids he takes are to replace the steroids his adrenal glands do not make. When a non Addisons person takes prednisone they already make enough to survive, they just need extra doses for some other reason. For a person with Addisons, the steroids should get them up to normal and not hinder weight loss. However, my son doesn't need to lose weight so he's never tried.
  • rsprinkle
    rsprinkle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am just now seeing your post. I have had thyroid issues and adrenal issues for 25 yrs. I turn 40 in June and would love to lose the weight I gained w/ my last pregnancy which was 3 years ago!!! I seem to struggle w/ hypoglycemia too at times, what has worked for you in your weight loss journey so far?