P90X or Insanity

Options
Ok, I have options and now I'm confused. Should I start with P90X or Insanity? My first goal is to shred fat and expose my muscles in the next 5.5 weeks (thats my birthday). I was given these workouts from a friend and I don't have the nutritional plan. So I need to make a decision fast so that I can research and learn as much as possible about the recommended diet for either workout.

I hear people losing great inches and lbs within the first 30 days of P90X, would Insanity yield the same results? PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE!!!!!

Replies

• aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    well, a big deciding factor could be these...with p90x, you will need a pullup bar, hand weights, a yoga mat and bands. ...with insanity, you dont need anything but yourself. my husband and i are currently doing the p90x and i without a doubt LOVE it! its the best workout i think i have ever gotten. and my husband is sticking with it more than i am ( 2 toddlers to watch while "working out") and he is slimming down quite a bit and gaining lots of muscle (but hes also using very heavy weights and muscle enhancement vitamins) but all in all, its up to you!
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    P90X and Insanity are different programs with different focus.
    P90X will help you build muscles.
    Insanity is more cardio and intervall training, and therefore will help you shred the fat.
    You have to make the decision what you want. Both programs are great
  • missjaiy
    missjaiy Posts: 58
    Options
    with p90x, you will need a pullup bar, hand weights, a yoga mat and bands. ...with insanity, you dont need anything but yourself.

Awesome testimony! Will I need the pullup bar in the first 30 days?
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried P90x, but I have 2 weeks left on Insanity and I'm loving it!! From what I understand, P90x is more strength; weights, building muscle. Insanity is high intensity cardio. The only weight you use is your own body. I know my upper body has gotten a lot stronger, and my fitness level and endurance are so much higher now. Good luck!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Insanity is cardio based interval training and puts your athletic performance to the test. If your current goal is to lose weight and work on strength later, then I'd suggest Insanity first. All of the strength training routines are all body weight exercises [push-ups, plyometric workouts such as squats, lunges, jump tucks, etc.], so there is no equipment required. P90X can also yield the same results, but it's more geared towards strength training and muscle definition, so resistance bands/weights/pull-up bar are somewhat required to do a lot of the routiens. The nutrition guide isn't required for either, as it's more of a literal guide for those who are confused on how to choose healthier alternatives for their meals.

The one main difference is that with P90X, there are modified moves for those who can't perform specific routines. Insanity pretty much requires you to perform with proper form in order to work the correct muscle groups, though you can take as many breaks as needed in order to maintain performing with proper form. Both are good investments.

If you're still confused, flip a coin, and be happy with whichever one you choose.
  • missjaiy
    Options
    P90X will help you build muscles.
    Insanity is more cardio and intervall training, and therefore will help you shred the fat.
    You have to make the decision what you want. Both programs are great

I want both :~ The Fat Shredder Phase 1 plan sounds like it could do it.. yet the cardio interval training works too...Still confused :(
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    with p90x, you will need a pullup bar, hand weights, a yoga mat and bands. ...with insanity, you dont need anything but yourself.

Awesome testimony! Will I need the pullup bar in the first 30 days?

Yes.
  • missjaiy
    Options
    Insanity is cardio based interval training and puts your athletic performance to the test. If your current goal is to lose weight and work on strength later, then I'd suggest Insanity first. All of the strength training routines are all body weight exercises [push-ups, plyometric workouts such as squats, lunges, jump tucks, etc.], so there is no equipment required. P90X can also yield the same results, but it's more geared towards strength training and muscle definition, so resistance bands/weights/pull-up bar are somewhat required to do a lot of the routiens. The nutrition guide isn't required for either, as it's more of a literal guide for those who are confused on how to choose healthier alternatives for their meals.

The one main difference is that with P90X, there are modified moves for those who can't perform specific routines. Insanity pretty much requires you to perform with proper form in order to work the correct muscle groups, though you can take as many breaks as needed in order to maintain performing with proper form. Both are good investments.

If you're still confused, flip a coin, and be happy with whichever one you choose.

Thanks Anubis! This really helped me out...and with you confirming I'll need the pullup bar in the first 30 days, Insanity is looking more like the best choice.

Question: What was your fitness level at the start of Insanity? Did you have to modify moves?
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Insanity requires a higher starting level of fitness than P90x so if you are out of shape P90x is the better one to start with.

I'm doing a hybrid doubles schedule of Insanity and P90x, I get the better cardio of Insanity and the weights workouts of P90x. I'm on week 6, so deep into Max territory. If you can get both a hybrid program might suit you better.