Beginner runner

Options
Hey! I'm a beginner runner trying to find more motivation and support! Any suggestions!?!? Also looking to help with getting and giving helpful info around lengthening runs and shortening times!!!!

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Just do it... :)

the more miles you run, the faster you will become, naturally. Build a base before you start worrying about getting faster. An app like C25k will help you get going at a healthy pace.

Check with your local running store about their weekly runs or go on meetup to find local running groups (or start your own)
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    FitnessGirl11mfp Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm also a runner :-) just finished wk 5 Day 3 of c25k. I love the app! Add me if you'd like!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Just do it... :)

the more miles you run, the faster you will become, naturally. Build a base before you start worrying about getting faster. An app like C25k will help you get going at a healthy pace.

Check with your local running store about their weekly runs or go on meetup to find local running groups (or start your own)

This. Forget time right now. In fact, to build a running base you may find you'll be running slower than you ever thought possible.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Start slow. Turtle pace if you must. Know your limits so you don't end up injured. :)
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm also a runner :-) just finished wk 5 Day 3 of c25k. I love the app! Add me if you'd like!

@FitnessGirl11mfp you go, girl!! nicely done :)
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to get into running, would definitely recommend C25K like others have said :smile: good luck! Start off small and don't push yourself too hard to begin with, slow and steady wins the race as they say :yum:
  • malgamin
    malgamin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Like the above comments Start slow or maybe a bit of interval training maybe 30 second jog then a minute walk a bit like the couch to 5k and when you have completed a 5 k say on the treadmill try going for a park run. Time doesn't matter as some people walk them but it gives you a good Base to build on.

If you do a park run hover at the back and find a good pace.

Good luck
  • alexcamejo01
    alexcamejo01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The short version: Set a goal and hit it, increase your goal and hit it, repeat, stay consistent.

The not so short version:
    You know yourself, you know your limits. It's important to pace yourself and don't push yourself too hard, but you still need to push yourself to try to do better than last week.

*Set a daily goal*. If you know you can run or jog 1 mile without a problem, for week one, try to do 1.25 miles, and when that becomes easy, increase your goal.

Most importantly, Take your time, but hit your goal! It doesn't matter it takes you 10 min or 15 min to do 1 mile, but if that was your goal, hit it. The magic about hitting you goals is that it creates a mindset. The mindset of "I'm done when I'm done, and done is when I finish what I came here to do, not when I'm tired"

Patience and perseverance are your allies.

• tshook12397
    tshook12397 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner too. I started running about 4 weeks ago.I just started having a goal to run at least 2 miles a day (which later turned into only 5-6 times a week because I needed rest days). This is the longest I've ever kept a workout streak. I've found that the more rest days I take in a row, the harder it is to get back on track.

So if you want to have a goal of how long you're going to run for (Whether it's time or distance) and adjust it accordingly and then just keep at it. It's fun to see how much you improve every week.

I haven't been running for very long so that's really all the advice I have to offer but maybe it will be encouraging?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I was a "I can't run because my knees hurt" person. I started slow by walking several miles each morning. I then added interval running by playing ingress.com, a GPS based game. I transitioned into just running and focused on building to a set amount of miles. I would then keep the miles constant and focus on time reduction. I now just run for fun and fitness so I start with a 9 + minute mile and finish with about a 10 + mile pace. I have settled in at 6 miles on my runs because it works out to be one hour and 10k steps when I get back to the house. I have done three half marathons and have a goal to do a full marathon one day. My 60 year old sister keeps trying to get me to do a full Iron Man with her but I doubt I ever will.