Activity really matters, people

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I got a new Fitbit for Christmas. I used one for a bit 3.5 years ago when I was losing weight, but it was a clip on, and I stopped using it in the Summer because I wasn't going to clip it on my bra... So I got a charge HR 2 this time.

I knew this already, but it's become extremely obvious that activity makes a HUGE difference. For reference, I'm 5'5", 138 lbs (and 38yo). I lost 80 lbs, been maintaining for 2.5 years (put on 3-5 pounds over the Holidays that I'm working on losing now). Fitbit's default calories for me to maintain my weight is 2335, assuming that I meet all the daily goals (250 steps every hour, 10 stairs a day, 10k steps).

In those 3 weeks, my calories have been all over the place from 1600 calories in a day to 3300. And all that is from my activity (my main exercise is just walking).

So yes, weight loss depends on diet... but you would really make it MUCH easier on you if you increased your activity too. I've been on a Fitbit challenge with friends this week and trying to walk more and yes, I'm much hungrier from all that walking - but it's so much easier to stay under my goal too... I can eat pretty much what I want and still keep a deficit.

But it's so important to eat back exercise calories too... Yesterday I walked 38k steps. That's 16 miles total. I would have crashed and burned if I had stayed at my goal of 1800 calories (I've been eating 400-500 calories over that all week and I still have enough of a deficit to lose half a pound so far in just 3 days).

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience.

Replies

• jonjaxmom
    jonjaxmom Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Great point! I find this to be very true! I am a Type 1 Diabetic since 2004, and activity makes a big difference in how my body responds to food. Also, because of my disease, really HAVE to eat something most every evening before bed (to avoid going too low in my sleep). That's not always what I want to do, though, because there are times I am really not hungry or have maxed out my calories!! But say during my day, I go over my calorie allotment by 200 calories. I know I can go on my stationary bike and burn 400 calories doing an hour of exercise after dinner, and then I will be able to eat a decent 200 calorie or less snack to satisfy my blood glucose needs yet remain on track.

For me, this is all really just a crazy numbers game at the end of the day. Yes, I want the best nutrients as possible. But in terms of the scale, its all about the numbers sometimes.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I no longer "count" regular, everyday type activities anymore as they don't seem to have much impact of my weight!!! Walking is one of them, regardless how many hours and I could walk for 3 hours daily!!!!

These days I pay attention to activities that raise my heart rate to 85% of its max performance. I read that's the fat burning zone and very beneficial to heart health which seems to make a difference in my wt control effort. (Unfortunately the knees can't seem to keep up :( )

How immediately do you eat back exercise calories? I suppose in the same day or immediately after the exercise session like most people?

I don't necessarily eat in that pattern. Occasionally I find that my workout performance or overall physical feeling feels the best after 10 or 24 hours since the last big meal. This pattern is important in my "diet" because it allows flexibility with meals and also optimizes my body activities.

• Francl27
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I no longer "count" regular, everyday type activities anymore as they don't seem to have much impact of my weight!!! Walking is one of them, regardless how many hours and I could walk for 3 hours daily!!!!

These days I pay attention to activities that raise my heart rate to 85% of its max performance. I read that's the fat burning zone and very beneficial to heart health which seems to make a difference in my wt control effort. (Unfortunately the knees can't seem to keep up :( )

How immediately do you eat back exercise calories? I suppose in the same day or immediately after the exercise session like most people?

I don't necessarily eat in that pattern. Occasionally I find that my workout performance or overall physical feeling feels the best after 10 or 24 hours since the last big meal. This pattern is important in my "diet" because it allows flexibility with meals and also optimizes my body activities.

Well for most of my walking my heart rate is usually over 100 (usually 120-140).. which really isn't bad. My resting HR is 60-68, depending on the time of the month.

I don't typically eat after exercise.. just when I'm hungry.

Most of my walking is for exercise though. On a busy day baking at home I barely hit 8k steps.
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I got a new Fitbit for Christmas. I used one for a bit 3.5 years ago when I was losing weight, but it was a clip on, and I stopped using it in the Summer because I wasn't going to clip it on my bra... So I got a charge HR 2 this time.

I knew this already, but it's become extremely obvious that activity makes a HUGE difference. For reference, I'm 5'5", 138 lbs (and 38yo). I lost 80 lbs, been maintaining for 2.5 years (put on 3-5 pounds over the Holidays that I'm working on losing now). Fitbit's default calories for me to maintain my weight is 2335, assuming that I meet all the daily goals (250 steps every hour, 10 stairs a day, 10k steps).

In those 3 weeks, my calories have been all over the place from 1600 calories in a day to 3300. And all that is from my activity (my main exercise is just walking).

So yes, weight loss depends on diet... but you would really make it MUCH easier on you if you increased your activity too. I've been on a Fitbit challenge with friends this week and trying to walk more and yes, I'm much hungrier from all that walking - but it's so much easier to stay under my goal too... I can eat pretty much what I want and still keep a deficit.

But it's so important to eat back exercise calories too... Yesterday I walked 38k steps. That's 16 miles total. I would have crashed and burned if I had stayed at my goal of 1800 calories (I've been eating 400-500 calories over that all week and I still have enough of a deficit to lose half a pound so far in just 3 days).

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience.

I am tired just reading that you walked 38,000 steps. That is awesome. I am happy when I hit 14,000

Haha it was a very long day. I really wanted to hit 40,000 but my legs just couldn't take it anymore. Before this challenge I would typically have 14-15k a day. This week it's been closer to 20k. I don't think I'll be able to walk at all this week end at this point.
  • Francl27
    Options

50% of my daily calorie burn comes from "regular, everyday type activities". If I ignored them, I'd be massively undereating (as I was when I first joined MFP and made the mistake of following the activity level instructions which place me at "lightly active" for teaching as my job).

(BMR ~ 1450 cals/day; daily burn ~ 2750 cals/day. I "work out" for two hours a week; that's less than 1000 cals/week.)

Yep. I burned as many calories that busy day on my feet at home than if I walked for 1.5 hour then stayed on the couch all day.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    My step goal is 8000 a day
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Omg it just deleted most of my post. Or it's glitching so i can't see it...ugh.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Does your activity level account for your hours of walking? I have a desk job, so use the Sedentary activity level, and count my walks separately (or let my FitBit count them.)

You may have very different stats than I do, but if I walked for three hours, MFP would give me 890 calories, and I need to eat back at least 50% of that.

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Yes to everything you posted, especially in eating back exercise calories to fuel properly. Also, congrats on reaching 38k steps! The 30k+ range is so hard to hit.
    Over winter break, I came across a new competitive stepper in a challenge, but my highest steps were ~35k. That 40k badge looked good, but my legs weren't going past that xD
  • Francl27
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Yes to everything you posted, especially in eating back exercise calories to fuel properly. Also, congrats on reaching 38k steps! The 30k+ range is so hard to hit.
    Over winter break, I came across a new competitive stepper in a challenge, but my highest steps were ~35k. That 40k badge looked good, but my legs weren't going past that xD

Lol yep. I was outside walking, and at 35k my legs were like NOPE. So I went back home, just ended up doing 3k extra steps getting there and at home later.
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You guys are making want to buy a Fitbit now. lol I was going to just get a watch, but this seems a much better alternative.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Does your activity level account for your hours of walking? I have a desk job, so use the Sedentary activity level, and count my walks separately (or let my FitBit count them.)

You may have very different stats than I do, but if I walked for three hours, MFP would give me 890 calories, and I need to eat back at least 50% of that.

I set light activity level as I think that's what it is if I take an average of 7 days which include everything except my competitive tennis. I also have a desk job but even that doesn't mean my day to day activeness is consistent. I walk as much as I could convince my wife and my daughter to go, plus my own walking at work when I need to clear my head.

I think the point I want to make is everything is accounted for, whether your activity is a lot or medium or even little, and the level over time matches your eating (or it should)! You no longer be able to notice a huge difference. My sister in law doesn't seem to exercise or hugely active but she is at her good weight and looks fit. I guess she just goes on her days but eats appropriately so exercise or activities to her is a low priority. On the opposite end I see people struggle with intensive daily exercise but constantly complain about not being able to lose pounds.

This understanding is important to me since it helped me to figure out my default/natural self when it comes to having an activity level and eating.