Lets talk about swimming!

Options
Bites_2017
Bites_2017 Posts: 33 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'd love to start swimming laps. I run past my the town pool every day, and think 'I could really use a less impact cardio routine'. There's only ever 1 or 2 people there early in the morning, but I'm still... scared?

I have no idea where to start?!
Please give me all your advice!

Is there lane rules? What stroke is best? Benifits? Downsides? Success stories? What do I wear?

I've heard of gym intimidation... but I'm experiencing pool intimidation!

Tell me anything that'll help give me the courage to take the dive ;)

Replies

• queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Lane rules: you get your own lane if there are open ones. If all lanes are full you can ask someone to share. If you are sharing then keep to the left and try to not kick them when you pass each other.
    What to wear: a full piece swimsuit is good, it should be tighter to prevent drag but you really don't need to run out and spend a bunch of money on a new suit right away, it just might make you a tiny bit faster if you get competitive about it. Just wear a suit that wont fall off when you get going. You do need some decent goggles because you need to keep your head it the water to do strokes properly and get a rhythm to your breathing. Buy them from a sporting goods store. My speedo goggles have lasted 10+ years and I think they are worth the extra couple bucks.
    Strokes: I would start out by mastering the crawl with proper breathing and the breast strokes. You can find youtube videos explaining both. Try to focus on keeping your body straight and not using one arm or leg more than the other. You can also grab a kickboard and get a decent workout that way. Be careful with your knees, if you flick your feet too hard you can mess them up so start slow and get get a good warm up.
    Good luck and enjoy!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Check out if there's adult swim
    lessons on offer, it should boost your confidence in the water. There may be different lanes for different speeds of swimming, potentially a sign at the end of the lane telling you the speed and which direction to swim in.
    If someone is faster than you and you're at the wall at the same time it's courteous to let them go in front of you. If they tap you on the toes then that's them asking you to let them go in front.

Usually you can swim any stroke you like so long as you can swim it and not bump into other swimmers!

A hat will save your hair getting ruined, goggles to protect your eyes, ear plugs if you like to protect your ears. Nose clip if you want it or if like me you're allergic to the pool chemicals.

You need to swim really pretty fast and with a lot of effort to see a significant calorie burn but yet even a gentle swim can make you feel pretty hungry, be careful not to eat back what you burn plus more and be honest when logging about the time you spent actually swimming vs being in the pool (chatting, having a rest, fiddling with kit etc).

So much more I could say but you're probably already bored and besides there is a swimming group on here who you should join for more support & guidance :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Some lanes are marked as 'fast' or 'slow' so be aware of the speed of other swimmers. If a swimmer comes up behind you fast, they may tap you on the ankle as a request to overtake. Let them and consider going into another lane.
    If you are stopped to catch your breath, do it at the end of a lane and keep to the side so those doing continuous laps can do so. Don't sit there and chat to your mates ( I see a lot of that!!!)

Consider getting some one-to-one coaching. One session can GREATLY improve your stroke, then you can go off and practice. Learning front crawl well, with appropriate breathing, will transform your experience. Goggles are a great thing. I got some prescription ones pretty cheaply from Amazon and they are great.

Enjoy. You'll ache because you will use different muscles, but I find swimming really peaceful and sorts my day out.
  • malgamin
    malgamin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like you feared joining in but I bit the bullet over a year ago and never looked back.

Bite the bullet and just go, I feared what people would think of me as a 21 stone bloke with bits I shouldn't have hanging out but once you get over the first or even second go you just no longer care. I find that everyone there at early doors are a lot older than I and also have bits they shouldn't.

My pool has a fast, medium and slow lane which can have anywhere between 3 or 4 people on each and a larger open are for those who are slower. The separated lanes runs clockwise so just stick to those rules. On the first go (if you can swim) stick to the slower lanes and see what speed you go at.

If you can't swim there are regular adult swim lessons and it is more common than you think.

Good luck and I hope you join in, it's also quite a social thing as well.

P.s. lost a good half a stone from swimming alone. It's a good workout.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I love swimming laps (it's my "Zen") and rotate among breast, crawl, and back. I've taken the adult swim classes a few different times over the years, after a many-year hiatus from the pool, to get my technique to a better place. I've always found them quite helpful and just finished some before Christmas. We also have an advanced adult swim class where we do various drills, etc that help with stroke techniques. It's formatted such that you can keep retaking it, which I plan to do. We have people of a wide range of swimming abilities, but at our pool they do want you to know all strokes (basics) and be able to swim one length of the pool without stopping. For me, it's not vigorous enough for a "workout", but technique can always be improved and I also enjoy the camaraderie.
    As stated above, your pool should have lane rules posted, and if they don't, just ask.