Help

Options
Im really depressed because the numbers on the scale aren't moving as fast as before.
I've lost 35lbs already and have 20 more to go.
Seem to be at a standstill. How can I get scale to move again?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your calorie goals? Has anything changed about your diet/exercise and how you log? The closer you get to your goal the slower the weight loss will become.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    It always gets slower the closer you are to your goal - you may want to manage your expectations to adjust for that. "Aren't moving as fast" means the numbers are still moving, and not actually at a standstill. Progress is progress. And you lose more water weight at the beginning along with actual fat loss, whereas at this point it's probably mostly just fat loss so not as impressive on the scale but still great! Don't feel depressed- either accept that things will now go more slowly, or make changes.

Here are a few ideas to get things going faster (if you want)...

It could be that you're not being as tight with your logging & adherence - in which case try being 100% accurate and honest and sticking to your calorie goal and having less cheats and less estimating...

It could be that you're not in as much of a deficit - have you adjusted your calorie goal down now that you have lost weight? As you lose weight your maintenance calories are less so you need to reduce your daily calorie goal accordingly if you want to continue to lose at the same rate...

It could be that your metabolism has slowed and adjusted down- this is a normal side effect of being in a prolonged calorie deficit. You may want to take a break and eat at maintenance calories for 1 to 3 weeks to let it recover, then go back into a deficit. You might gain a couple of pounds when you do this but they will come off again when you go back to a deficit. This is called a diet break.

You could try increasing your exercise intensity, since the same exercises burn less calories now that your body is smaller and you weigh less and you've become stronger & more efficient.

How aware are you of your macros? Do you track macros or just calories? If you aren't getting enough protein and are going way over on carbs that might affect things. Try to hit your macronutrients goals, particularly protein. Also try to get your daily fiber requirement. Slow digestion/being backed up can mask weight loss.

Reduce salt, excess carbs, processed foods, and alcohol... all of these can cause water retention that masks weight loss. Alcohol actually inhibits fat burning too. Also try to reduce stress and get plenty of sleep! This helps hormonal function and weight loss.

Do strength training exercises if you don't already. Using your muscles makes the body prioritize burning body fat for energy and will make you leaner and should help keep your metabolism from slowing too much.

That's about all I can think of for now, hope it helps!!

• courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Oh also make sure to take a multivitamin and fish oil. And make sure you don't have any vitamin deficiencies- check with your doctor you'll need a blood test for that. If you have any deficiencies then supplement or do whatever your doctor advises to fix them.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Have you been adjusting your calorie goals to keep up with your weight loss? Your TDEE changes as you lose weight.

Go to Settings->Update diet/fitness profile. It should show your current weight on the current weight line, so you shouldn't have to change any numbers, but double-check it anyway. Then click on the Update Profile button. It should recompute all your nutrition goals.
  • iamjen2000
    iamjen2000 Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I take pills for high cholesterol, blood pressure, raynaud's syndrome. Also fish oil pills, probiotics, and vitamins.
    I also watch my sodium and read food labels. I don't drink. No vitamin deficiencies since I take a health risk assessment every year. Although I'm prediabetic.
    I have cutback on lots of food and gave up even more.
    I'm on a 1200 calorie intake.

Appreciate all advice.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    iamjen2000 wrote: »
    I take pills for high cholesterol, blood pressure, raynaud's syndrome. Also fish oil pills, probiotics, and vitamins.
    I also watch my sodium and read food labels. I don't drink. No vitamin defiencies since I take a health risk assessment every year. Although I'm prediabetic.
    I have cutback on lots of food and gave up even more.
    I'm on a 1200 calorie intake.

Appreciate all advice.

Are you weighing all solids in grams? What is your current height and weight?
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    If you're focusing on the weight number, maybe focus on how your clothes fit? An improvement in your strength? Increasing your walking/exercise time or resistance?

I had to take my eye off the scale because it wasn't moving quickly enough and learn to focus on how my exercise routines got easier/ more intense. I keep my eye on moving from walking the whole way to jogging what I could. That helped me get through the times when I couldn't lose an ounce....
  • iamjen2000
    iamjen2000 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also forgot to say I can't smell, taste and never get full no matter how much I eat. My stomach feels the same after I eat as before I ate.
    I also started to do core workouts, bought a balance ball. I usually walk on treadmill.
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to goal the slower it is for the scale number to drop, but hey that's a good thing! Gives your skin time to bounce back haha

But seriously when you say standstill.... What does that mean? Like nothing 0 ziltch?? And for how long? I average about .5lbs a week and I have 20lbs left. Some weeks nothing and then whoosh!

Your body may be holding out, and you might have a whoosh. You'll love it ;)

I don't know for sure because I can't see your diary. Are you using a scale and mfp the right way? If you are then....

Patience Daniel son.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Maybe you need a diet break then. 1200 is the absolute minimum calories so your metabolism will slow down faster. Might be time to reset.