Keeping the faith with teens in the house

Options
Anyone have tips on how to keep up with your new goals while you have a teens in the house that don't need to watch their weight?

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Get them to cook meals with you, do activities together, any way you can get them involved. Also, I'm guessing you buy the groceries, and they can buy whatever treats they want with their allowance/wages.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Think about what you said: Do you really only do the things your kids need to do?
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Oh, so you have folks in the house willing to eat all your leftovers, so you're not tempted to snack on them? Great!
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Here is an idea. Only buy them the junk you detest but know they love. I hate icecream.. therefore icecream is allowable..(lactose free for my daughter of course). I hate most chocolate. I detest the texture of cake and the taste of icing. I allow these things but in moderation. I dont let my kids raid the pantry or fridge. They dont get to snack around.. they have three meals a day and if they dont like whats for dinner or show up late.. they go hungry. Tonight my daughter was told 3 times dinner was ready. Each time she said "OK! Ill eat later!" Later came and went and everything got put away. If she wants to eat she can reheat and clean up after. If she dont want to clean up, she can starve. Chances are she will choose starvation as her laziness seems to win out more often than not.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different calorie needs. Don't eat like you are a teenager who doesn't need to lose weight when you are an overweight adult.
    You do you. Track your food. Weigh your food. Plan your eating. Buy food you like that fits your goals.
    Don't eat your kid's food. Don't blame your teen if you go over your calorie goal. You put the food in your body not your teen.
    Put food away out of sight. Divide treats/snacks into individual portions.
    Buy more fruits and vegetables and less high calorie low nutrition snacks. Have things like hummus, popcorn, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese on hand for filling snacks.
    Teach your kid to prepare their own food.
    Exercise together.

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of things that I'd be ok with the kids eating but that I just can't moderate my intake of. Cheese crackers come to mind. It's become sort of an inside family joke. They willingly accommodate my need to keep it out of the house and I get them a single-size packs once in a while. It's a team effort sometimes. :)
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say I feel your pain. I have a husband and 2 teen boys at home. It's not necessarily a junk food issue, it's a quantity of food issue. My boys need massive massive quantities of food. So when I make chicken breasts, I cook 4-5 pounds minimum at a time. I make 6 cups of (dry) rice at a time. Salads are by the Costco bag full. My life currently revolves around trying to get enough calories into my boys (who are also athletes) which can desensitize me to my own much lessor caloric needs.