Is okay to balance out what I eat as long as it's in my calorie range?

Options
dniania
dniania Posts: 251 Member
Like eating what I want but making sure I proportion how many or how much I eat

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Are you asking if you can lose weight by creating a caloric deficit?
    Yes.

Granted, it would be good if you ate nutritious foods most of the time...
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as it's within my calorie goal for the day or week and don't really eat clean/healthy - it's worked for me for awhile now. :)
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh totally! That's the best part, you can sneak in donuts or wine or ice cream and still lose weight without going crazy :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Oh my gosh totally! That's the best part, you can sneak in donuts or wine or ice cream and still lose weight without going crazy :)

If you're gonna do it, don't sneak the things you want. Just have them.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    What is your question?
  • dniania
    Options
    Are you asking if you can lose weight by creating a caloric deficit?
    Yes.

Granted, it would be good if you ate nutritious foods most of the time...

Yes that was what I was asking
  • dniania
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as it's within my calorie goal for the day or week and don't really eat clean/healthy - it's worked for me for awhile now. :)

Really? Today I had candy and a little soda and I didn't go over my budget I was just wondering
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yes. o:)
  • dniania
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »

Thanks!!
  • dniania
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    What is your question?

I was wondering can you lose weight and eat what you want as long as it's in your calorie range
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's the beauty of CICO! It's not what you eat, it's how much you eat. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    dniania wrote: »
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    What is your question?

I was wondering can you lose weight and eat what you want as long as it's in your calorie range

Yes. Here is my standard advice:

1. Enter your stats (height/weight/gender/age/activity level) in MFP along with a weight loss goal and a reasonable rate of loss. For less than 50 lbs to lose, 1 lb/week is recommended.
    2. MFP will calculate a calorie goal for you with a deficit built in based on the rate of loss you selected.
    3. Eat a variety of foods to reach that calorie goal, focusing on foods that provide nutrition (macro and micro nutrients), satiety (fill you up) and enjoyment (leave some room for treats).
    4. Log everything you eat as accurately as possible, ideally using a food scale.
    5. Exercise if you like, logging and eating back a portion of those calories.
    6. Monitor and adjust over time.
    7. Be patient.

For more reading:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Yes you can eat what you want and still lose as long as you are in a deficit (Google twinkle diet). The problem lies with macro deficiencies (too little protein and good fats) and micro deficiencies which cause more problems than what it's worth (i.e. skinny fat, vitamin deficiencies) to eat just anything. The 80/20 rule is good to follow - 80% healthy foods, 20% what ever you want (wine, cookies, ice cream).
  • dniania
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Yes you can eat what you want and still lose as long as you are in a deficit (Google twinkle diet). The problem lies with macro deficiencies (too little protein and good fats) and micro deficiencies which cause more problems than what it's worth (i.e. skinny fat, vitamin deficiencies) to eat just anything. The 80/20 rule is good to follow - 80% healthy foods, 20% what ever you want (wine, cookies, ice cream). [/quote
    Yes, that's the beauty of CICO! It's not what you eat, it's how much you eat. :)

Thanks!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Agreed - eat what you like, but to stay healthy I think it's wise to keep the majority of your diet made up of a variety of foods that give you good nutrition and then fit in a bit of other stuff that is just for fun.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You can follow the 80/20 or the 90/10, :)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You can follow the 80/20 or the 90/10, :)

Yep also good. Just as long as you get the ratio right and not 20/80 or 10/90 :wink: