Is my deficit too much?

Options
I've recently restarted MFP with a 1200 target, and am exercising. Over the week, I've been eating on average 1500, but with the exercise, the net is about 900. I don't feel hungry, am eating nutritious 3 meals a day and some healthy snacks. I'm 5ft8, 207. Is this net too low...i don't particularly want to eat more in a normal day.

Replies

• tannic2k7
    tannic2k7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would say as long as your body isn't showing signs that you're not eating enough you're fine. If you start going harder exercises then you might need to eat more.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Ideally you should be netting 1200 calories. But since exercise calories can often be overestimated, many people will only eat back 50% of those back, which is pretty much what you're doing. If you do start feeling hungrier or lose too quickly (outside of the initial water weight loss), then eat a little more.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It's too low. How are you measuring your food though? If not with a scale, you could easily be netting 1200 anyway.
  • laohare
    laohare Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Will move to being a bit more diligent with weighing...I do it with dry pasta and the like, but had been using cup for oatmeal. When bulk preparing soups I typically weigh things like potatoes, but just count things like carrots.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I eat 100s of calories in vegetables per day. Oatmeal should be weighed for sure. Calorie dense things like peanut butter, avocado, cheese, etc...important.
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    It's too low. How are you measuring your food though? If not with a scale, you could easily be netting 1200 anyway.

I find most people that work out hard and are "under" their calorie goal are not logging accurately.
  • bbell1985
    Options

I find most people that work out hard and are "under" their calorie goal are not logging accurately.

I agree actually. I'm just suggesting tightening up logging and being aware of that, to be more accurate. It will be beneficial in the long run.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    laohare wrote: »
    I've recently restarted MFP with a 1200 target, and am exercising. Over the week, I've been eating on average 1500, but with the exercise, the net is about 900. I don't feel hungry, am eating nutritious 3 meals a day and some healthy snacks. I'm 5ft8, 207. Is this net too low...i don't particularly want to eat more in a normal day.

You'll know if the amount your are eating is too little due to lethargy, general grogginess and increased hunger.
  • tannic2k7
    tannic2k7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

One of the main reason why I stick to packaged snacks and stuff I can track.